Poll--Is it Time to Replace the Book?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.

Should Ereaders Replace Books:

Yes. The time has come!
3%
Not right now, but in a few years they should
12%
No, never!
85%

Total votes: 121

Andy1750
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Andy1750 »

Hi,

Yes - I think that it's only a matter of time before the ebook replaces conventional books in the same way that the email has replaced the written memo. I think that it will take some time as many people are inherently technophobic. However, I reckon in 5 years max ebooks will heavily outsell conventional books.

Why? There's no point in a conventional book anymore. They require a lot of storage, are cumbersome to carry around and you have to go out of your home to visit a shop to buy one. Ebooks are more convenient, should be cheaper, are available 24 hours a day 365 days a year and I can't see any disadvantages that say a kindle would have over owning a hard copy of the book that you own. We just have to get used to reading off a screen - that's the only barrier at the moment.

The device the we use to read books will surely change with time. However, the conventional book has nearly reached the end of it's life and is now obsolete.

Cheers,

Andy
El_greco

Post by El_greco »

i know that technological progress is imminent, but still i don't think the book has reached it's end. The book in its phisycal shape is a part of reading folklore, so i don't think that ereaders are going to have such a cataclysmic impact on books. Sure, the sales might decline (as if they are great now) but i don't think a classic book will become extinct.
+ i don't think you should label anyone who doesn't like ereaders as technophobic. It's simply rude.

At first i didn't even think of buying an ereader, but since i got access to JSTOR, i will mos def buy me one, because i hate reading long texts on the computer, it's uncomfortable.

p.s.:sry for my english.
GotThatSwing

Post by GotThatSwing »

Andy1750 wrote:...and you have to go out of your home to visit a shop to buy one.
That is actually an advantage of real books I would say 8) And 5 years is rather optimistic prediction IMO.
Lolita. Light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Lo-lee-ta: the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth.
tedfiz
Favorite Book: the land of five towers

Post by tedfiz »

i love book.... ebook make me dizzy...
goldengate
Favorite Author: Truman Capote
Favorite Book: Music for Chameleons
Currently Reading: Tipping the Velvet -The Sixth Extinction
Reading Device: B01M6YJEAH
fav_author_id: 2834

Post by goldengate »

I look at these questions through the perspective of an avid book collector. The thought of e-readers replacing books is horrible (though I love my Nook). I do think the convenience of e-books will make paper books more rare and harder to come by. I suspect "real books" will become more expensive and small publishers may eventually be the most likely source for authors who want to publish on paper. The book will never be obsolete as thehistory of man is so wrapped up in books and scrolls. Many people, myself included, really prefer the heft of a book, the smell of ink and paper, the feel of the paper as I flip the pages, the lovely look of them on my bookshelves, the joy of first editions and author signed books, the love of fine bound books with their leather bindings and gold gilt page edges. You will never have that with an e-reader.
"I have always imagined Paradise to be a sort of Library." Jorge Louis Borges
BookCollecting101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookcollecting101.html

Post by BookCollecting101 »

This is an update to my previous post. I got into the habit of reading my Nook - then it broke. I immediately picked a book from my library and started reading a lovely Easton Press edition of F. Scott Fitzgerald's Short Stories. I am really enjoying the feel of the book. The leather is wonderful. The paper is high quality. There is a handy bookmark bound in. It is heavier than my Nook but I am really enjoying it. I am using my Nook for newly published books that I don't know whether I want them in my library or not and for the really cheap collections of classics I have been meaning to read... If I decide I want the new books, I can add them... in fine bound or author signed first editions if I want. I love not having boxes and boxes of books waiting to be donated or set free in public places for others to enjoy. The book is here to stay. The quality books being printed today will be here far longer than one hundred years. They may be published in smaller quantities by smaller presses but that is all good for the true book lover and collector.
odinaesir
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odinaesir.html
Latest Review: "Crossbred" by Nadene Seiters

Post by odinaesir »

No I do not think it is time to replace books. I prefer reading books and so does my family.you have the physical copy, e books you don't own outright,I don't get eyestrain reading like I do reading on e readers are computer.
Latest Review: "Crossbred" by Nadene Seiters
Lucinda32

Post by Lucinda32 »

I think there will always be room on the shelf for a good book, however I think that shelf is getting a tad dusty as more people lean towards the convenience of electronic media. I myself always rambled on about never getting an ebook, of how much I love the physical feeling, the weight of holding a "real" book, the dog eared pages of a much loved book.
And so in a moment of insanity, I bought an Amazon Kindle.
Why?
The truth is that ebooks fit better in my hand bag than a paperback.
And my now dusty shelf was full.
I will still buy a book from time to time but if I'm trying a new author or a different genre than what is my norm, I will get it on my Kindle because its cheaper.
I will say this though, books dont go flat, unlike the current state of my Kindle.
BakerStreetJ

Post by BakerStreetJ »

I couldn't give up real books because I like to have them on display in my house. I do think e-books are good for a first time read, then if I like it I buy it to go on my shelf as a keeper!
A_Marcella
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-marcella.html

Post by A_Marcella »

No. I currently do not own a Kindle Fire, which would be my preference if I were going to purchase one. I am fond of the online availability to purchase a book one cannot wait to read, seems to save on shipping and time. However, I am still in love with the printed book - the feel of paper in hand and the progress when you tip forward the top of the book to see where your bookmark resides :) . Currently, I guess I am torn between to lovers - exploring Google Books and Kindle for PC and Android (so handy for on the go reading!).
Cortney831
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cortney831.html

Post by Cortney831 »

Dougiezerts wrote:Hi! I've just joined this forum, and I have a poll question for all of you:
Should the Kindle, and other ereaders, replace book?
No way! I love my iPad...but a good book to cuddle up with is still preferred from time to time.

-- 28 Apr 2013, 23:20 --
BakerStreetJ wrote:I couldn't give up real books because I like to have them on display in my house. I do think e-books are good for a first time read, then if I like it I buy it to go on my shelf as a keeper!
:D I thought I was the only one who did that. My bf makes fun of me for it lol
Megan Young
Favorite Author: VC Andrews
Favorite Book: My Sweet Audrina
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megan-young.html

Post by Megan Young »

I hate kindles so much!! I hope traditional books stay forever!!
Misaela
Currently Reading: Catch-22
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misaela.html
Latest Review: "A Wounded World" by Crit Kincaid
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Misaela »

I wouldn't like it, but it seems inevitable.
Zannie
Currently Reading: Defending Jacob
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reading Device: B000FI73MA

Post by Zannie »

I may read from a Kindle but I use real books as well. There is a whole generation eho don't know how to use encyclopedias. I think it a shame
Misaela
Currently Reading: Catch-22
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misaela.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Misaela »

I used encyclopedias when I was in elementary school, but the internet replaced that. In that case specifically, having constant updating in the history of places, countries and different subjects made it a tad obsolete.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”