Opinion on eReaders?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Derrickdave_alvarez
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Derrickdave_alvarez »

A lot of Sony fans here. I would want to read them via IPAD. the thing itself is already like a book. It is very cool!
Maujazulmos

Post by Maujazulmos »

I loved to read even I am traveling. I want to have Kindle on my side reading one of my favorite books. I like Kindle rather than Ipad because of its simplicity saving my eyes against radiation.
Lisaren

Post by Lisaren »

I absolutely love my Kindle. It has been dropped, it has been slept on, it has been used to read about 100 books in the last 4 months. Of course, I did purchase the leather case to help protect it. It was one of the best purchases I have ever made. To keep from spending a fortune on new books I am downloading and reading the classics that are available free. Of the 100 I have downloaded, I have only paid for about 17. I do not get the month long battery life, but mine is on for over 2 hours every day and I read pretty fast. The more pages you turn, the quicker the battery goes dead. I get about 3 weeks from a full charge.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Lisaren wrote:I absolutely love my Kindle. It has been dropped, it has been slept on, it has been used to read about 100 books in the last 4 months. Of course, I did purchase the leather case to help protect it. It was one of the best purchases I have ever made. To keep from spending a fortune on new books I am downloading and reading the classics that are available free. Of the 100 I have downloaded, I have only paid for about 17. I do not get the month long battery life, but mine is on for over 2 hours every day and I read pretty fast. The more pages you turn, the quicker the battery goes dead. I get about 3 weeks from a full charge.
Thanks for that you answered a few of my queries there especially how it stands up to being dropper as books regularly end up falling out of bed or being slept on. I'm still quietly optomistic Santa has my order ... could be a Xmas of picture but no sound if he doesn't deliver. :cry:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Nicolastraffic1

Post by Nicolastraffic1 »

thanks for sharing such nice posting.
Browsers

Post by Browsers »

>> It has been dropped, it has been slept on, it has been used

That's better than a friend of mine who is on her 3rd Kindle in 6 months: one fell out of bed, one got wet.

To me, an electronic text file is just that: an electronic text file, not a book. Although I am a happy user of electronic files, I really only USE them. When I am doing pleasure reading, I'd rather have the more pleasurable experience of reading a book....why should I pay more just to have an inferior product?
Melaniep

Post by Melaniep »

I love my Kindle. I've dropped it numerous times, with no problems. I love that it knows my Amazon Wishlist. I love the recommendations it gives me. And if I pop it into a ziplock, I can read in the bathtub! :D

And yes, they do sell Kindles in Target now, so you could look at them there. I'm not sure if they're in any other stores or not.
Mairin

Post by Mairin »

My husband has been using his Ipad for an e reader and after having to pack all of our books in order to move I decided that we had way too many. So we got rid of all of our paperbacks, kept the hardbacks and first editions, and I'm gonna get a Kindle. I've been hearing good things so I'll give it a go.
~I'm so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I'm saying.~ Oscar Wilde
BookWorm617

Post by BookWorm617 »

I own the amazon Kindle and I love it however I wish it had a backlight. That is my only problem with it. Also I am a collector of books so I only order the ones that I don't mind not having the actual book for my collection.
Melaniep

Post by Melaniep »

BookWorm617 wrote:I own the amazon Kindle and I love it however I wish it had a backlight. That is my only problem with it. Also I am a collector of books so I only order the ones that I don't mind not having the actual book for my collection.
I actually love that it's not backlit. After staring at a computer screen at work all day, then browsing the web in my spare time, the last thing I want is something else straining my eyes when I cozy up to read and wind down before bed.
Mairin

Post by Mairin »

Melaniep wrote:
BookWorm617 wrote:I own the amazon Kindle and I love it however I wish it had a backlight. That is my only problem with it. Also I am a collector of books so I only order the ones that I don't mind not having the actual book for my collection.
I actually love that it's not backlit. After staring at a computer screen at work all day, then browsing the web in my spare time, the last thing I want is something else straining my eyes when I cozy up to read and wind down before bed.
Yea I have to agree with you there, I'm staring at a computer screen for nearly 12 hours at work and after a while it really kills my eyes.
~I'm so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I'm saying.~ Oscar Wilde
Johnnytwins

Post by Johnnytwins »

I have my reservations about ereaders personally I love my Ifone. My main and I guess only problem with ereaders is you can not read in the dark without a purchased light for them; however my Ifone has a back light built in.
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

I have a Sony ereader and I love it. For those of you that have apprehensions about purchasing an ereader because of the lack of a backlight just remember that you have the same issue with a regular paper book :wink: . Whatever technique you use to deal with that issue is the same one you would use for an ereader.

Also, ereaders are meant for long term reading whereas tablet PCs (iPad, etc) are not. Reading from the e-ink on an ereader feels the same as reading from a paperback.

You can carry basically your entire book collection with you everywhere you go. Instead of trying to decide 'which book should I take on this trip" you can just carry them all.

As someone mentioned already there are so many books that you can download for free. All of the classics are free.

What I like about my sony ereader as well is the built in dictionary and note taking tools. I can highlight a word and the definition will pop up at the bottom of the screen. I can highlight a passage and it will save that highlight to my notes. Later on instead of flipping through the book trying to find the passages I highlighted I can just go to a menu that shows all of my notes for that book. I can also write and draw in it with the stylus. It also allow audio playback. That means I can listen to audio books or audio lessons like language learning material where you have to read from a vocabulary book while listening to a speaker pronounce the words. This thing is just all around cool.
Kawthar

Post by Kawthar »

I prefer paper books to e-readers besides it is not very available on this side of the and even if they i bet it must be expensive
Marto

Post by Marto »

Seems like the Ipad's battery life when drain quickly when it's brightly lit.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”