Why the hate?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Re: Why the hate?

Post by Bluebird03 »

I was skeptical at first, until several of my friends got e-readers. I saw how convenient they were. You can carry more than one book - in your purse. You can also use it for more than just reading books...all in one small package.
PepperedPenelope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pepperedpenelope.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by PepperedPenelope »

I think it all depends on your relationship to the book, and what is right for you personally. I never really thought about an e-reader (you have to pay for a device and then pay for the book? whatt?? when I could just pay for the book and use my eyeballs?). But then I challenged myself to read 100 books in a year. I had to get creative with my method of book acquisition - I couldn't always get to the library, and I wanted to be selective about which books I purchase (what if I spent 15$ and hated the book? or even 5$? it quickly adds up). I learned that you could rent library books (and there are sites where you can access free public domain books you can download to your kindle) on the kindle and was sold. Now that being said, there are books that I only want in physical format (you will have to pry my Harry Potter books from my cold dead hands) but, having my kindle (and my kindle app) has made reading so much easier - I no longer have to worry about ending up somewhere without a book.
Chikari
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chikari.html
Latest Review: The Talking Baobab Tree by Nelda LaTeef
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by Chikari »

I think people get defensive because reading is so intertwined with how they see themselves. It's part of their identity and people can be slow to accept change.
**Always happy to go on a new adventure!**
Choine
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-choine.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by Choine »

Human beings hate change. We love what is familiar to us and when someone suggests an "improvement" a lot of us are skeptical. I used to hate eReaders too, but then I discovered how convenient they are when I travel or if I'm short on shelf space.
lisalynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalynn.html
Latest Review: Sex on every Paige by Graham Spaid

Post by lisalynn »

Books replaced spoken word stories. Now ereaders are replacing books. Both are simply tools to help communicate a writer's ideas. The ideas are the important part, not the format they take.
Alison Alissa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alison-alissa.html
Latest Review: The Touch by Robert Flynn III

Post by Alison Alissa »

I guess the word is not hate but the inability for people to spare some to comprehend the new innovations.I feel at one we will have to comply because the world is enhancing day by day and I love that factor of development.
Femi05
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-femi05.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Femi05 »

I loved my paperbacks but i found a new love in technology with the many ebooks and platforms for reading i eould never have had access to.

Invariably it has made me more of a reader than i could ever have been and this reading has directly impacted on my writing significantly.

But then, not everybody embraces change. Not immediately anyway and this is one change that has come to stay. We must either adapt or get left behind.
beccabecky
Currently Reading: Restaurant Insanity
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beccabecky.html
Latest Review: The Geeks Conquer the Universe by Keith Mackie

Post by beccabecky »

I guess because reading awakens passion in those who love doing it, so that might be why people react so vehemently to changes.
Lady-of-Literature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-of-literature.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Lady-of-Literature »

That's a really good question! I'm sure there are several possible answers and even more variables to consider to reach a plausible conclusion. From my perspective, I would argue that the reason for this hate toward e-books(for example) is misplaced hate towards change. People have always and will always be reluctant to change. It's unfamiliar and rattles the consistency of the now and challenges our comfortable boundaries, e-books may provide us with stories but it does so in a new and scary format. We don't have to travel anymore to bet books, they are instantly available at our fingertips through ebooks. We also have access to creating and publishing original content and forums such as these, in the past, this was not so commonplace. I believe the hate and hesitantly is a natural feeling for people and like before I believe we shall more past this onto better things without forgetting where we've been. Paperbacks aren't going anywhere and more than campfire stories.
Jennz123
Favorite Author: Alastair Reynolds
Favorite Book: Ender’s Game
Currently Reading: The Party Crasher
Bookshelf Size: 2232
fav_author_id: 11570

Post by Jennz123 »

I too avoided getting an ereader for ages but now I’ve surpassed it and gone audible, it’s great with some Bluetooth headphones!

The reason I was so anti ebooks was that I worried if everyone jumped ship they would eventually stop making paper books. I have fond memories of paper books from my childhood and it felt like this issue was undermining that emotional attachment
Leyla Ann
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Call Me by Your Name
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla-ann.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Leyla Ann »

Being among the last generation, I haven't really stumbled upon anyone with such hate.

My theory is that maybe the older generation feels threatened by the fast and yet vast amount of change.
People who read are hiders. They hide who they are. People who hide don't always like who they are.
Zion Mesa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zion-mesa.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by Zion Mesa »

In my opinion, people, (especially in the west where major daily survival challenges take a backseat) are always looking for things to debate about.

We're resistant to change in general because it's uncomfortable. Now I can understand having a preference for hard copies versus otherwise, but hating on the fact that books are available digitally is probably more of a fear that they'll stop making hard copies rather than a dislike of the fact that they exist.
Netvigator72
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netvigator72.html
Latest Review: Kindred Journeys by Marjorie Tapley-Olson

Post by Netvigator72 »

sarbearah wrote: 17 Aug 2018, 18:29 I agree with the people above - most of the things that annoyed me about my kindle were small inconveniences that came with everyday electronics, like having to charge it and having a screen to keep clean. One thing I do love (and hate) about my kindle is that it keeps me from skipping ahead during a frustrating part in my book, lol!
Well said 😂
Falling4Ever
Currently Reading: Titans
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falling4ever.html
Latest Review: G.E.M.S. by Daphne Valcourt

Post by Falling4Ever »

I think they just don't embody the feeling of reading physical books. I personally like books more than ebooks because of the sense of reaching the end where you can see that there is only a little left easily.
readsbyarun
Favorite Book: Wilderness Cry
Currently Reading: Spirituality in the 21st Century
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readsbyarun.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by readsbyarun »

I agree with the point. it is a bit inconvenient in handling and maintaining the e-book devices. but the level of comfort that you would get while you are using it during your everyday travel, is something that you should always appreciate.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”