Do you prefer an e-book to paperback and why?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Artizi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-artizi.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Re: Do you prefer an e-book to paperback and why?

Post by Artizi »

I prefer paperback! First of all, because you never run out of battery, and I also enjoy the feeling and smell of the paper from books rather than the feeling of the screen.
Linda Ozioma Adiele
Currently Reading: Blue Valentine
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oziafricana.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams
Reading Device: B002Y27P46

Post by Linda Ozioma Adiele »

I prefer my Kindle. It is a first generation Kindle without an LCD screen and light. I hope to upgrade someday. However, it beats having to wait for weeks and months for books to arrive in my country from the West and there is a clear shipping cost advantage. The great thing too is that with my Kindle I can read my books on different devices with the app.
Alison Alissa
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alison-alissa.html
Latest Review: The Touch by Robert Flynn III

Post by Alison Alissa »

I prefer e-books to paper books since they are portable thus a chance to a variety of them with possession of a smart phone.
Simplyy_ess
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Simplyy_ess »

To be completely honest I love the feel of a new paperback book. The way your fingers glide across the cover, and as you flip it open, you smell that fresh paper smell. Ahh, I get a rise out of it. But there is something about the convenience of an e-book. It is always at your fingertips and to tell the truth we are still on our phones anyway. Must say I have come to prefer an e-book over a paperback one. Late at night when I feel the urge to read a book but don't want to attack my eyes by turning the light on, I pick up my phone, adjust the brightness and open books and read my e-book. If I do happen to plan to head out for the day but do not want the hassle of having to carry a bag big enough to fit my book in, it is no worry because I have it on my phone. Easily accessible, how could you not enjoy the creation that is an e-book.
ifaizi84

Post by ifaizi84 »

I prefer ebook because I can’t save my home space by not having a book cabinet... 😁
Last edited by gali on 13 May 2019, 23:06, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Self-promoting
Brendan Donaghy
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

I've read a couple of e books and they've been fine, but with one or two others I've experienced problems with the text size, or the type of font used, which has made reading them a bit of a chore. Still think I prefer old fashioned paper!
RuhiAngel

Post by RuhiAngel »

2. digital books Are More Portable Than Print Books. Print books, particularly hardbound versions, can be exceptionally substantial, while most present day eReader gadgets are intended to be lightweight. It is a lot simpler to convey an eReader containing a whole library of books on a plane or on the train than to bring a physical book or two.
Mai Tran
Currently Reading: What's Your Favorite Color?
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mai-tran.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Mai Tran »

Ebooks are great, but I prefer holding real books, and I'll chose them over ebooks any day. They're easier to flip through and don't give me headaches like e-books do after I've been reading too long.
Alison Alissa
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alison-alissa.html
Latest Review: The Touch by Robert Flynn III

Post by Alison Alissa »

Ever since I joined the club,I find the experience of e-books very interesting.
beccabecky
Currently Reading: Restaurant Insanity
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beccabecky.html
Latest Review: The Geeks Conquer the Universe by Keith Mackie

Post by beccabecky »

I might be a bit old fashioned but I really do prefer paperback and I doubt this fact will ever change!
Lady-of-Literature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-of-literature.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Lady-of-Literature »

I read more e-books because I have instant access to them and I take pride in the fact that no trees were turned into paper for this, which I think is a big deal considering the major stress the Earth is under at the moment. However, I must admit there is an aesthetic appeal to holding an actual book, it's always great to hear the turn of a page and smell the ink. I'd go as far as to say that it is therapeutic.

I think I will have to say that paper is preferable, but e-books are better for instant satisfaction.
alma_jan
Favorite Book: art of war
Currently Reading: Corners
Bookshelf Size: 33

Post by alma_jan »

I prefer e-books. It's all about the environment, saving trees, minimalism fashion, etc, etc... Of course, I'm also a big fan of local libraries, that is why whenever I go to take a book for a short period of time, I take paper book ;) because this one book goes from hands to hands and and serves a purpose. I cannot stand the situation when I read a book, e.g. romance, or adventure, or other story, and then it dies in my shelf. I usually donate those books to libraries. But there are few paper books in my home, those books that are not enough to read one time: cookbooks ;), philosophy, motivation, some memoirs, biographies... Those books that I'd like to open once per year and read a chapter or two for a self growth.
ErikaP13
Favorite Author: Terry Brooks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erikap13.html
Latest Review: The Eye of Illumination by W.C. Gorski
fav_author_id: 5000

Post by ErikaP13 »

I love a paperback/hardcover. I like the weight, the texture, the feeling of turning the page, and like you said) that paper smell. That being said, an e-reader is just more practical. It's lighter, easier to maneuver, and more versatile when it comes to fonts, word size, etc.
mariana90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana90.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by mariana90 »

I love them both!

I prefer my Nook when I'm in bed or doing something with my hands. I prefer the physical book any other time.

One advantage physical books have is that you can quickly go back and find a passage you're looking for, whereas with the Nook you can't access it easily enough. However, if you are reading a very long book, Nook is definitely a more manageable format.
MissPenelope3
Currently Reading: Candle Man
Bookshelf Size: 49

Post by MissPenelope3 »

When asked this question in the past, I was one to vote solely for paperback, due to its immediate access (not having to rely on or wait for an Internet connection) and just the exciting nature of having a physical copy. However, my answer has expanded since then and learned to love both types! E-book/E-readers make it very convenient to own an almost unlimited collection of books/novels/stories in a single library/device without having to continuously find room to store physical books. They also have helpful features such as highlighting, bookmarking, and instantly search the meaning of an unknown word. Paperbacks give me that "old-fashioned" sense of reading that digital devices do not. Paperbacks also lead to physical libraries and bookstores, which I believe, are still important to have in society. This is because I believe there are lessons reading/owning/using a physical book can teach that an e-reader fails to measure up to, especially in a world where almost everything revolves around technology. Great question! :)

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”