What is the best e reader out there?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
fayetino
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fayetino.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

What is the best e reader out there?

Post by fayetino »

Hi guys. I am looking into buying my first e-reader but I don't really know where to start. I want an e-reader that can load my downloaded epub and pdf files and supports night reading. Any recommendations? thanx
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emie-cuevas.html
Latest Review: Trumpism: A Cultural Psycho-Genesis by Michel Valentin
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Emie Cuevas »

I find that calibre is the best ereader for my computer. If you need to, Calibre can also convert formats so you can easily swap to other devices. It also syncs with my kindle, so I can read on either, and it keeps my place.
Envision Tressy
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-envision-tressy.html

Post by Envision Tressy »

I haven't bought one myself but from all the readers out there, I think kindle is the best one. Everyone is talking about it here and there
Her eyes were like the sun, glowing red hot in the darkness of light!
Gifty Naa Akushia
Currently Reading: HEALTH TIPS, MYTHS, AND TRICKS
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gifty-naa-akushia.html
Latest Review: "Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice" by Morton E.Tavel
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Gifty Naa Akushia »

I have been glued to kindle for some time now and am honestly enjoying the experience.
Latest Review: "Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice" by Morton E.Tavel
Rosey481
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Rosey481 »

The best reader for me is Kindle
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12473
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

fayetino wrote: 07 Aug 2017, 02:49 Hi guys. I am looking into buying my first e-reader but I don't really know where to start. I want an e-reader that can load my downloaded epub and pdf files and supports night reading. Any recommendations? thanx
Don't waste your money buying an ereader if you have a smartphone. Just download free ereader Prestigio app on Google Play and you are good to go. There are lots of free books. It's what I'm using.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I love my Kindle and would recommend the brand to anyone. It’s easy to use and durable.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
fayetino
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fayetino.html

Post by fayetino »

Dolor wrote: 30 Nov 2017, 15:45
fayetino wrote: 07 Aug 2017, 02:49 Hi guys. I am looking into buying my first e-reader but I don't really know where to start. I want an e-reader that can load my downloaded epub and pdf files and supports night reading. Any recommendations? thanx
Don't waste your money buying an ereader if you have a smartphone. Just download free ereader Prestigio app on Google Play and you are good to go. There are lots of free books. It's what I'm using.
i do have a smartphone and currenlty use Aldiko ebook reader but i would like to save my battery and only use my phone when necessary. I've heard e-readers have long lasting batteries so that is an added advantage for me.
ruishigan
Currently Reading: Lady Sophie's Christmas Wish
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by ruishigan »

I've been with Kindle for a long time now. I love my Paperwhite. My old school Kindle keyboard also runs like a champ, it's just a little slower.
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12473
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

ruishigan wrote: 26 Dec 2017, 13:08 I've been with Kindle for a long time now. I love my Paperwhite. My old school Kindle keyboard also runs like a champ, it's just a little slower.
Kindle may be the best e-reader out there but not in countries where it is unavailable. That is why, I stick to eReader Prestigio. It's free with lots of free books and you can listen to the ereader if you have the tolerance in "rough reading". ✌😷😂
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

Yeah, I'm going to agree with Dolor here. I think e-readers themselves are an absolute waste of money. I've never much cared for the way you navigate them and the fact that they're only good for books makes me less inclined to use them. I have an iPad Mini2 that works perfectly and I can use Kindle, Nook, and iBooks all on one device, which ultimately I feel is INFINITELY better simply because the thought of being tied down to one e-reader is annoying to me. This way, I can go to whichever one has the cheaper version (seeing as I don't have a lot of money to spend on books these days).

If you're looking for something to keep all your books on, this is honestly the best way to do it. Not to mention the fact that you can have other apps on there as well and you have access to web browsers. It's just better all around, in my opinion, and I've avoided the actual e-readers ever since. Apps are simply more useful. Also, as far as I'm aware, you can download just about any of your own epub files into iBooks.
Stanzz
Currently Reading: Herai
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stanzz.html
Latest Review: Book Blueprint by Jacqui Pretty

Post by Stanzz »

I would argue that there isn't one "best" ereader out there. Personally, I swear by my Tolino, but I honestly have no idea how hard it would be to get one outside of Germany. I like that it uses epub and pdf, it's incredibly intuitive to get new books on and off of it, the battery lasts forEVER, and it's got epaper. Now, I don't like looking at a backlit screen for very long, so that's right for me. It's also the only one I really have much experience with, but hopefully my two cents is helpful.
RebeccasReading
Currently Reading: I, Richard Plantagenet
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccasreading.html
Latest Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Post by RebeccasReading »

I have both a Kindle Fire Tablet and a Kindle Paperwhite. The tablet is great for daily use because it has access to the internet, but my Paperwhite is the best for outdoor reading. It auto-adjusts to the light where you are, so you never experience a glare. I love bringing it to the beach!
jennibabe31
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennibabe31.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by jennibabe31 »

I love my kindle fire. I use an app called overdrive (free). Anything that doesn't download to my kindle downloads to it. I can read at night or in the sun with just swiping the brightness setting.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

I am a Kindle advocate, just 'cuz it's very simple to use and the battery life is pretty good.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”