Nook vs. Kindle

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
lolashoes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolashoes.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Re: Nook vs. Kindle

Post by lolashoes »

Kindle all the way. I also have a Kindle app on my phone which is I use more than the Kindle device itself, but yes, I'd choose Kindle over Nook any day.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
rodidas
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodidas.html

Post by rodidas »

As far as quality, I found them both equal. However, the kindle offers a bigger and cheaper collection of books to choose from, in my opinion.
Becky Mb
Currently Reading: Remembering Dresden
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becky-mb.html

Post by Becky Mb »

I had a Nook color until it died and wanted to access the library, but wanted Kindle for the future. What I ended up doing was getting a Samsung Galaxy Tablet and downloaded both the Kindle app and the Nook app. The best of both worlds!
Thimble
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 6338">Iron Kissed</a>
Currently Reading: A Wise Man's Fear
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thimble.html
Latest Review: The Captain's Collie by Ace Mask
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Thimble »

I have the original version of the Nook Glowlight and a Kindle Paperwhite. I find that more books are available for Kindle than for Nook. With my Nook, I have issues with the turn page buttons sometimes not working or getting stuck so it keeps turning the page. With Kindle, I have issues with it turning the page forward instead of going back a page. Also, I've accidentally clicked on hyperlinks instead of turning the page. Overall, I use my Kindle a lot more often but I think both are good for storing books that I don't want a physical copy of.
"You can never leave footprints that last if you are always walking on tiptoe." - Leymah Gbowee
BarryEM

Post by BarryEM »

I have a Kindle Voyage and a Paperwhite and a Nook Glowlight Plus, the latest Nook. There's much that's good to say about both platforms but I don't use the Nook much because of a couple of really silly design flaws. The biggest problem is the Home button on the bottom of the Nook, which on this model is a capacative button right where I want to hold the thing. I'll be reading along and accidentally touch near the button and find myself back at the home screen.

I've tried and tried to train myself not to do that but it still happens fairly regularly, especially when I'm particularly engrossed in the book. This is an extremely irritating problem and I haven't been able to come up with a good solution. I tried putting non-conductive tape over that area and that worked but then I had no way to get to the Home screen when I needed to.

The other problem is that they've made the text in the dictionary display in a light gray on a white background and my old eyes just can't read it. This is a mistake that's so incredibly dumb that no-one with any sense whatever could possibly have done it. And yet, there it is!

Other than those two problems I really do like the Nook. It has a great screen, a very even front light, good interface and a nice feel in my hand. They got so much right but they really screwed up with those two silly problems.

Barry
LauraMc29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauramc29.html

Post by LauraMc29 »

I have the first edition of Paperwhite kindle. I barely use it. I honestly still like reading from a book. I bought the Kindle because I thought I would give it a try, but I don't care for it. I've never had a Nook, so I can't comment on it at all. I know more people that have a kindle over a nook, though.
Comma Witch

Post by Comma Witch »

My sister and I have this discussion every time a new version about to be introduced. She has a Nook and I have a Kindle. She got hers first, years ago, because I still prefer the smell of a new bound book, but now that she's used to it, refuses to switch. I have gotten her to concede that Kindle has a much wider selection, though.
BarryEM

Post by BarryEM »

I buy nearly all my books from Amazon and I read them on my Kindle and my Kobo and my Nook. It takes a bit of googling to learn how to do that but once you find out how it's trivial to actually do it. Most forums don't allow members to explain how to do that so I won't but it's not hard to find.

I can (and usually do) buy a Kindle book, download it to Kindle for PC and have it converted and ready for my Nook or Kobo in less than a minute.

I do buy my books and I'm not suggesting that you not buy them. But I feel like once bought I have the right to read it on any device I choose.

Barry
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

BarryEM wrote:I have a Kindle Voyage and a Paperwhite and a Nook Glowlight Plus, the latest Nook. There's much that's good to say about both platforms but I don't use the Nook much because of a couple of really silly design flaws. The biggest problem is the Home button on the bottom of the Nook, which on this model is a capacative button right where I want to hold the thing. I'll be reading along and accidentally touch near the button and find myself back at the home screen.

I've tried and tried to train myself not to do that but it still happens fairly regularly, especially when I'm particularly engrossed in the book. This is an extremely irritating problem and I haven't been able to come up with a good solution. I tried putting non-conductive tape over that area and that worked but then I had no way to get to the Home screen when I needed to.

The other problem is that they've made the text in the dictionary display in a light gray on a white background and my old eyes just can't read it. This is a mistake that's so incredibly dumb that no-one with any sense whatever could possibly have done it. And yet, there it is!

Other than those two problems I really do like the Nook. It has a great screen, a very even front light, good interface and a nice feel in my hand. They got so much right but they really screwed up with those two silly problems.

Barry
@"BarryEM" are you happy with the Voyage? Is it better than the Paperwhite? I am considering buying it.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Corybarclay
Currently Reading: Warbreaker
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corybarclay.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by Corybarclay »

I use the Kindle app on my tablet (Nexus 7) and it's oookay, but could be better. Sometimes .Mobi front covers don't show, it has trouble syncing with my laptop, and needs page numbers! Other than that, I like it :D
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
BarryEM

Post by BarryEM »

El_greco wrote:Which is better? Or if i put it in another way, is Nook equally as good as Kindle?
And another urgent question before my purchase: What's with reading .pdf files, do i have to convert them or sth, or just load them in the reader?
Nook vs Kindle is simply a matter of taste. I have both and I prefer the Kindle. Others prefer the Nook. The vast majority of the people buying these things get Kindles so there's a clue. I've listed the two things I don't like about my Nook in a previous message. Other than that it's a very nice device. Be aware that Nook is only useful if you live in the USA. You can't get books for it without a USA B&N account. Also there's some question of continued support. They're losing a lot of money every year. Maybe they'll turn that around but at the moment it isn't very promising.

Of all the e-ink ereaders the Kindle is said to be the best for PDF. I don't use PDF so I can't really comment. I'm just going by what I've read. I've also read that even on the Kindle it's not a particularly good format because most PDF's won't flow the text. If you enlarge the text the ends of the lines go off the screen.

Personally if you're thinking of getting your first ereader I can't think of any good reason to pick a Nook. But a lot of people do.

In another post someone said epub is the most common format. It's true that all the little guys use epub. Amazon, who sells 85% of the ebooks in the USA uses mobi so the vast majority of ebooks sold in the USA use mobi. I understand that's less true in other parts of the world.

One more thing: a lot of people saying "Kindle" or "Nook" seem to be talking about tablets while others seem to be talking about e-ink ereaders. Those are very different and barely related devices and it's worthwhile to take the trouble to make sure your post describes which you're talking about or you just add to the confusion. Most things that are true of a Nook tablet are not true of a Nook e-ink ereader and vice-versa. It's the same with Kindles and Fire tablets. They're very different.

E-ink readers are designed to read books. They do that beautifully but they're not very good at anything else. Fire tablets and Nook tablets are designed to do a lot of things. You can also read books on them but that's kind of limited in quite a few ways. They're not bad for reading books but they're hardly ideal. Both companies have done us a disservice by calling them by the same name. That creates a lot of confusion and this discussion has a few examples of that.

Barry

-- December 27th, 2016, 8:31 am --
El_greco wrote:I was trying to buy it via Barnes&Noble directly, and their customer service told me there's currently no way of getting it shipped to Europe. I think there must be a blockade of some sort also on other sites selling Nook. Don't know actually, waiting for Kindle to arrive now :D
This is because Barnes and Noble stopped selling in Europe. If you managed to get a Nook in Europe you couldn't buy books for it without a USA account. It has nothing to do with a blockade. B&N is in decline and they've simply withdrawn to the USA.

Barry
stacy-jolley
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacy-jolley.html

Post by stacy-jolley »

I am currently using my Samsung Tab E in an e reader capacity but I am thinking about buying a new e reader soon. I cannot decide between the Kindle Fire and the Nook HD. I will, most likely, be using my reader for other activities as well as reading and I just cant make up my mind. I have had a Nook HD before but have never used a Kindle Fire. Does anyone have a recommendation? I have some concerns about Barnes and Nobles customer service and support because I just dont see B and N staying in business as more and more people start using e readers.
BarryEM

Post by BarryEM »

i have both and I think your concerns about B&N's customer service are valid ones, but the Nook HD is really a much nicer device. I haven't used the Galaxy Tab E but from I've read about it I suspect it's also a nicer device than the 7" Kindle Fire.

The Fire has the advantage of being an Amazon device which means it can't help but be useful but it's screen is rather poor, the sound isn't very good and it's interface can best be described as overly complex and sloppy. Even though I paid to have ads removed they still find ways to constantly send ads to it. I got it from Best Buy when they had it on sale for $33 with free shipping and it's worth that. If I'd paid $50 for it I'd have been disappointed.

Something to consider is getting a Kindle Paperwhite for reading, at least if you do much reading. It's useless for anything else but you already have the Samsung for tablet purposes and the Paperwhite is a much better reading device.

If you want a better tablet I'd consider a major brand such as Lenovo or Asus or Acer. They make better tablets. So does Samsung. The Galaxy Tab 4 is a really nice tablet.

Barry
QuothTheRaven
Currently Reading: Night School
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quoththeraven.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by QuothTheRaven »

I have owned both over the past few years and am completely in love with my Kindle Paperwhite.
pink

Post by pink »

I have a Nook Glowlight. I love it, it's so light to hold.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”