Help opening ebook files (epub, mobi, PDF, etc.)

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
moni_lu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Re: Help opening ebook files (epub, mobi, PDF, etc.)

Post by moni_lu »

1.Epub
2.Andriod
3. No
4.After successfully downloading the file I tried opening it but it is says " no method to open ".
5.When opening it.
6. No method to open.
7.Yes I tried Barnes and Noble but it is not available in my country, I am from Africa.
Hansond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hansond.html
Latest Review: Love is the Answer, God is the Cure by Aimee Cabo Nikolov

Post by Hansond »

1. Pdf

2. iPhone with kindle app

3. Yes I have downloaded other pdf files but not pdf books.

4. Usually I click save as pdf and it appears on my google downloads list. When I usually download kindle books I start from the app. When I searched there, it found the book for purchase but did not find the downloaded free version for me to review.

5. When I click on download link I immediately get an error message. What kind of file manager do I need to use for it to copy the pdf into the kindle app?

6. Yes. “You cannot browse this page at forums.onlinebookclubs org because it is restricted.” I have checked my settings both on the phone and in the kindle app and do not show any restrictions on my end.

7. Yes I did. I use the kindle app freqently and it works fine on my phone. Just not sure what file manager I need to be able to download your content into my app.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Hansond wrote: 02 Jan 2019, 17:27 1. Pdf

2. iPhone with kindle app

3. Yes I have downloaded other pdf files but not pdf books.

4. Usually I click save as pdf and it appears on my google downloads list. When I usually download kindle books I start from the app. When I searched there, it found the book for purchase but did not find the downloaded free version for me to review.

5. When I click on download link I immediately get an error message. What kind of file manager do I need to use for it to copy the pdf into the kindle app?

6. Yes. “You cannot browse this page at forums.onlinebookclubs org because it is restricted.” I have checked my settings both on the phone and in the kindle app and do not show any restrictions on my end.

7. Yes I did. I use the kindle app freqently and it works fine on my phone. Just not sure what file manager I need to be able to download your content into my app.
Kindle app only reads mobi files.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
gali

Post by gali »

moni_lu wrote: 02 Jan 2019, 14:14 1.Epub
2.Andriod
3. No
4.After successfully downloading the file I tried opening it but it is says " no method to open ".
5.When opening it.
6. No method to open.
7.Yes I tried Barnes and Noble but it is not available in my country, I am from Africa.
If the App isn't available to you, you need to quit the book via your Update tab.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Crazywriter2

Post by Crazywriter2 »

1.pdf
2.I am using my iPhone
3.yes
4.i open the book in chrome browser then I click open with ebooks
5.when I try to open the book in ebooks
6.”can’t open “
7.yes
Amina Yusuf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amina-yusuf.html
Latest Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt
Reading Device: B07PQLY49F

Post by Amina Yusuf »

1.epub
2. Android Mobile phone
3. No
4. This is the first time I have downloaded such format on my phone
5. After downloading the file, I clicked on it and it refused to open
6. Error message is Can't open file
7. Yes
Pigwe603
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pigwe603.html
Latest Review: Happiness is All We Want! by Ashutosh Mishra

Post by Pigwe603 »

1. The file is in Trad format
2. I am using my PC
3. No, I have not
7. Yes, I did.
EveS523
Currently Reading: Two by Two
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eves523.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by EveS523 »

1. In what file format is the ebook (e.g. epub, mobi, PDF, etc.)?
MOBI
2. What device are using to try to open it?
I have tried Kindle on my phone, PC and Kindle Cloud Reader.
3. Have you ever successfully opened a file in that format on that device before?
No. Not in this format.
4. If your answer to question 3 is "yes", please describe the steps you usually take to successfully open a file in that format on your device. If your answer to question 3 is "no" then please describe what steps you did try to open the file.
NA
5. When following the usual process you use to open that kind of file on your device, or the "Top Tips" listed at the beginning of this post, at what step does it uniquely go wrong with this file? In other words, on which step, of the steps you listed as your response to question #4, do you run into trouble with this file but not other files of the same file type?
NA
6. Do you get an error message? If so, what is the exact wording of the error message?
No error message. It asks what app I want to use. Cannot locate Kindle. Tried using Word but it comes up as symbols, not text.
7. Did you read and try the "Top Tips" listed at the beginning of this post? If not, please do that before replying. Please name which apps your tried from the suggested apps.
Yes but am not finding a fix.
ScienceIsHot
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scienceishot.html
Latest Review: The Expansion by Christoph Martin

Post by ScienceIsHot »

1. In what file format is the ebook?
An epub.
2. What device are you using to try to open it?
My iPhone
3. Have you ever successfully opened a file in that format on that device before?
Yes, many times. I already have the B&N app and am a frequent user.
4. If your answer to question 3 is "yes", please describe the steps you usually take to successfully open a file in that format on your device.
Typically, downloading the book from B&N automatically adds the book to the apps library. On few other occasions, I have had to manually set the app to open the file type.
5. When following the usual process you use to open that kind of file on your device, or the "Top Tips" listed at the beginning of this post, at what step does it uniquely go wrong with this file?
My problem isn't with the file itself, it seems to happen on the OBC website. When I click on the link in my reviewer page that is supposed to send me to the download site, nothing happens. My reviewer page simply refreshes, and the link never takes me to the outside website.
6. Do you get an error message? If so, what is the exact wording of the error message?
No error message
7. Did you read and try the "Top Tips" listed at the beginning of this post?
I did. The top tips don't contain my problem. I've searched this forum and seen other posters that have my problem, but haven't noticed anyone replying with a definite solution.
Korexb

Post by Korexb »

1. epub
2. Phone
3. No
6. Corrupted file
moni_lu
Currently Reading:

Post by moni_lu »

1.epub
2.Andriod phone
3 .no
4.Downloadvand then open in documents.
5. It won't open.
6.Unable to perform this action.
7.yes I did
JnadineG
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jnadineg.html
Latest Review: Two Months and Three Days by Tatiana Vedenska

Post by JnadineG »

1) .mobi
2) Anroid tablet (Samsung)
3) no. I accidentally hit .mobi instead of .epub
4) I read the tips and downloaded the Kindle app. I tried to move the file to the app, but it simply states "cannot open file".
5) I have never had this problem before so I am unsure how to answer this question. I cannot open the file under the Kindle app.
6) "Can't open file"
7) Yes.
Jesslyn
Currently Reading:

Post by Jesslyn »

1.epub
2. iPhone
3. No
4. I try to download the books but it isn’t available in my country
5. Not available in my App Store
7. Free book app
gali

Post by gali »

Jesslyn wrote: 18 Jan 2019, 02:33 1.epub
2. iPhone
3. No
4. I try to download the books but it isn’t available in my country
5. Not available in my App Store
7. Free book app
If the App isn't available to you, you need to quit the book via the Update tab.
A retired Admin/Mod

Awesomewonder

Post by Awesomewonder »

[Good night
1.epub
2.Laptop
3. No
5. It will download but when completed i does not open. I tried downloading free online software to open the doc as my Adobe was not opening book, however the soft wares still was unable to not open the epub.
6.Adobe Acrobat Reader could not open 'Jorge P. Newbery - Debt Cleanse (2016). epub' because it is either not a support file type or because the file has been damaged (for example, it was sent as an email attachment and wasn't correctly decoded)
7. Not available in my app store

Is it possible to get the book in pdf, I am able to view that format. If not how to quit the book via update status

Thank you
[/quote]

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”