Do you prefer an e-book to paperback and why?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Oulababe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oulababe.html
Latest Review: Invisible Me by H M Irwing

Re: Do you prefer an e-book to paperback and why?

Post by Oulababe »

I don't have a preference between the two because I enjoy reading in both formats.
Asisha Joseph
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asisha-joseph.html
Latest Review: Andalusian in Jerusalem by Mois benarroch

Post by Asisha Joseph »

In terms of preference, always paperback. Nicer to handle, and a better 'feel'. But in terms of versatility and cost, ebooks. I use ebooks way more than paperback, only for this reason. But I love paperback.
Miercoles
Favorite Book: The Prize
Currently Reading: The Second Eve
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miercoles.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by Miercoles »

I prefer an e-book to a paperback. Having an e-book eliminates storage and dust mites. I have probably read more books since I had my Kindle than ever before.
HailKingEbi
Currently Reading: The Notebook
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hailkingebi.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by HailKingEbi »

ebooks are nice but they can never completely erase paperback. many people still appreciate the feel of the book in their hands. it's very unique.
We're all puppets, Laurie. I'm just a puppet who can see the strings - Doctor Manhattan.
perthy
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by perthy »

Reading from a paperback is much better in my opinion. The smell of fresh books, slipping the pages, you can bring it anywhere without it being charged. It's also a better reading experience for me when I read from a paperback book. I feel like I read better and faster and I am able to absorb the knowledge and facts more easily. However, I buy e-books these days for convenience. I live in a small apartment and I just cannot afford to bring my whole bookshelf with me when I move places. E-books are cheaper too and good for the environment because it saves paper.
goodbookie

Post by goodbookie »

I have been reading since I was about 3 and a half. About 8 years ago I switched to e-books and I am never going back. People are always shocked or even disturbed by the fact that some people prefer e-books. I don't care why other prefer one over the other, but here are my reasons:
- most (99%) printed books have very small fonts. Way too small. Even with glasses, my eyes get tired after a while so I can't read for long. On my tablet, I can make fonts as big as I want. I like big fonts and I cannot lie :) If you don't have any vision issues, think about the future. I didn't either. But years of reading and then using my computer at work have changed all that. I am nearsighted so I have no problem reading, but it does make my eyes very tired, like I said.
- How do you read in the dark? Flashlight under the blanket? Lol. I can easily read on my tablet even when my husband is asleep, without bothering him. I switch to dark mode (well, I actually keep it on dark mode -black screen, white fonts all the time) and problem solved. This is also great in the car when we go on long trip. I get to read even after it gets dark.
- So much easier to turn pages, especially when you are in the car, or when you are reading and eating at the same time. What, you don't do that? I have been eating and reading since I was a kid. I have stained one too many books. No such problems with e-books. Unless you spill your drink on the screen. Ooops.
- Have you tried reading on the beach when it is windy? Or even breezy? Yea, it sucks. You have to hold the page down, hold the book flat, constantly remove sand
- Since I can make the font bigger and the screen dark, it is much easier for me to read, so I can read faster and finish more books then I normally would if reading printed books.
- When I go on vacation, I like to have options. I can't carry 2-3 books with me, especially on the plane. I can, however, have an unlimited number of books on my tablet and either switch from one book to another, depending on my mood or just give up on a book if I decide I hate it and move on to the next one.
- Yes, e-books are more expensive. Way too expensive. But I get a free ebook every month from Amazon First Reads, I get free ebook credits on Amazon for choosing slow shipping and I can get good deals like $1.99 e-books by following different websites. You can also borrow e-books from the library.

With that being said, I love printed books. I love old books with yellow-brown paper (the smell not as much anymore, since I have become very sensitive to smells), I love their leather covers, illustrations. So I still buy books and I am really good at finding bargains :) What I do is read ebooks and then buy the printed books so I can still have them on my shelf. I only buy the ones that I really enjoyed though.
akyllingmark

Post by akyllingmark »

I love print books! The smell, the feel, the excitement of selection. "Today I am going on a journey with...you." (points at at a book). There is an enormous amount of charm in specificity. E-reading puts me to sleep.
Louanne Piccolo
Currently Reading: A Judegement in Stone
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-louanne-piccolo.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Louanne Piccolo »

If someone told me I had to choose, I'd choose a real book - the smell, the weight, the sound of turning pages...BUT I live in France and although I'm bilingual, English is my mother tongue and the language I love reading in. I live in a small village in the Alps and the library here has 10 English books that I read about 15 years ago.

If I want to read in English, I have to buy books and the closest bookshop stocking English books is 120 kms away. There's the Internet and I can always order, but I have to say that having a Kindle is a lifesaver. I can buy a book and have it in my hands in about 20 seconds. So, seeing as I also love reading books and not just smelling them or holding them, I have a Kindle and I'm grateful to have it.

There's also the expense to take into account. I have more than 400 books on my bookshelves and I calculated once that they must have cost more than 4000€. I have about the same amount on my Kindle and they cost me about 500€. Reading is an expensive hobby when you don't have a library to borrow from and I might not have one if I lived in an English-speaking country but, then again, I love to own my books and not just borrow them.
tsic
Favorite Book: The Mindset
Currently Reading: The Queen of Xana
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tsic.html
Latest Review: The Narrow Gate by John Servant

Post by tsic »

I prefer e-books they're portable, affordable and easily accessible than paperbacks.
pradel

Post by pradel »

I prefer e-book! That way can read in bed and not have a light on. Sometimes can't sleep and don't want others knowing or to wake them up.
jesscat304
Favorite Book: The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A f*ck
Currently Reading: It Ends with Us
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscat304.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by jesscat304 »

I do love reading a real book because I love the smell and the feel of turning the pages. Although, my e reader makes my life easier in a lot of ways because I do not have to worry about having a light. I can keep track of the time, which I had a habit of losing track off and then discovering that I didn’t have enough sleep again 😂. I also really enjoy being able to keep track of how long I have to finish the book, as it helps me plan my time better.
paigegreenpurba
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paigegreenpurba.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by paigegreenpurba »

I agree that the feel, smell, and ease of navigation of a real book is much nicer than an e-reader. The only reason I prefer my Kindle is because I travel and move so often that it is the most practical way to keep all my books with me.
Doris Hudson

Post by Doris Hudson »

Ever since I discovered e-book reading ,I prefer that to paper books since I can a full shelf of books by possessing a phone.
Homebody+ reader

Post by Homebody+ reader »

I read both Kindle books and paperback books. I tend to buy and keep books by my favorite authors because I know I will re-read them. I enjoy Lynsay Sands and Grace Burrowes, among others. The thing I don't like about reading Kindle books is when they authors include a chapter or two of the next book in the series. If I don't feel like tapping thru 10 or more pages, I don't get a chance to rate the book. For books not on Kindle, I go to the library and check out books. One drawback to reading a paperback or hardback book: I sit on my couch and have a glass of water on the end table beside me. I have lost control of the book (due to dog climbing over me) and knocked my water glass over several times. :lol2:
Kiwileers
Currently Reading: The Optimal Dose
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Kiwileers »

My preferences is paperbook. I feel like it stimulus my sensory senses. I like them because I like touching the pages. I like highlighting the specific texts and the way it has that bookshelves scent.
with ebooks, being able to read on the go with the hinders of carry a heavy book.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”