Poll--Is it Time to Replace the Book?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.

Should Ereaders Replace Books:

Yes. The time has come!
3%
Not right now, but in a few years they should
12%
No, never!
85%

Total votes: 121

casper
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-casper.html
Latest Review: "The Sanctuary" by Cassandra R. Siddons

Re: Poll--Is it Time to Replace the Book?

Post by casper »

No, never, ever. I love the convenience of my Kindle but I couldn't live without paper books. There is something so special about the smell and feel of a book and for some reason I feel there is a closer link with the author than with an ebook - even though I know they didn't physically write the words on the actual page I am reading.
Latest Review: "The Sanctuary" by Cassandra R. Siddons
newlndnfire
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-newlndnfire.html
Latest Review: "Evil Water" by Inger Wolf

Post by newlndnfire »

It's interesting that no one has voted for replacing the book, but I guess that's because we're all book lovers here! I don't think the book will ever be replaced. Most of us feel that there is nothing like holding a book in your hands, turning the pages and the smell and because of that, I feel that paper books will always be in demand.
"If dog's don't go to heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they go."
Latest Review: "Evil Water" by Inger Wolf
booksprite+
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booksprite.html

Post by booksprite+ »

I hope that never happens and doubt it would. What would become of coffee table books and the like? Nah.
Smitha Nayak

Post by Smitha Nayak »

Humboldt County voters should expect to see some changes the next time they head to the voting booth.

Electronic poll books will replace paper rosters -- described as bulky and time-consuming by county poll workers -- in the upcoming November election.

The new e-poll books, which resemble mini laptops, have benefits for both voters and poll workers, said Humboldt County Registrar of Voters Carolyn Crnich, who announced Monday that Hart InterCivic -- a national provider of election voting systems -- will be supplying the computerized devices.
SilverStylo

Post by SilverStylo »

I think I may be in the minority, but I do believe that paper books will eventually go the way of the dodo. I prefer an actual, solid book personally, but it all boils down to money in the end. Self publishing on E-devices is very cost effective and a great way for authors to get work out, and the publishers will certainly go that route once they feel they've got us all used to it.

It's progress, folks. Not really pleasant, but it will be a reality soon enough. I'm just going to treat my beloved books like the treasure they are and hope they at least manage to outlast me!
pelmore

Post by pelmore »

NO WAY!!! I don't think all this internet is going to be around forever. I know paper books will. I'm keeping all my books.
ZeroChill
Currently Reading: 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zerochill.html
Latest Review: "My Boogie board ride to Denmark" by Tedd Wallace

Post by ZeroChill »

No they should not. The paperback books have a sentimental value for us and we can't deny their importance in any case, so I think they should not be replaced.
Latest Review: "My Boogie board ride to Denmark" by Tedd Wallace
Insightsintobooks729
Currently Reading: Meet your soul
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks729.html
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks729 »

Hard copy books can't be replaced, in my opinion. It isn't the same reading an ebook as a hard copy book is different. There's the smell and the feel of tbe book, the overall experience which can't be replicated by technology.
"I cannot live without Books" - Thomas Jefferson
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

The results of this poll honestly make me feel so relieved. I genuinely worry on more than one occasion that at some point we'll come to a time when the majority of the world leaves me behind and decides that e-readers are they only way we need to have books nowadays and it's honestly terrifying.

As for me, obviously, I don't think e-readers should ever replace books. The experience just isn't the same and if there is ever an instance where the power goes out or data gets corrupted, my physical books will always be there while an e-book may not.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

I feel eBooks are so much more convenient to use. I might be the only one here saying this, but, I would love to replace books with ebooks.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
See_B00kReaDs
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-see-b00kreads.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by See_B00kReaDs »

In my opinion, hard copy books can never be replaced. Though, I prefer using e-books now it doesn't necessarily mean I don't want the hard copy ones.
“Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don’t really matter.”
– Francis Chan

God bless you! :D
See_B00kReaDs
Currently Reading:

Post by See_B00kReaDs »

Insightsintobooks729 wrote: 13 Dec 2017, 12:21 Hard copy books can't be replaced, in my opinion. It isn't the same reading an ebook as a hard copy book is different. There's the smell and the feel of tbe book, the overall experience which can't be replicated by technology.
I agree with you, nothing can replace hard copy books.
“Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don’t really matter.”
– Francis Chan

See_B00kReaDs
Currently Reading:

Post by See_B00kReaDs »

ZeroChill wrote: 01 Nov 2017, 12:25 No they should not. The paperback books have a sentimental value for us and we can't deny their importance in any case, so I think they should not be replaced.
Yes, it feels different when you have paperback books.
– Francis Chan

See_B00kReaDs
Currently Reading:

Post by See_B00kReaDs »

Samy Lax wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 07:15 I feel eBooks are so much more convenient to use. I might be the only one here saying this, but, I would love to replace books with ebooks.
Yes, e-books are way more convenient to use, but I think paperbacks has a certain sentimental value that can never be replaced by e-books.
– Francis Chan

rave_2
Currently Reading: A Word so Fitly Spoken
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rave-2.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by rave_2 »

Never! There's a time and place for both the ereader and paperback. I personally love both, and would be sad to see one replace the other.
Just reading... :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyinggray:
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”