Help opening ebook files (epub, mobi, PDF, etc.)

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Re: Help opening ebook files (epub, mobi, PDF, etc.)

Post by gali »

lainipulliam wrote: 11 Jun 2020, 15:10 1.) epub
2.) windows 10
3.) no
4.) I downloaded the book and it wouldn't show me the book, just a blank screen
5.) I have never used this type of file before
6.) no
7.)I tried downloading all of the apps but it wouldn't let me download any of them

I downloaded the book 3 times and none of them worked. I used firefox to see them but now everytime I try to see the book it keeps putting up more and more tabs until I had 11 tabs open and I had to use ctrl alt delet to close it.
You need the App to open it. You can try to convert it to PDF. Otherwise, you need to quit the book via your Update tab.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Prince kaweh
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Prince kaweh »

1.The book is in epub format
2.I'm using a smart phone
6.yes,unable to open the file with epub
gali

Post by gali »

Prince kaweh wrote: 12 Jun 2020, 00:25 1.The book is in epub format
2.I'm using a smart phone
6.yes,unable to open the file with epub
You need the App to open it.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
CatherineRomero

Post by CatherineRomero »

1. PDF
2. Kindle for PC (also usually opens in a new window when I click it and it wouldn't open there either)
3. Yes
4. File > Import PDF...> Double-click PDF > Usually it then downloads and opens
5. After double-clicking to begin the download, it pops up an error.
6. "The book could not be opened. Please remove the book from your device and redownload it." (alternately, when I click to open it in a window, it says "Failed to load PDF document".)
7, epub reader
gali

Post by gali »

CatherineRomero wrote: 16 Jun 2020, 12:57 1. PDF
2. Kindle for PC (also usually opens in a new window when I click it and it wouldn't open there either)
3. Yes
4. File > Import PDF...> Double-click PDF > Usually it then downloads and opens
5. After double-clicking to begin the download, it pops up an error.
6. "The book could not be opened. Please remove the book from your device and redownload it." (alternately, when I click to open it in a window, it says "Failed to load PDF document".)
7, epub reader
If the issue is with the download, you should report it via your Update tab. Otherwise, you should either convert the file to Mobi (for the Kindle App) or to epub (for the epub reader). If it fails as well, you should report it via your Update tab.
A retired Admin/Mod

AnitaWigin

Post by AnitaWigin »

Go to android Mobile playstore and new version adobe reader download and install then opening ebook files easily.
cyriladavan
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyriladavan.html
Latest Review: Just Another Day by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by cyriladavan »

1. Epub

2. Android phone

3. This is my first time downloading in this format on my device.

4. After downloading the file, I headedto the Downloads section, I clicked it but it only said, "Unable to find application to perform this action".

5. Whenever I click the actual file in the Downloads folder.

6. "Unable to find application to perform this action".

7. The Nook App(for epub) is not available in my country yet. I have no access to a desktop device as of now so Calibre is also not an option.
gali

Post by gali »

cyriladavan wrote: 17 Jun 2020, 09:59 1. Epub

2. Android phone

4. After downloading the file, I headedto the Downloads section, I clicked it but it only said, "Unable to find application to perform this action".

7. The Nook App(for epub) is not available in my country yet. I have no access to a desktop device as of now so Calibre is also not an option.
You need the App to read the file. You can try to convert it to PDF. If it doesn't help, you will need to report it or quit the book via your Update tab.
A retired Admin/Mod

cyriladavan
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyriladavan.html
Latest Review: Just Another Day by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by cyriladavan »

gali wrote: 17 Jun 2020, 10:36

2. Android phone

You need the App to read the file. You can try to convert it to PDF. If it doesn't help, you will need to report it or quit the book via your Update tab.
I tried converting it to PDF but the layout became a bit confusing. Some lines were cut and I am not sure where the cut lines resumed. I also tried downloading an epub reader(ReadEra) aside from the suggested apps above from Playstore but the file was still confusing to read. There were page numbers but it was from the app and not directly printed on the exact file. I am not sure if these versions were similar to the intended format of the original file. I believe I will encounter problems once I answer the form that asks for typos on the file since I will not be able to provide the page numbers.
If I am going to quit the book, what steps should I take? Will it affect my reviewer score?
gali

Post by gali »

cyriladavan wrote: 17 Jun 2020, 11:06
gali wrote: 17 Jun 2020, 10:36

2. Android phone

I tried converting it to PDF but the layout became a bit confusing. Some lines were cut and I am not sure where the cut lines resumed. I also tried downloading an epub reader(ReadEra) aside from the suggested apps above from Playstore but the file was still confusing to read. There were page numbers but it was from the app and not directly printed on the exact file. I am not sure if these versions were similar to the intended format of the original file. I believe I will encounter problems once I answer the form that asks for typos on the file since I will not be able to provide the page numbers.
If I am going to quit the book, what steps should I take? Will it affect my reviewer score?
You should report it or quit the book via your Update tab. There is no penalty for a single unfinished review.
A retired Admin/Mod

Sunnybydesign
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunnybydesign.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sunnybydesign »

1. Epub
2. Android phone
3. No
4. I downloaded the file then tried opening in on my phone but it couldn't open. I tried to download the recommended app Nook by Barnes and Noble but it is not available in my country, I'm from Kenya.
5. Tried to open the file from my downloads, which is where I usually access my other files but my device can't open it. I tried to download the Nook app but it is not available in my country.
6. 'Can't open file'
7. I've read and tried applying the solutions suggested but to no avail. I have tried Nook app.
gali

Post by gali »

Sunnybydesign wrote: 18 Jun 2020, 06:10 1. Epub
2. Android phone
3. No
4. I downloaded the file then tried opening in on my phone but it couldn't open. I tried to download the recommended app Nook by Barnes and Noble but it is not available in my country, I'm from Kenya.
5. Tried to open the file from my downloads, which is where I usually access my other files but my device can't open it. I tried to download the Nook app but it is not available in my country.
6. 'Can't open file'
7. I've read and tried applying the solutions suggested but to no avail. I have tried Nook app.
In that case, nothing you can do except quit the book via your Update tab.
A retired Admin/Mod

ccoppola1474
Currently Reading: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccoppola1474.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by ccoppola1474 »

1. ePub
2. iPad
3. No
4. I hit the download button and nothing happened.
5. I have amazon kindle on my iPad I’m using to do this.
6. I’m getting no message at all.
Sassyreader5
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Santa's Smelly Socks!
Currently Reading: Bad Karma
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sassyreader5.html
Latest Review: Inside Incest by Madeline A.Garner

Post by Sassyreader5 »

1. My ebook is in epub format
2. I am using an android phone to download book.
3.Yes. I have downloaded other files before, and have not had any problems
4. To download I just clicked the link as usual,and then clicked the button to download book.
5. I was able to download book, but afterwards when I clicked link to open I received the error message.
6. The error message was "can't open file".
7.Yes. But, I do not have a nook or Amazon kindle app. So, can I just get another link to download a pdf file instead.
Thank You
Nekquai Baker
gali

Post by gali »

ccoppola1474 wrote: 20 Jun 2020, 13:25 1. ePub
2. iPad
3. No
4. I hit the download button and nothing happened.
5. I have amazon kindle on my iPad I’m using to do this.
6. I’m getting no message at all.
You can not download EPUB to the kindle. It is the wrong format for it. You need to download it to your PC, convert it to Mobi, and then move it to your device.
A retired Admin/Mod

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”