Opinion on eReaders?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Sarabell
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sarabell »

Lisaren wrote:I absolutely love my Kindle. It has been dropped, it has been slept on, it has been used to read about 100 books in the last 4 months. Of course, I did purchase the leather case to help protect it. It was one of the best purchases I have ever made. To keep from spending a fortune on new books I am downloading and reading the classics that are available free. Of the 100 I have downloaded, I have only paid for about 17. I do not get the month long battery life, but mine is on for over 2 hours every day and I read pretty fast. The more pages you turn, the quicker the battery goes dead. I get about 3 weeks from a full charge.
This is mostly me! I LOOOOOOOVE my Kindle.

A lot of posters have mentioned the smell, the weight, the feel of a book... I thought I would be like that. I did not at all want an ereader. I loved all of the above, and I loved the library and had no interest in starting to pay $10 a pop for what I used to get in bulk for free. But, my husband got me a Kindle for my birthday abouta year and a half ago. I love it so much! So many books at my fingertips!

I do still use the library and buy paper books sometimes. I don't miss it like I thought I would, though. There are a ton of free books on the Kindle, and while I sometimes want to read bestsellers rather than classics, it's good for me to have so many classics available for free-- I should read more of them, anyway. :lol: Plus, the Kindle recently started the sharing feature-- it's not perfect (you can only share once, and for 14 days), but it's a start.

As far as which ereader, I do reccomend the Kindle, but it's the only one I've used, so I can't compare fairly. The first thing I would do in deciding which one to get is immediately drop anything backlit from the list. I can read my Kindle, with the e-ink, so much longer than I could read a backlit screen without hurting my eyes or head, AND I can read my Kindle in the sun. I would never be able to read a backlit screen at the park, so I love that I can read outdoors with my kindle.
A year ago I would have said that I'd choose whichever reader worked best with library systems, but I wouldnt' necessarily say that now. Now I'd say-- ask your librarian. Even libraries that work with them still only have so many copies they can loan out with copywrite laws, so many still have long wait-lists for e-books, and not many choices at that-- that would negate the library benefit to me.
I also love that the Kindle offers a phone app. I read at night with my Kindle at home, then waiting in the kids' pick-up line for half an hour after school, I just 'sync' my phone, and pick up right where I left off, and vice versa. It's perfect!

Good luck to those deciding!
Mairin

Post by Mairin »

I've had my Kindle for two days now and I love it!!
~I'm so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I'm saying.~ Oscar Wilde
Barlow

Post by Barlow »

I bought a kindle just before Christmas and have to say it's the best purchase I've made in a long time.

I'm a huge fan of Stephen King and have all his work in Hardback/Paperback and will always buy his books in hard copy but for me The Kindle Is King!!!!

I'd advise any one who enjoys reading to purchase one.
Amber098724

Post by Amber098724 »

I bought a Sony eReader last April it's not even a year old and I'm trying to get rid of it. It's not that I hate it, its a really good product for what it's intended to be used for.

I just miss reading physical books too much I guess.
Carelmackenbach

Post by Carelmackenbach »

Think Kindle is one of the best. They offer a nice device, which allows you to read in the sunshine. You can read it on your PC, Mac or iPad and iphone and even more important: it synchronizes between these devices where you've been, allowing you to switch device while reading.

Recently I discovered they are working on putting an updated edition of a book on your Kindle. My novel has been revised in the past year and if readers want to have it they now can contact customer service to have it replaced at no cost. Later this year there will be an option to do so automatically.

Carel
TornUpReaper

Post by TornUpReaper »

I have a Kindle, and I absolutely love it. My fiancee got it for me as a christmas present, and I use it every day now. :)
Teesie

Post by Teesie »

I just got the Kindle for PC app. I like how they have a lot of books, especially classics, for free. I downloaded like 20 books and didn't pay a dime. I still love my paper books though....I love the smell of fresh paper in a new book. :)
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads only lives one.
TornUpReaper

Post by TornUpReaper »

i agree with that, new books smell wonderful!
StitchMySmile
Favorite Author: Neal Stephenson
Favorite Book: Snow Crash
Currently Reading: Hammer and Anvil
fav_author_id: 9595

Post by StitchMySmile »

A guy I work with has a Kindle. They are pretty nice. they are very easy on your eyes. I am not sure how they do it, but the screen looks like paper. You can't read it in the dark, but you also wont get that eye strain a screen normally produces. Personally I prefer real books. I like they way they feel in my hands. However, if you are worried about space I can say that the kindle is the one I would pick. I also love the smell of new books. I'm glad I am not the only one who notices that sort of thing.
BooksByEssie

Post by BooksByEssie »

I have a nook and a nookcolor and love them both! I recommend them to anyone who asks. I even saw an old man at the doctor's office a few week ago reading on a nook. He said he loved it, especially since he could change the font size instead of getting large print books.

My daughter (2 years old) also loves the nookcolor. The children's books are amazing! I downloaded Olivia and the Missing Toy today and the "read to me" function includes dramatic music and animated reading! I LOVE watching her "read" by herself!
Jackburd

Post by Jackburd »

i think kindle reading device is better. It also have a 3G
BooksByEssie

Post by BooksByEssie »

Jackburd wrote:i think kindle reading device is better. It also have a 3G
My original nook also has 3g and I never used it. The nook also runs on android, which makes it easier to modify, which my husband found quite interesting.
Bookwurms
Favorite Author: Linwood Barclay
Favorite Book: The Hunger Games Trilogy
fav_author_id: 3881

Post by Bookwurms »

Hi I've been using a Kindle for a little over a year now and really love it. It got me reading again. I found many free books all over the Internet. My partner has a KObo and loves it too. What's nice about the Kobo is that you can see the book cover on your reader when it's in sleep mode. So it's like a real book. I wish the Kindle would do that too. :roll:
ioculus

Post by ioculus »

I'm using PocketBook Pro 907 and I like it very much. It's has a big screen (many old books that are digitalized are big pdf pages, so on a small screen it's a problem to read them; there are other modles with a small screen), it has WiFi and many, many other useful things. Although I like it so much as a tool to read book I cannot posses in printed copies, I prefer traditional books. If I have a choice between more expensive printed one and an ebook I chose printed. Maybe I'm a dinosaur in XXI century.
You're talking much about Kindle. I've tried it once and I wasn't very enthusiastic.
jamesdeser

Post by jamesdeser »

In my opinion The Nook Color bridges the gap between e-readers like the Kindle, and full-blown tablets like the iPad. It also acknowledges something that had up till now been ignored: That the logical end of the e-reader evolution is, ya-ta-ta-taaaa, a tablet. But drab e-ink readers still have their place, especially if you like to read outside. They also adhere to a budget that just won't accommodate an iPad. So I decided to put together a list of similar gadgets, just in time for the holiday shopping season, that shows the advantages and tradeoffs at every key price point.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”