Helpful Tip for iPhone and iPad Users

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
JessNWheeler
Favorite Author: Ruth Rendell
Currently Reading: The Girl Next Door: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessnwheeler.html
Latest Review: Growing Up in the Dragonfly Zone by Marlana DeMarco Hogan
Reading Device: B075QN8NDH
fav_author_id: 3998

Helpful Tip for iPhone and iPad Users

Post by JessNWheeler »

Hello fellow Apple users! Did you know that Siri can read your ebooks & PDFs to you? I like to put Siri to work when I’m driving or doing dishes. A quick Google search will give you links to directions on how to set this up. It’s super easy. Think of the extra reading you can get in with Siri’s help!
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde
Wambamsammz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Wambamsammz »

Oh, my goodness. As someone who listens to a lot of podcasts & audiobooks at work already, this just blew my whole mind.

I'm going to be sneaking in markers and pens to write notes on scraps of trash but by gosh it will get done!
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinglady.html
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Post by DancingLady »

I would caution you that you must not do this with a book you are reviewing. You would most likely miss every single typo or error and even if you could hear them because Siri read something that sounded awkward, you very likely won't be able to pull the device out and locate it to make a note for your review before Siri has moved on so far you have lost the place. There is also the issue that an electronic reader no matter how good, is not going to give all the inflection properly, and this will affect your ability to perceive the whether the writing flows well, has smooth natural sounding, dialogue, or has a stilted feel. Other than that, it's great if you want to get through books while doing other tasks. I would put this to use for books I want to get through for personal education.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

DancingLady wrote: 27 Feb 2018, 22:39 I would caution you that you must not do this with a book you are reviewing. You would most likely miss every single typo or error and even if you could hear them because Siri read something that sounded awkward, you very likely won't be able to pull the device out and locate it to make a note for your review before Siri has moved on so far you have lost the place. There is also the issue that an electronic reader no matter how good, is not going to give all the inflection properly, and this will affect your ability to perceive the whether the writing flows well, has smooth natural sounding, dialogue, or has a stilted feel. Other than that, it's great if you want to get through books while doing other tasks. I would put this to use for books I want to get through for personal education.
I agree to this. Plus, does Siri do the reading well enough? She could miss the whole point of a sentence and it will sound a bit bland to you. It may also lessen the experience or connection you will have with the book. However, I would try for this for books I have read already. Thanks for the tip!
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
chironwolf52
Favorite Book: Ask and It Is Given
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chironwolf52.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B002FQJT3Q

Post by chironwolf52 »

OH wow! Really? Thank you so much for this information. I'm going to try that right now! :clap:
Louanne Piccolo
Currently Reading: A Judegement in Stone
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-louanne-piccolo.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Louanne Piccolo »

I've just bought an iPad, it's my first Apple device, and I had no idea Siri could do this.
2 questions: does it only work on Google books? Is it only in English?
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

What a great idea! I had not heard of this or ever considered it. Thank you for the great information!
Jennashby_87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennashby-87.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B07CZMMQPM

Post by Jennashby_87 »

I did not know that but I am definitely going to use it now! Thanks for the tip!
Falling4Ever
Currently Reading: Titans
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falling4ever.html
Latest Review: G.E.M.S. by Daphne Valcourt

Post by Falling4Ever »

I didn't know that! I'll definitely check that out when I have time.
Samuel Windybank
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-wimbaum.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Samuel Windybank »

How cool! I’m going to try it right now and see how it goes! I always find it funny how Siri can’t pronounce a lot of words so this should be funny 🤣
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: A Walk Through the Grapes by David Jackson

Post by Honest-reviewer »

JessNWheeler wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 16:38 Hello fellow Apple users! Did you know that Siri can read your ebooks & PDFs to you? I like to put Siri to work when I’m driving or doing dishes. A quick Google search will give you links to directions on how to set this up. It’s super easy. Think of the extra reading you can get in with Siri’s help!
What!! You’ve given me such a wonderful news today.. Thanks a lot! I will try searching about it now.. I love making Siri work for me.😂
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: A Walk Through the Grapes by David Jackson

Post by Honest-reviewer »

DancingLady wrote: 27 Feb 2018, 22:39 I would caution you that you must not do this with a book you are reviewing. You would most likely miss every single typo or error and even if you could hear them because Siri read something that sounded awkward, you very likely won't be able to pull the device out and locate it to make a note for your review before Siri has moved on so far you have lost the place. There is also the issue that an electronic reader no matter how good, is not going to give all the inflection properly, and this will affect your ability to perceive the whether the writing flows well, has smooth natural sounding, dialogue, or has a stilted feel. Other than that, it's great if you want to get through books while doing other tasks. I would put this to use for books I want to get through for personal education.
I absolutely agree with you! Siri is good only for casual reading. Reviewing should be done by carefully reading the books.
Xenolyph
Currently Reading: Flowers in the Attic
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xenolyph.html
Latest Review: Shepherds of Destiny by Kiel Barnekov
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by Xenolyph »

Thank you for the tip! I don't like to be on my laptop too much when reading books. It's just so much to carry. This is a helpful tip! I'll have to try this feature the next time I run errands. I always like to listen to books or podcasts while I'm in the car :) Thank you again!
aruntr2001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aruntr2001.html
Latest Review: Theatre of Racial Conflict by Bunmi Popoola

Post by aruntr2001 »

you can use the read option on the kindle in iPad which will read through the book. Also, you can use export highlights option to extract the saved highlights into a picture which can be used to post on various social media
readsbyarun
Favorite Book: Wilderness Cry
Currently Reading: Spirituality in the 21st Century
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readsbyarun.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by readsbyarun »

Yeah that's a great feature in all Apple devices. You can also use on-screen reader to read the contents of any books.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”