Ebook readers: Do you use the highlight or bookmark?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Ebook readers: Do you use the highlight or bookmark?

Post by Bluebird03 »

I am a natural born highlighter and love to do so in my hard copy books. So, I love the features in the Kindle to either highlight a sentence/paragraph or to bookmark a page. Do you use these features regularly?
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Bluebird03 wrote: 06 Feb 2019, 07:20 I am a natural born highlighter and love to do so in my hard copy books. So, I love the features in the Kindle to either highlight a sentence/paragraph or to bookmark a page. Do you use these features regularly?
Except for when I was little when I used to doodle a lot on my mother's sisters' college books to monopolise their attention, I really can't bear folding or marking my paperbacks' pages much more so for the hardbound pieces. Fancy sometimes handmade bookmarks from my kids do the trick for me.

I've also recently found and become fond of the electronic app's feature for colourful highlights, notes, and auto-summary. Listing and tracking down errors and observations for reviews have since become easier to do.

It's good to maximise the benefits that technology brings, although there are things that I hope they won't ever replace.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Zora C Penter
Currently Reading: Every Ghost Has Its Story
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zora-c-penter.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Zora C Penter »

Espie wrote: 06 Feb 2019, 08:03
Bluebird03 wrote: 06 Feb 2019, 07:20 I am a natural born highlighter and love to do so in my hard copy books. So, I love the features in the Kindle to either highlight a sentence/paragraph or to bookmark a page. Do you use these features regularly?
Except for when I was little when I used to doodle a lot on my mother's sisters' college books to monopolise their attention, I really can't bear folding or marking my paperbacks' pages much more so for the hardbound pieces. Fancy sometimes handmade bookmarks from my kids do the trick for me.

I've also recently found and become fond of the electronic app's feature for colourful highlights, notes, and auto-summary. Listing and tracking down errors and observations for reviews have since become easier to do.

It's good to maximise the benefits that technology brings, although there are things that I hope they won't ever replace.
I have a weird aversion to not wanting to mark up physical copies of books. So, if I am reviewing a book, I much prefer it to be on digital. Like you, I love the ability to highlight in different colors. I use my kindle notebook at the end of each book to help me write my reviews!
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

Yes, Epsie. I take full advantage of the color selections offered with the Kindle. I'll typically use the blue one to highlight the story excerpts and orange for any errors. I bet the handmade bookmarkers are special, but the doodling was probably not as popular!
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Bluebird03 wrote: 08 Feb 2019, 14:09 Yes, Epsie. I take full advantage of the color selections offered with the Kindle. I'll typically use the blue one to highlight the story excerpts and orange for any errors. I bet the handmade bookmarkers are special, but the doodling was probably not as popular!
I'm still trying to finalise my standard colour-coding, but I'm considering to use yellow for the errors and perhaps blue for quotable quotes and pink for key elements and significant developments for the synopsis. I still don't have a use for the orange one, but it's good to know I've got another colour in case something else comes up. I do hope, though, there's a green one.

I was too small that the naughty doodling seemed cute and even became fond memories that my aunts would happily recount. Ereader features like these, though, make book reading in an always-rushing and technology-driven world like ours a bit easier, more productive, and worthwhile.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Chikari
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chikari.html
Latest Review: The Talking Baobab Tree by Nelda LaTeef
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by Chikari »

I use the highlight, bookmark, and even note function on my Kindle (and the Kindle app on my phone) all the time! I'm like you in that I highlight and write in my physical books so enjoy that I can use my Kindle to do that as well.
**Always happy to go on a new adventure!**
jesscat304
Favorite Book: The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A f*ck
Currently Reading: It Ends with Us
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscat304.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by jesscat304 »

I frequently use the bookmark in the kindle app and I wouldn’t know what I’d do without it. I honestly hardly ever use the highlight, but I do love the fact that I can look up the definitions of the words just in case I get stuck not that it happens very often.
Amber Nichole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amber-nichole.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas
Reading Device: B01J6RPGKG

Post by Amber Nichole »

The thought of marking up a physical copy of a book makes me cringe (except for my copies of Harry Potter, where I've grown fond of writing down AVPM references). However, I am utilizing the highlight feature in my Kindle more and more. Usually, I just highlight quotes that I find particularly profound or beautiful. I've been thinking of starting a YouTube channel for reviews, though, and so I've tried utilizing the feature more. I keep forgetting my color coding system, though, so I have to go back and see what I've been using! :lol:

I really enjoy the feature that shows what passages are highlighted the most. I think it's really interesting to see what other people reading the same book found interesting. Sometimes I feel the same way, but other times I have no idea why so many people were attracted to a certain phrase or passage. :lol:
Chikari
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chikari.html
Latest Review: The Talking Baobab Tree by Nelda LaTeef
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by Chikari »

jesscat304 wrote: 12 Feb 2019, 19:18 I frequently use the bookmark in the kindle app and I wouldn’t know what I’d do without it. I honestly hardly ever use the highlight, but I do love the fact that I can look up the definitions of the words just in case I get stuck not that it happens very often.
Same here! The ability to look up words easily is a wonderful feature. It really help keep the flow of reading going even if you have to stop for a second to read a definition. Much better than having to search up the word in a separate app or on Google.
**Always happy to go on a new adventure!**
jahagen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jahagen.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by jahagen »

I use them all the time! I used to never be able to mark up my physical copies of books (until I had to annotate books for school and then liked the way it looked at the end) so I grew super accustomed to using those features on my e-reader. My favorite part is the ability to make notes of certain parts while I'm reading and I can write as much as I want without worrying about running out of room. And the highlighting feature is fabulous because I never worry about running out of ink.
tanner87cbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanner87cbs.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by tanner87cbs »

I like using the highlight feature a lot. I use google play books most of the time if I can. I also cannot stand the thought of writing in or marking a physical book.
Tessa23Darling
Currently Reading: The Fire Within
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tessa23darling.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Tessa23Darling »

I'm not a huge fan of marking up paper copies of books. So, if I need to study something, review a book, or make notes to reference later, I'm all for "marking up" a digital copy on my eReader. Love all my options on my Kindle app for note taking and highlighting.
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsey-coles.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chelsey Coles »

I use both! Different highlighter colors mean different things to me. And bookmarks are for very profound pages/sections where highlighting all of it would be obnoxious. Bookmarks to me mean: "read again!"
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin
Aubrey Lewis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aubrey-lewis.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Aubrey Lewis »

While studying, I find that using the Bookmark tool on ebooks is quite useful for me, especially because I can put labels on them like "Humidification Problems" or "Crystallization Exercises". To be honest, I rarely ever use the Highlighter tool.
paigegreenpurba
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paigegreenpurba.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by paigegreenpurba »

I do like to highlight and add notes, especially when using it to read a book for review on this site. One thing that bothers me though is how if I highlight something and add a note to it, it will show up twice in my notes section - once as a highlight and once as a note. Oh well, no reason to stop highlighting.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”