Help opening ebook files (epub, mobi, PDF, etc.)

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
NoorLightwood
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Help opening ebook files (epub, mobi, PDF, etc.)

Post by NoorLightwood »

1- PDF
2-smartphone
3-Yes
4- I usually click on the link and after a few minutes it would download, this time it showed it’s downloading but didn’t download the file.
5-Yes
6- No
7-Yes
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

NoorLightwood wrote: 24 Feb 2020, 22:03 1- PDF
2-smartphone
3-Yes
4- I usually click on the link and after a few minutes it would download, this time it showed it’s downloading but didn’t download the file.
5-Yes
6- No
7-Yes
The issue may be with your cell. Try to download and save it on a PC, and then move it to your device. If it still doesn't work, you should report it via your Update tab.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Callie_Aslan

Post by Callie_Aslan »

1. PDF
2. Android phone
3. Yes I have.
4. I can usually click on the notification at the top and it will open
5. When trying to view the file
6. No
7. Nook and kindle
gali

Post by gali »

Callie_Aslan wrote: 25 Feb 2020, 20:24 1. PDF
2. Android phone
3. Yes I have.
4. I can usually click on the notification at the top and it will open
5. When trying to view the file
6. No
7. Nook and kindle
You need to convert it to Mobi to read it on kindle.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Sushmita_srivastava

Post by Sushmita_srivastava »

1) eupb
2) android phone
3) yes
4) Nook app is not available in my country.
gali

Post by gali »

Sushmita_srivastava wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 14:35 1) eupb
2) android phone
3) yes
4) Nook app is not available in my country.
You can try to convert it to pdf via the free Calibre App or get the Kindle App. If neither works, you will need to quit the book via your Update tab.
A retired Admin/Mod

LizzyGirl1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizzygirl1.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Reading Device: B0773JVW5Z

Post by LizzyGirl1 »

Hi Scott
I tried downloading and opening Book 5 of the Magi Charter - The Elf Legacy about 5 times since last week and have been trying various ways but none work. Answers are as follows:
1. In what file format is the ebook (e.g. epub, mobi, PDF, etc.)? epub

2. What device are using to try to open it? pc

3. Have you ever successfully opened a file in that format on that device before? yes

4. If your answer to question 3 is "yes", please describe the steps you usually take to successfully open a file in that format on your device. If your answer to question 3 is "no" then please describe what steps you did try to open the file.
Right click on the document and click 'open with'.

5. When following the usual process you use to open that kind of file on your device, or the "Top Tips" listed at the beginning of this post, at what step does it uniquely go wrong with this file? In other words, on which step, of the steps you listed as your response to question #4, do you run into trouble with this file but not other files of the same file type?'
It does not open in the kindle for pc app or Epub3 Reader or adobe acrobat reader. It opens in the Nook app but the page numbers are not accurate - the pages breaks are different from the actual book and some page numbers do not even show up - eg the page number skips from 4 to 6. There is no other reference points that I can use to list errors etc.

6. Do you get an error message? If so, what is the exact wording of the error message? Adobe error message: document not a supported file type or document has been damaged.

7. Did you read and try the "Top Tips" listed at the beginning of this post? If not, please do that before replying. Please name which apps your tried from the suggested apps.
Yes - Kindle for PC, Epub3 Reader, Nook. Even Adobe Acrobat Reader.
It has been extremely frustrating trying over and over and then receiving emails requesting updates.
Can the book be made available in Pdf form?
gali

Post by gali »

LizzyGirl1 wrote: 28 Feb 2020, 23:20 Hi Scott
I tried downloading and opening Book 5 of the Magi Charter - The Elf Legacy about 5 times since last week and have been trying various ways but none work. Answers are as follows:
1. In what file format is the ebook (e.g. epub, mobi, PDF, etc.)? epub

2. What device are using to try to open it? pc

3. Have you ever successfully opened a file in that format on that device before? yes

4. If your answer to question 3 is "yes", please describe the steps you usually take to successfully open a file in that format on your device. If your answer to question 3 is "no" then please describe what steps you did try to open the file.
Right click on the document and click 'open with'.

5. When following the usual process you use to open that kind of file on your device, or the "Top Tips" listed at the beginning of this post, at what step does it uniquely go wrong with this file? In other words, on which step, of the steps you listed as your response to question #4, do you run into trouble with this file but not other files of the same file type?'
It does not open in the kindle for pc app or Epub3 Reader or adobe acrobat reader. It opens in the Nook app but the page numbers are not accurate - the pages breaks are different from the actual book and some page numbers do not even show up - eg the page number skips from 4 to 6. There is no other reference points that I can use to list errors etc.

6. Do you get an error message? If so, what is the exact wording of the error message? Adobe error message: document not a supported file type or document has been damaged.

7. Did you read and try the "Top Tips" listed at the beginning of this post? If not, please do that before replying. Please name which apps your tried from the suggested apps.
Yes - Kindle for PC, Epub3 Reader, Nook. Even Adobe Acrobat Reader.
It has been extremely frustrating trying over and over and then receiving emails requesting updates.
Can the book be made available in Pdf form?
You need to convert it to Mobi to read it on kindle.

Once chosen, the format can't be changed. It says so on your Review Team Page. You can try to convert it to Mobi or pdf via the free Calibre App. If it still doesn't open and the file is corrupted, you should report it via your Update tab.
A retired Admin/Mod

LizzyGirl1
Currently Reading:

Post by LizzyGirl1 »

Thanks gali for your quick response. I have a suggestion which I hope finds favour: Instead of reviewers and readers having to clutter their devices with so many pieces of software and having so many challenges with the various formats and conversions etc., it would be great if Online Book Club could ensure that books are made available in the least problematic of formats e.g. pdf, in addition to whatever format the author prefers.
LizzyGirl1
Currently Reading:

Post by LizzyGirl1 »

Gali - can you tell me why my second to last review The MISOGI Method is showing as my last when it should be Yesterday A Novel of Reincarnation?
gali

Post by gali »

LizzyGirl1 wrote: 29 Feb 2020, 00:16 Thanks gali for your quick response. I have a suggestion which I hope finds favour: Instead of reviewers and readers having to clutter their devices with so many pieces of software and having so many challenges with the various formats and conversions etc., it would be great if Online Book Club could ensure that books are made available in the least problematic of formats e.g. pdf, in addition to whatever format the author prefers.
There are many formats to give more choices to the reviewers. Anyway, not all prefer PDF, as it has its own issues.d. The site can make available only the formats submitted by the author, and it can't offer additional formats.
A retired Admin/Mod

gali

Post by gali »

LizzyGirl1 wrote: 29 Feb 2020, 00:17 Gali - can you tell me why my second to last review The MISOGI Method is showing as my last when it should be Yesterday A Novel of Reincarnation?
It shows only the published reviews. Your other review wasn't published yet.
A retired Admin/Mod

LizzyGirl1
Currently Reading:

Post by LizzyGirl1 »

OK got it. Thanks
Bermused

Post by Bermused »

1. epub

2. Desktop and iPhone

3. No, first time

4. I cannot download the software required to open the file (Nook is unavailable on both Microsoft and App Store) and Calibre is not compatible with my computer

5. I cannot download the software

6. No

7. Yes, I have tried both Nook and Calibre. I can get Kindle on my iPhone, but would need the book in mobi format to open it.
gali

Post by gali »

Bermused wrote: 05 Mar 2020, 10:08 1. epub

2. Desktop and iPhone

3. No, first time

4. I cannot download the software required to open the file (Nook is unavailable on both Microsoft and App Store) and Calibre is not compatible with my computer

5. I cannot download the software

6. No

7. Yes, I have tried both Nook and Calibre. I can get Kindle on my iPhone, but would need the book in mobi format to open it.
In that case, nothing you can do but quit the book via your Update tab.
A retired Admin/Mod

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”