Is it worth getting a ebook reader?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
kchedges
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Is it worth getting a ebook reader?

Post by kchedges »

I used my laptop before I received my kindle as a Christmas gift and I have to say its quite worth it to be able to carry your own library with you at any time. I couldnt part with it for months, it even came to the bathroom with me. So if your into reading any book at any time on a portable, rechargeable device then yes its worth it. Better then a phone in my opinion.
petrey384

Post by petrey384 »

With out a doubt. I got my kindle 2 years ago. Some of the best books I have read are indie books on the Kindle. If you like the feel of flipping through paper with you fingers I cant promise you that.(I know people who do.) I just finished reading a book called The Secret Saboteurs. It was only available on the Kindle. There are other gems I have read that were only available as eBook. This opens a whole new world of books and literature to us. Something we should all be excited about.
Brittany-Anne

Post by Brittany-Anne »

Of course nothing can compare to the smell of an old book or the simple enjoyment of turning a page but my e reader is one of my most prized possessions, as said above a simple must for travellers.
animalgirl
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-animalgirl.html

Post by animalgirl »

I think it's worth it. I have a refurbished Kindle Touch that I love, a Kindle Fire HDX, but I don't do much reading on it. I just got it mainly for the tablet, and I just ordered a paper white so I can read in bed. I always take it with me when I know I'm going some where I'll have to wait.
booklovingolfer
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklovingolfer.html

Post by booklovingolfer »

The Amazon Kindle Fire is so worth it. There are so many good free books.
Hooded_Scholar93

Post by Hooded_Scholar93 »

Speaking from personal experience, if you find yourself often reading obscure or hard to find works (the Baghavad Gita, for example) then I would certainly consider buying one. Also, if you have read a book already, the ebook version can be a great reference tool. I don't know if you have this problem, but it is only when I try to quote an author that I cannot fully remember the lines. Lol!
lizzieclifton
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizzieclifton.html

Post by lizzieclifton »

Absolutely some of the newer authors dont have the backing to get their books published yet and ereaders are a way to get their books out there and gain a following.
Liz223

Post by Liz223 »

Love my Kindle and would hate to think I had to give it up. I especially like the ability to order a book and have it on my Kindle in a few minutes. Also it's less expensive than buying. If I go to the library, I can't always find what I want. Also like to read samples before purchasing. It's not as heavy to hold as a printed book. Many more advantages.
Mimisreads_23
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mimisreads-23.html

Post by Mimisreads_23 »

If your ok with having a free app like kindle and just buying the books and downloading them onto it then it's not. But off you prefer to have a bigger device to read from it is a lot more worth it. Also the reading tablets can be used for other things and are much easier to transport than actual books.
castor
Favorite Author: G.G. Marquez
Favorite Book: One Hundred Years of Solitude
Currently Reading: The Palace of Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-castor.html
Latest Review: "Dangerous Obsessions" by Bob Van Laerhoven
Reading Device: B002R5UYXY

Post by castor »

I have a Sony e-reader and i never regret buying it. I never stopped reading paper books but when you are on the move the e-book is way better.
Latest Review: "Dangerous Obsessions" by Bob Van Laerhoven
mramchandran

Post by mramchandran »

Ofcourse it is worth getting the ebook reader. Its easy to carry, saves space in your if you need to carry couple of books which you are reading. easy to access. Ebooks are cheaper in comparison to hard covers.
TheBookFiend

Post by TheBookFiend »

I wholeheartedly believe so. I used to be biased, thinking that ereaders were not "real books," but the convenience and immediate downloads soon won me over. I still have my main library, but now I have an online one as well...well worth it.
cazz13

Post by cazz13 »

yes it is worth getting a e reader as its great if you dont have the room for loads of books you can have thousands on one device which doesnt take up much space i use the kobo wireless e reader its not back lit so its not hard on the eyes its small and light and it is synced with my computer all done with a touch of a button.
ashleecavitt
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashleecavitt.html

Post by ashleecavitt »

Hey there! I would definitely recommend getting one! I held out for the absolute longest because I felt almost a sense of betrayal to real books. I thought I would have to give up my regular library visits and that was NOT an option. My husband got me a Kindle Paperwhite 6 months ago for my birthday and I absolutely love it! It comes in handy for instance when we're in bed and he wants the light out, but I don't want to put away my book just yet. The paperwhite also has a feature where I can dim and brighten the screen depending on my current preference. As much as I love the feel of an actual book, I love being able to throw my kindle in my purse and take it with me where ever I go, and it not weigh down my purse like a real book would.

The ereader isn't without it's faults, however. I don't like that I can't tell what "page" i'm on easily. Also, I like holding a real book and being able to see how much of it I have left. With that being said though, my paperwhite tells me at the bottom of the screen how many hours and minutes left until I finish the book, based on how fast I've been reading the book which is pretty neat.

Overall, I would definitely get one if I were you!!
cyndiha11
Currently Reading: The Banned Book about Love
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyndiha11.html
Latest Review: "Empty Shell" by Ashley Fontainne

Post by cyndiha11 »

I use mine when I travel; it's so much easier than taking books with me. I also take my e-reader to work so that I can read during breaks; it's easy to just throw it in my purse and I have it wherever I go. I don't usually do this with books, even paperbacks.
“I hope you live a life you’re proud of. If you find that you are not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again.” F. Scott Fitzgerald
Latest Review: "Empty Shell" by Ashley Fontainne

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”