Differences in functionality between e-book reading apps

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Differences in functionality between e-book reading apps

Post by ayoomisope »

I've noticed that if one downloads an epub or a mobi file here on OBC and opens it on Calibre or some other ebok reading app, you will most likely experience page format issues and typos. On the other hand, you might not experience with some others. I'm really not sure why this happens and I would like to hear your opinion on this.

In addition, do you think this problem contributes to readers attributing grammatical and spelling errors to books wrongly?
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
ChaosofaMadHatter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chaosofamadhatter.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by ChaosofaMadHatter »

It's mostly a coding issue. Certain symbols don't translate well between codes, such as commas, apostrophes, etc. This can even extend to spaces between words in some instances. If the file wasn't proof read in that specific format before publishing, some of those coding errors may have been missed. I could definitely see it causing some wrongly attributed errors, but I think that's the benefit of having multiple people review a piece on multiple platforms.
readsbyarun
Favorite Book: Wilderness Cry
Currently Reading: Spirituality in the 21st Century
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readsbyarun.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by readsbyarun »

i don't see big difference between them but the reading apps installed in mobile phones will provide a better synchronization features.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”