Are Books Disappearing?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Dlwilson
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Are Books Disappearing?

Post by Dlwilson »

I believe that this is a strong opinion and somewhat verified. The world is moving further toward more technical based, just meaning the world is using more and more technology. The idea of a paper book will slowly decrease but I don't believe it would completely disappear. I believe we have some humanity to preserve where and what we come from.

But I do think it I hard to not get use to having everything you read on one device and having any book at your finger tips. However, I can not see this not having an effect on increase in problems with eyesight.

Books are the way we continue to share our world with future generations. Many things we know now came from a book an explorer found or dug up. So I don't think they will disappear but I do think they will decrease.
ljfricker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ljfricker.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by ljfricker »

The Mythwriter wrote: 13 Oct 2009, 23:49 The ebooks may be cheap, but their readers sure aren't, and that will keep me and most of my college friends from ever buying one. I don't believe I've ever seen one outside a store display either, so they're not ultra-popular yet, if you were to ask my perspective.

Now, there can be no debate they will get quite affordable in the next few years, these things always do... at least, they should. As much as they want money, the economical thing is to of course sell them as cheap as possible so more people buy.

It's really interesting going back and reading early posts in this topic from 10 years ago when e-readers were just coming into their own. Now that they are so affordable, plus you have the option of using free apps to read via your phone, tablet or computer, it is great to see that while they are used for convenience, especially travel, lots of people still love the feel of a real book.
jesscat304
Favorite Book: The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A f*ck
Currently Reading: It Ends with Us
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscat304.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by jesscat304 »

I hope not, I love a really good book and although I love the fact that I can get a book at any time, anywhere from my handheld devices I cannot imagine a world without books. I would always be the type of person who is loyal to certain authors and tries almost all their books, whilst also trying new ones, so I’m okay with paying a bit more for that.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Post by mmm17 »

This is a controversial topic and I'm definitely curious to find out what's going to happen in a few years. It's been a while since people have predicted that printed books would be completely replaced by online editions, but this hasn't really happened yet. I certainly hope it won't happen! I just love to hold a printed book in my hands and go through the pages. I believe there will always be a market for them, but maybe that's just wishful thinking...
_Delly_01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delly-01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by _Delly_01 »

This is a really good question, and it's one that kind of scares me. I think we will always have physical books, because they have a foothold in the old and modern world. They're literally the only thing that represent civilisation.

But then again, it makes sense that physical books would no longer be printed because it's more convenient to purchase ebooks, especially the more technologically reliant we become. I think when it gets to the point we have hover cars, printed books would be put into some kind of sacred warehouse or museum, with only the most iconic ones on display. It's sad to think about.
Macanthony
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-macanthony.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Macanthony »

Books are not disappearing you will figure out that large amount of people still read books for me they are going nowhere anytime soon
saimi_v
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saimi-v.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by saimi_v »

The printed book never will be replace by an e-book, but e-book is a very easy and cheap so to the author can reach another people in other parts of de world o de country that would be more difficult in another way.
For example, if I would like to read a book that only will be published in USA, and I live in UK, it's very expensive to me pay a Currier to bring me the book I like. But, if I can buy by Internet, will be very cheap (it doesn't need any currier), and I will have it in seconds in my hands
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I think, as space decreases and costs go up, the printed book will decrease and the ebook will rise, but I also believe that a lot of people still prefer the physical thing. I mean, look at the recent controversy over Marie Kondo's remarks. Regardless of whether you agree with her or not, I think everyone can admit that a lot of people still want to buy physical books because of what that physicality offers in terms of psychological health and satisfaction.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
mamilla93
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamilla93.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by mamilla93 »

Yes, there are. I can see a definite future where books would be a thing of the past. I am already on board with that plan!
Ak1412
Currently Reading: Reawakened
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ak1412.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Ak1412 »

As much as I see the value of ebooks, I worry that book stores and libraries may seize to exist due to ebooks.
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

I don't think books in paperback will disappear. I know several people who have difficulty reading eBooks because of problems with their eyesight.
IamShing
Favorite Book: Doctor Sleep
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamshing.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by IamShing »

I dont know but I still prefer hard bound books because they are more friendly to humanity and economy.
'Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.'
readsbyarun
Favorite Book: Wilderness Cry
Currently Reading: Spirituality in the 21st Century
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readsbyarun.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by readsbyarun »

I don't see there is any danger of physical books disappearing. The books are made to reach everyone globally by the introduction of e-books. whereas there are still more number of emerging authors and also more books coming uo in the market.
amelyjcob
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by amelyjcob »

Even when the paperback arrives, it can only be used by one person at a time. The usability of the paperback is also limited because the users cannot adjust the font sizes and even change the brightness of a page. ... Finally, the paperback books will disappear over the next 50 years due to conservation efforts
Ebets
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62

Post by Ebets »

I really hope books don’t eventually disappear. I highly doubt it though since people seem to still prefer books over electronics for reading. I read on both but prefer reading a book.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”