Are Books Disappearing?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
read2u
Currently Reading: Unveil your Intimate Self
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-read2u.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Re: Are Books Disappearing?

Post by read2u »

Here's to keeping books. There is nothing like the smell and feel of a book! I especially enjoy browsing through bookstores and the library for a good read. However, I am going to get a "reader" due to joining this book club because it will be easier when traveling.
seymmarc
Currently Reading: The Nun
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seymmarc.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by seymmarc »

I think it would be very hard for books to disappear. Yes, ebooks and audiobooks are cheaper and easier to access, but the technology you need to read them isn't cheap. I know I wouldn't have an eReader if it hadn't been a gift. The other thing with using technology to read is it's just not as durable. I would feel comfortable reading a print book near a lake or a pool in the sun, but that's hard on technology. Also, students will need print books to work with when in school since most schools ban electronics in the classroom and having an eReader for each student would be expensive. So if we are still printing textbooks and other books for educational purposes, it would be hard to do the same outside of the classroom.
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I love that this topic was made in 2009, books are still alive and kicking. There will always be people who prefer actual physical books and purchasing different formats will always be based on income/ space/ lifestyle.
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 773
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

I believe you hit the nail on the head. But, I hope books will remain and not become distinct because I still love and appreciate holding a good physical copy, within the palms of my hands.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
See_B00kReaDs
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-see-b00kreads.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by See_B00kReaDs »

I don't think books will disappear any time soon since there are hard copy avid readers. I do hope authors won't be discourage in writing more books though.
“Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don’t really matter.”
– Francis Chan

God bless you! :D
Amanda Nixon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nixon.html
Latest Review: Saving Grace by Kathryn Garten

Post by Amanda Nixon »

I definitely do not think that they will disappear altogether but they are going away quite a bit. I used to have more book stores near me and I loved it but with all the ebook readers and whatnot, a lot of them have gone out of business and left just a few. I don't think, though, that they will all go away because I think there are enough of us out there who prefer to buy a real book that will always be doing so even if they also have some sort of e reader
pdowell
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by pdowell »

This makes me actually really sad. I could not imagine a world that I could not unplug myself from everything else and just read. Everything from the smell of freshly printed books to the cozy-at home feeling of entering a book store
Tzara Drusak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tzara-drusak.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Tzara Drusak »

Old-fashioned books are always going to exist, in my opinion. Despite the issues surrounding it, what with the ecosystem damage, the production price and it being cheaper and easier to reproduce digitally, I feel that people will always want a few books in their physical libraries. This is proven by the ever-present desire for first editions and the high value of older, classic books. Like I said, long live print.
And in the end, we were all just humans... Drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness.

-F. Scott Fitzgerald-
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

I don't think we have to worry about hard copy books disappearing just yet. We still have a good chunk of people who enjoy having the actual book in their hands. Perhaps in the future, as technology becomes more prominent we may start to see books fade away.
rave_2
Currently Reading: A Word so Fitly Spoken
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rave-2.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by rave_2 »

There are still people around that prefer printed books rather than ebooks or audio books. I don't think that books are disappearing. It's just the format we tell them with could change.
Just reading... :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyinggray:
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
kinjoz
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kinjoz.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by kinjoz »

There are less people nowadays who go out to seek for books and instead opt for the ebook version of whatever topic they are after. They are of course cheaper, and easily accessible. They are also less bulky to carry around. But I would not exactly say that books are disappearing, it is that more people are shifting to the convenience of ebooks.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

In many cases books dissapear after they go out of print unless someone issues a reprint or ebook version of the book.
Oulababe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oulababe.html
Latest Review: Invisible Me by H M Irwing

Post by Oulababe »

I don't think books will disappear completely. What I think is that they'll become less hence their demand will rise and they will start publishing more.
wordslinger42
Currently Reading: The Lost Road and Other Writings
Bookshelf Size: 669
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordslinger42.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by wordslinger42 »

I actually read somewhere that physical book sales were up this year and e-book sales were down!
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

I hope not. Even though I use my Kindle the most, I still love to read and collect actual hard copy books.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”