Why the hate?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Liveforchrist51
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liveforchrist51.html
Latest Review: The Hundredth Time Around by Stacy Lee

Re: Why the hate?

Post by Liveforchrist51 »

I feel like having a real book in hand makes the experience more real. However, it is 2021 so technology is well up to date and as the generations pass, reading will evolve even more. I do hope that reading does not completely end up online though.
Kiran Kanwar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kiran-kanwar.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Kiran Kanwar »

I personally have never got into a conversation in which people choose to stick to one side. Nowadays people do understand that both ebooks and physical ones have their own pros and cons and thus they read through different mediums too.
Wesusa
Favorite Book: Dune
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesusa.html
Latest Review: Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening by JD Schmith

Post by Wesusa »

I don't have any negative feelings toward people who use Ebooks- if you enjoy that then I'm more than happy for you. I wish that I preferred that format just because of how cost effective it is in comparison to paperback. But I just prefer reading paperback.
A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it.

The only person who can sympathize with and understand you, is you. So, be good to yourself.
Anthonio042
Currently Reading: Sex, Genes and Rock 'n' Roll
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthonio042.html
Latest Review: "INVASIONS: 'Killing og the Indian'" by Don Diehl

Post by Anthonio042 »

We used to share the same viewpoint, but that changed once I read an ecopy I purchased on Kindle. The internet is already thriving, and it's unavoidable that the approach we've have used will be undercut. Despite the fact that we have all been entrapped by the traditional ones, we live in a time of modernization and understand that these are all to be anticipated.
Kidd Essence
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kidd-essence.html
Latest Review: Fast-Starting A Career of Consequence by Fred Sievert

Post by Kidd Essence »

Change is always hard. People will say, "Why fix something if it isn't broken!" But as society advances, anything that doesn't advance with it will be lost to the past. So in the long run books should become digital rather them being in an abandoned library somewhere in the future.
estanlypido12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-estanlypido12.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by estanlypido12 »

To simply put, most of us are just afraid of a drastic alteration of what we previously were accustomed to. In a similar context to these two subject matter, it continues to be controversial. However, let’s admit the fact that Kindle is very convenient to use and will make your read in one sitting.
Bradley Twesten
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bradley-twesten.html
Latest Review: Impromptu by Reid Hoffman

Post by Bradley Twesten »

ElizabethR wrote: 20 May 2018, 14:58 I used to be one of those people that thought that e-readers and Kindle were blasphemous to the art of appreciating books and storytelling. But then it dawned on me...stories transcend format. People used to think that writing stories down would take away from it during the years of solely oral tradition, and yet here we are. The art of reading evolves, just like any other human invention.

So, this is a discussion we've all encountered. But why do people get so vehement and passionate about their opinions of reading? What are your theories?
So do you also think listening to music on your phone is blasphemous compared to dialing in the tuner on your AM/FM radio? :) I suppose I shouldn't be sarcastic and cracking jokes. I just bought a record player....but is has bluetooth.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”