Poll--Is it Time to Replace the Book?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.

Should Ereaders Replace Books:

Yes. The time has come!
3%
Not right now, but in a few years they should
12%
No, never!
85%

Total votes: 121

StephenKingman
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

B-fly wrote:I'm happy to see that nobody has voted for replacing the book :)
Most people prob just didnt bother voting :wink:
You only live once.....so live!
keep.walking

Post by keep.walking »

Same old discussion.

Ereaders aren't meant to replace the paper books, they are just an alternative way to reading. They came to add another option to readers, not to substitute the existing option.

Although they have their advantages, the feeling on turning pages when reading paper books is unreplaceable.

Also, having a shelf full of books is way more satisfatory than having a hard disk full of data books. XD
Lennoc

Post by Lennoc »

I'm happy to see that nobody has voted for replacing the book Smile
I didn't vote because I didn't like the way the question was phrased. It isn't that I think books "should" be replaced. I just think it is going to happen. Market place reality and progress.

I'll be happy to be proved wrong.
Dennis Grey

Post by Dennis Grey »

I think the time will come that the book is going to get a good replacement. That time just isn't right now. The technology of this day cannot give you extra reading comfort PLUS give you the feel of a good paperback. Maybe in a few years they'll find a way to preserve that good old feeling of holding a paperback in you hands while you are actually reading it off a little machine. But I guess that will be at least 10-15 years from now.
nursemom77

Post by nursemom77 »

having a shelf full of books is way more satisfatory than having a hard disk full of data books.
I couldn't agree more. It is absolutely not the same.
ParanoidIdealDodo

Post by ParanoidIdealDodo »

Nothing can replace the reading experience only a book can provide. I love thumbing through pages. Besides...what will happen to the libraries among others? :D
Last edited by ParanoidIdealDodo on 02 Nov 2010, 16:47, edited 1 time in total.
StephenKingman

Post by StephenKingman »

ParanoidIdealDodo wrote:Nothing can replace the reading experience only a book can provide. I love thumbing through pages. Beside...what will happen to the libraries among others? :D
Be used for a set in the next Dan Brown movie? :wink:
Elphaba

Post by Elphaba »

After using an e-reader for a couple of years I can't go back... Well I can if I have no choice and I cannot get the ebook version of a book I really want to read. It is so uncomfortable! I keep double-clicking the words I don't understand trying to open the dictionary :-D
I personally cannot see any big advantage to paper books, except for cover art, maps or other graphic and color features, but I am sure that the next generations of e-readers will have these features too. The smell of old books gives me a headache and I don't like the touch of old paper.
ParanoidIdealDodo

Post by ParanoidIdealDodo »

StephenKingman wrote:
ParanoidIdealDodo wrote:Nothing can replace the reading experience only a book can provide. I love thumbing through pages. Beside...what will happen to the libraries among others? :D
Be used for a set in the next Dan Brown movie? :wink:
lol...nice one... :lol:
Dougiezerts

Post by Dougiezerts »

Elphaba wrote:After using an e-reader for a couple of years I can't go back... Well I can if I have no choice and I cannot get the ebook version of a book I really want to read. It is so uncomfortable! I keep double-clicking the words I don't understand trying to open the dictionary :-D
I personally cannot see any big advantage to paper books, except for cover art, maps or other graphic and color features, but I am sure that the next generations of e-readers will have these features too. The smell of old books gives me a headache and I don't like the touch of old paper.
So old books have a bad smell, eh? Maybe they cause cancer!
Lonestar

Post by Lonestar »

I see E-readers as an interesting adjunct to paper books, but there is the issue of technology, as in when/how it can fail. For me, it'd be disheartening for an E-reader to crash [due to battery- or operating-system failure, for example] when in the middle of a good read.

By contrast, a paper book doesn't need an electrical power source. One can read by candlelight or strong moonlight, at the least. :mrgreen:

Also, not everyone is so attuned to the latest computerized gadgets; so an E-reader wouldn't be for them. Paper books will be around a long, long time, I believe.
StephenKingman

Post by StephenKingman »

Lonestar wrote:I see E-readers as an interesting adjunct to paper books, but there is the issue of technology, as in when/how it can fail. For me, it'd be disheartening for an E-reader to crash [due to battery- or operating-system failure, for example] when in the middle of a good read.

By contrast, a paper book doesn't need an electrical power source. One can read by candlelight or strong moonlight, at the least. :mrgreen:

Also, not everyone is so attuned to the latest computerized gadgets; so an E-reader wouldn't be for them. Paper books will be around a long, long time, I believe.
An excellent point there about the battery Michael, and one i haven't considered before. You are right- anything electronic is not 100% reliable and i for one would hate to be in the middle of a chapter only to get a Low Battery warning :roll:

And also, E-Readers would not appeal to a lot of older people who are simply too set in their ways to learn the basics of Kindle etc and would prefer to sit down by the fire and have a good read like they have been doing all their lives. And i dont mean old as in 70 or 80 i mean people in their 40s and 50s who have a lot more reading left, not to mention income to keep book sales buoyant, in their lives. Certainly i cannot see paper being replaced for generations to come.
Addict82

Post by Addict82 »

Hello to all passionate book readers! I have just joined the book club and I'm so excited. I personally will never buy an EReader, you just can't take it everywhere! And you never know when it will switch off on you. With a book you can carry it everywhere read where ever you want to and it will never die out on you. It will always be your life long
Companion!
Samantha Nikkolai

Post by Samantha Nikkolai »

I don't think that the traditional books should be replaced with ebooks. Although with the technology today, ebooks are more handy but the feel of holding the traditional books gives you a different feeling. I personally would not trade a book for anything virtual with the same stuff.
GotThatSwing

Post by GotThatSwing »

Oh no, I can't even imagine books being replaced by ebooks. What about the pleasure of rummaging between the shelves in the bookstores, the designs of covers. Besides, after spending hours of work in front of a computer my eyes hurt enough and rather look at paper (I am guessing it's not only my case). Also, the bookstores seem to be in rather a good condition so I don't think people will swich so easily for ebooks.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”