E-readers in the classroom

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Rumbly
Favorite Book: Warlock of the Magus World Series
Bookshelf Size: 25

Re: E-readers in the classroom

Post by Rumbly »

I graduated few years back.
Many of my professors didn't offer an e-book format for the main textbooks (it's like they want you to buy the hardcover which comes with the online code) since some expected people to bring the physical textbook with them to class because the professor hated laptops or digital devices in general since they're distracting to the lecture.

But I had online classes that were courses with online textbooks. I don't remember them being exactly affordable either, but at the very least I won't have issues getting the text if it's an e-book.
faceadventure
Currently Reading: Randy Love...at your service
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faceadventure.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by faceadventure »

Using ereaders in classrooms would be really good. No more carrying around tons of heavy books. And it would save paper and ink and reduce waste. Electronic devices are not really good for the environment either but it's better than chopping down trees.
Momof5_lelje
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Momof5_lelje »

I think that within the next decade all schools especially middle/high schools with do away with text books and add e-readers. In college I honestly think that the E-books will be cheaper than the actual text books.
rave_2
Currently Reading: A Word so Fitly Spoken
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rave-2.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by rave_2 »

I've had a couple of professors do that, but I mostly get the printed version just in case I need to cite them for essays. Not that it can't be done with an ebook, but I find citing the printed version easier. I think that while ereaders might be simpler and convenient, printed books won't go away. Some professors hate devices, so sometimes having the textbook on an ereader is not an option.
Just reading... :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyinggray:
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
readsbyarun
Favorite Book: Wilderness Cry
Currently Reading: Spirituality in the 21st Century
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readsbyarun.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by readsbyarun »

It is really a good idea for implementing the usage of e readers in the classrooms. It really helps in streamline the portion of study material.
marksm121
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by marksm121 »

The ebook is good but for the classroom, every teacher/professor will not recommend reading an ebook. They will recommend the only paper books.
marksm121

Post by marksm121 »

Universities or colleges should use ebooks.
RavingReads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ravingreads.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by RavingReads »

Definitely think this should be a thing. I love using them for my textbooks and being able to use them whenever because they are mch more portable than the actual textbook.
beatrice_mom

Post by beatrice_mom »

marksm121 wrote: 26 Oct 2020, 06:17 The ebook is good but for the classroom, every teacher/professor will not recommend reading an ebook. They will recommend the only paper books.
That's for sure. In addition, illustrations, graphs, diagrams are correctly located in paper books. Looking at e-books, there may be a problem with the display of graphics. This makes it difficult to use such a tutorial. It seems to me that e-readers are still more adapted for reading literature, in which illustrations are not required.
Nichole Kurns
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Still Life
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nichole-kurns.html
Latest Review: Intricate Mandalas with Inspirational Quotes: by Big Initial Studios

Post by Nichole Kurns »

I am all for e-books in the classroom especially on the college level. I have noticed an increase of instructors having e-books as an option (I work in education) and sometimes recommend to students if they cost less than hard/paper cover texts.
AvaParker

Post by AvaParker »

I think it would be a great idea to be allowed to use ebooks at universities/colleges/high schools etc.
I agree with the fact that textbooks are pricey.
Not all of my teachers and professors would allow me to bring ones into the classroom, which is a pity.
beatrice_mom

Post by beatrice_mom »

AvaParker wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 14:30 I think it would be a great idea to be allowed to use ebooks at universities/colleges/high schools etc.
I agree with the fact that textbooks are pricey.
Not all of my teachers and professors would allow me to bring ones into the classroom, which is a pity.
It's a great idea if the tutorials are all adapted to fit e-books. It will be really cheaper, and students will not have to lug around huge stacks of books.
marksm121

Post by marksm121 »

In the classroom, I was a textbook reader only not an e-reader but sometimes I read e-book also.
63tty
Favorite Author: Tayma Tameem
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 349
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-63tty.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White
fav_author_id: 199293

Post by 63tty »

My school doesn't assign any e-books, they just recommend them, so all costs and expenses are on the student. Anyway, I usually buy hardcopy textbooks, and they are so expensive.
“If love is the answer, could you rephrase the question?”
~Lily Tomlin
Kiran Kanwar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kiran-kanwar.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Kiran Kanwar »

None of my professors has recommended any e-books but I use them quite extensively. In Masters, you have to research a topic from multiple sources and thus it doesn't make sense to purchase or get printouts of all reading material. So, either I go to the university library or just get e-books.
But I always do have one physical book per subject. I think e-books won't be able to replace physical books so soon.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”