Nook vs. Kindle

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
El_greco
Bookshelf Size: 0

Nook vs. Kindle

Post by El_greco »

Which is better? Or if i put it in another way, is Nook equally as good as Kindle?

And another urgent question before my purchase: What's with reading .pdf files, do i have to convert them or sth, or just load them in the reader?

Thank you!
‎"Sounds to me like Anthony junior may have stumbled on to existentialism." - " f****g' internet..."
love_aud
Favorite Author: Ray Bradbury
Favorite Book: Memoirs of a Geisha
Currently Reading: Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
fav_author_id: 2498

Post by love_aud »

I have a Kindle and my parents have a Nook. I love my kindle because the pages actually look like pages of a book. My parents love their nook because of the App use and internet. So if you're only going to get it for reading go for the kindle!
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

I do not have a Kindle so I can not give a fair comparison. But I love my Nook.

One thing I am familiar with because I have researched it since I have been preparing an ebook review distribution service is the for formats each one can handle. All of the Kindles except the Fire cannot read EPUB ebooks, which I think is the most widely used ebook format particularly if you are getting the books from a third-party source such a library or website. The Nook can do PDF as can most Kindles. The Nook can't use MOBI, and the Kindle can but I think MOBI is only as popular as it is because it is used for the Kindle. Personally, I think EPUB support is much better than MOBI support.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
El_greco

Post by El_greco »

Thank you for your answers, but it seems Kindle is a must. They don't ship Nook to Europe :S
‎"Sounds to me like Anthony junior may have stumbled on to existentialism." - " f****g' internet..."
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

Out of curiosity, is the Nook pretty much completely unavailable in Europe or is it just from the seller you are using? Just wondering so maybe in the future I can save someone else the hassle of finding this information on their own like you had to.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
El_greco

Post by El_greco »

I was trying to buy it via Barnes&Noble directly, and their customer service told me there's currently no way of getting it shipped to Europe. I think there must be a blockade of some sort also on other sites selling Nook. Don't know actually, waiting for Kindle to arrive now :D
tonya10057
Favorite Author: Nora Roberts
Favorite Book: honest illusions
Currently Reading: The next always
fav_author_id: 3258

Post by tonya10057 »

I have a nook,and I love it,I don't know about the kindle though.
slpeters2009
Favorite Author: Sarah Addison Allen
Favorite Book: Garden Spells
Currently Reading: Distant Hours by Kate Norton
fav_author_id: 1802

Post by slpeters2009 »

I have the NOOK color with the latest update---wow! I love it---it was a gift from my significant other making it all the more enjoyable! :wink:
Robin jackson

Post by Robin jackson »

The Nook is hands down by far the BEST reader on the market. I do not get eye strain as I do on the screen of the Ipad and the Kindle. Loading new books is a breeze.
moonbutterfly

Post by moonbutterfly »

I have both and they are really too similar for this to be a deciding factor. Since you will be locked into their website and service, I would make that the determining factor, not the device itself. I have both eReaders and the Kindle Fire. When deciding which tablet to buy, I bought the Kindle Fire. The reality is the Nook Color was the better device, but Amazon had the better service. Another issue is will Barnes and Noble be around another ten years. Amazon most likely will be.
Kowalskil

Post by Kowalskil »

moonbutterfly wrote:I have both and they are really too similar for this to be a deciding factor. Since you will be locked into their website and service, I would make that the determining factor, not the device itself. I have both eReaders and the Kindle Fire. When deciding which tablet to buy, I bought the Kindle Fire. The reality is the Nook Color was the better device, but Amazon had the better service. Another issue is will Barnes and Noble be around another ten years. Amazon most likely will be.
Is it true that one gets more reading hours from a fully charged Kindle Battery than from a fully charged Nook battery?

Ludwik Kowalski (see Wikipedia)
moonbutterfly

Post by moonbutterfly »

Kowalskil wrote:Is it true that one gets more reading hours from a fully charged Kindle Battery than from a fully charged Nook battery?.
If there is a difference it's not that noticeable. Wi-Fi however sucks the life out of both of them.
Kowalskil

Post by Kowalskil »

moonbutterfly wrote:
Kowalskil wrote:Is it true that one gets more reading hours from a fully charged Kindle Battery than from a fully charged Nook battery?.
If there is a difference it's not that noticeable. Wi-Fi however sucks the life out of both of them.
That
moonbutterfly wrote:
Thanks, that is why I keep Wi-Fi off most of the time.

Ludwik Kowalski (see Wikipedia)
Trcapro

Post by Trcapro »

While these are probably the top two e-reader out there, my personal opinion is that the Kindle is the way to go.
I am a poet and writer for hire from Pittsburgh, PA. "Shadows and Shade" by Jason Greiner "Wishing Wells" by Jason Greiner
TLESLIE89

Post by TLESLIE89 »

I like the Kindle better for sure.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”