Help opening ebook files (epub, mobi, PDF, etc.)

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Re: Help opening ebook files (epub, mobi, PDF, etc.)

Post by gali »

ananya_rukku wrote: 31 Mar 2020, 09:04 1. PDF
2. Computer
3. Yes I have opened PDF's consistently on this device, however, this is the first review I am performing.
4. I usually just have to open the downloaded file. All that shows is the book cover, nothing else. I even downloaded the Kindle App.
5. I run into trouble with this PDF only not others. Like I said above, there is only 1 page in the entire download and that is the cover page.
6. No
7. Yes, I tried the Kindle App
You should report it via your Update tab.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Faria Sherazi
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Faria Sherazi »

1. Epub format
2. Android device
3. No
I tried downloading Nook app from Google play store; and it was not available in my country.
gali

Post by gali »

Faria Sherazi wrote: 31 Mar 2020, 15:23 1. Epub format
2. Android device
3. No
I tried downloading Nook app from Google play store; and it was not available in my country.
You can try to convert the file to PDF or to Mobi (if you have the Kindle App) via the free Calibre App. If it doesn't work either, you will need to quit the book via your Update tab.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Muhozi
Currently Reading:

Post by Muhozi »

1. Mobi
2. Android phone
3. No
6. Can't open
Is their a possibility of getting pdf formant
gali

Post by gali »

Muhozi wrote: 01 Apr 2020, 00:05 1. Mobi
2. Android phone
3. No
6. Can't open
Is their a possibility of getting pdf formant
You need the Kindle App to read the book.

Once chosen, the format can't be changed. You can try to convert it via the free Calibre App.
A retired Admin/Mod

Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

I have downloaded The Date Farm but it shows only page 1 of 1 which is the cover of the book.
gali

Post by gali »

Rosemary Okoko wrote: 01 Apr 2020, 07:17 I have downloaded The Date Farm but it shows only page 1 of 1 which is the cover of the book.
You should report it via your Update tab, NOT here.
A retired Admin/Mod

Breeann26

Post by Breeann26 »

I am unable to download my book:
1. In what file format is the ebook (e.g. epub, mobi, PDF, etc.)?

ePub

2. What device are using to try to open it?

Iphone

3. Have you ever successfully opened a file in that format on that device before?

No, have not tried before

4. If your answer to question 3 is "yes", please describe the steps you usually take to successfully open a file in that format on your device. If your answer to question 3 is "no" then please describe what steps you did try to open the file.

I downloaded the nook app by Baden’s and noble, created a barns and noble account, but when I try to log in from the app on my phone, it does not recognize the new account I just set up.

5. When following the usual process you use to open that kind of file on your device, or the "Top Tips" listed at the beginning of this post, at what step does it uniquely go wrong with this file? In other words, on which step, of the steps you listed as your response to question #4, do you run into trouble with this file but not other files of the same file type?

At the point of logging into the app. It does not recognize my new Barnes and Nobel account credentials

6. Do you get an error message? If so, what is the exact wording of the error message?

Yes, it says my email address and password are incorrect - but I’ve checked and re-checked and I’m putting in the proper information.

7. Did you read and try the "Top Tips" listed at the beginning of this post? If not, please do that before replying. Please name which apps your tried from the suggested apps.

Yes
Boot001
Currently Reading:

Post by Boot001 »

1. In what file format is the ebook (e.g. epub, mobi, PDF, etc.)? .epub

2. What device are using to try to open it? Samsung Galaxy 4 Android

3. Have you ever successfully opened a file in that format on that device before? not sure

4. If your answer to question 3 is "yes", please describe the steps you usually take to successfully open a file in that format on your device. If your answer to question 3 is "no" then please describe what steps you did try to open the file.

5. When following the usual process you use to open that kind of file on your device, or the "Top Tips" listed at the beginning of this post, at what step does it uniquely go wrong with this file? In other words, on which step, of the steps you listed as your response to question #4, do you run into trouble with this file but not other files of the same file type? I use Amazon Kindle app

6. Do you get an error message? If so, what is the exact wording of the error message? No

7. Did you read and try the "Top Tips" listed at the beginning of this post? If not, please do that before replying. Please name which apps your tried from the suggested apps. Yes, but they don't help
Amina Yusuf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amina-yusuf.html
Latest Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt
Reading Device: B07PQLY49F

Post by Amina Yusuf »

1. PDF
2. Android phone
3. Yes
4. I normally click on the link to download the selected book in a PDF format. I have downloaded several books on the Online bookclub site and this is the first time I am having this problem.
5. After clicking on the link to download the file, it will show download unsuccessful
6. The error message is download unsuccessful. 7. Yes. I have tried several times to download but it keeps showing the same message "download unsuccessful
gali

Post by gali »

Breeann26 wrote: 08 Apr 2020, 12:38 I am unable to download my book:
1. In what file format is the ebook (e.g. epub, mobi, PDF, etc.)?

ePub

2. What device are using to try to open it?

Iphone

3. Have you ever successfully opened a file in that format on that device before?

No, have not tried before

I downloaded the nook app by Baden’s and noble, created a barns and noble account, but when I try to log in from the app on my phone, it does not recognize the new account I just set up.

5. When following the usual process you use to open that kind of file on your device, or the "Top Tips" listed at the beginning of this post, at what step does it uniquely go wrong with this file? In other words, on which step, of the steps you listed as your response to question #4, do you run into trouble with this file but not other files of the same file type?

At the point of logging into the app. It does not recognize my new Barnes and Nobel account credentials

6. Do you get an error message? If so, what is the exact wording of the error message?

Yes, it says my email address and password are incorrect - but I’ve checked and re-checked and I’m putting in the proper information.

7. Did you read and try the "Top Tips" listed at the beginning of this post? If not, please do that before replying. Please name which apps your tried from the suggested apps.

Yes

If the issue is with your Barnes and Nobel account, you should contact them about it.

You can try to convert it to MOBI and read it on the Kindle App.
A retired Admin/Mod

gali

Post by gali »

Boot001 wrote: 08 Apr 2020, 14:20 1. In what file format is the ebook (e.g. epub, mobi, PDF, etc.)? .epub

2. What device are using to try to open it? Samsung Galaxy 4 Android

3. Have you ever successfully opened a file in that format on that device before? not sure

5. When following the usual process you use to open that kind of file on your device, or the "Top Tips" listed at the beginning of this post, at what step does it uniquely go wrong with this file? In other words, on which step, of the steps you listed as your response to question #4, do you run into trouble with this file but not other files of the same file type? I use Amazon Kindle app

6. Do you get an error message? If so, what is the exact wording of the error message? No

7. Did you read and try the "Top Tips" listed at the beginning of this post? If not, please do that before replying. Please name which apps your tried from the suggested apps. Yes, but they don't help
You can't read this format on Kindle and need to convert it to Mobi.
A retired Admin/Mod

gali

Post by gali »

Amina Yusuf wrote: 08 Apr 2020, 15:28 1. PDF
2. Android phone
3. Yes
4. I normally click on the link to download the selected book in a PDF format. I have downloaded several books on the Online bookclub site and this is the first time I am having this problem.
5. After clicking on the link to download the file, it will show download unsuccessful
6. The error message is download unsuccessful. 7. Yes. I have tried several times to download but it keeps showing the same message "download unsuccessful
You should report it via your Update tab.
A retired Admin/Mod

Onwueme john
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onwueme-john.html
Latest Review: UNUM: Infinity and Eternity by Rudy Ernst

Post by Onwueme john »

1. PDF
2. Andriod phone
3.yes
4. Log into WPS
search for the PDF file
Click on it.
And it Opens.
5. It went wrong when I clicked on the file to open.
6."file may be corrupt and could not open".
7. Nook is not available in my Country.
Couldn't find Kindle on play store.
gali

Post by gali »

johnnydab wrote: 09 Apr 2020, 06:20 1. PDF
2. Andriod phone
3.yes
4. Log into WPS
search for the PDF file
Click on it.
And it Opens.
5. It went wrong when I clicked on the file to open.
6."file may be corrupt and could not open".
7. Nook is not available in my Country.
Couldn't find Kindle on play store.
If the file is corrupt, you should report it via your Update tab.
A retired Admin/Mod

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”