Digital Textbooks

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Ak1412
Currently Reading: Reawakened
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ak1412.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Digital Textbooks

Post by Ak1412 »

I just started a new semester and bought a few digital texts to save money and to prevent me from carrying as much. Does anyone have any opinions on this?
Chikari
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chikari.html
Latest Review: The Talking Baobab Tree by Nelda LaTeef
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by Chikari »

I actually bought the digital copies of the textbooks for my next class. They were way cheaper too! I find using digital textbooks to work just fine and does make it easier to get around. I usually do homework at work before I have to clock in so it's nice not having to carry as much. All of mine have been compatible with my Kindle, though, so that might make a difference.
**Always happy to go on a new adventure!**
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

Digital is so much easier and cheaper. When I was in college the first time, I didn't know any better and all my books were hard copies. When I went back again, I looked into digital and it was better not having to lug all those books around on days with multiple classes.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
mamilla93
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamilla93.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by mamilla93 »

I did the same thing. I realized I could save cost on the books and also, was easier to carry around the campus and also easier whenever I have to move.
jahagen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jahagen.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by jahagen »

I think getting the digital version of textbooks is far wiser, especially when they're cheaper and more convenient. If you don't have to, why would you spend more money just to have the physical copy? The digital can do just as much and has the same information, and school is already expensive as is.
Ak1412

Post by Ak1412 »

Chikari wrote: 10 Feb 2019, 20:16 I actually bought the digital copies of the textbooks for my next class. They were way cheaper too! I find using digital textbooks to work just fine and does make it easier to get around. I usually do homework at work before I have to clock in so it's nice not having to carry as much. All of mine have been compatible with my Kindle, though, so that might make a difference.
It has worked well for me so far this semester. I'm glad to see it's working out for other people too.
Ak1412

Post by Ak1412 »

Letora wrote: 24 Feb 2019, 18:30 Digital is so much easier and cheaper. When I was in college the first time, I didn't know any better and all my books were hard copies. When I went back again, I looked into digital and it was better not having to lug all those books around on days with multiple classes.
It's definitely a pain to lug books around. I'm in the same building all day and don't go back to my dorm, so my ebooks have been a life saver!
finebunchofnothing
Currently Reading: The Bookshop
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-finebunchofnothing.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by finebunchofnothing »

This semester two out of my five textbooks are digital, and that is very convenient because my bag is so much lighter now! The only thing I do not like about the books on my tablet is the fact that I cannot highlight the main points or add some extra details that would help me understand the material better. However, I rewrite the main points to a notebook anyway, so not being able to highlight them in the book is not a big issue.
And our dreams will break the boundaries of our fear
IamShing
Favorite Book: Doctor Sleep
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamshing.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by IamShing »

If your academy allows it..it is okay and especially if it works best for you.
'Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.'
ChaosLibrarian
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ChaosLibrarian »

When I went to grad school I used a mix of print and digital textbooks. I preferred the print textbooks because I feel like I can focus better and without distractions or notifications, but the find feature in the digital textbooks was amazing and saved me so much time from not having to flip back and forth when I was looking for a particular topic or subject that wasn’t all in one chapter together. There also aren’t used copies available for digital textbooks so sometimes a used print textbook was cheaper than a digital copy, but sometimes the reverse was true. There are pros and cons to both. I’m glad both were available for many of my classes so I could make a decision based on the subject being covered as well as the price.
Leyla Ann
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Call Me by Your Name
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla-ann.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Leyla Ann »

Digital books surely are tempting but I'd still rather save up more and get a hard copy book instead.
People who read are hiders. They hide who they are. People who hide don't always like who they are.
sevencrows
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sevencrows.html
Latest Review: Daisy's Run by Scott Baron

Post by sevencrows »

Digital books are so much cheaper and they've saved a huge dent in my wallet, but I prefer the feel of physical textbooks so I can add tabs and notes
Netvigator72
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netvigator72.html
Latest Review: Kindred Journeys by Marjorie Tapley-Olson

Post by Netvigator72 »

I did an online degree and I could only use digital textbooks. They were extremely convenient.
Ahsannaveed
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ahsannaveed »

Ithink digitals books are of great help you can also consult meaning and reference while reading .
Falling4Ever
Currently Reading: Titans
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falling4ever.html
Latest Review: G.E.M.S. by Daphne Valcourt

Post by Falling4Ever »

I love digital textbooks because it reduces how much I need to carry and I can annotate easily through GoodNotes. Also they're much cheaper.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”