Help opening ebook files (epub, mobi, PDF, etc.)

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Teeolulope
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Help opening ebook files (epub, mobi, PDF, etc.)

Post by Teeolulope »

I can't download the book I want , it keeps taking me to kindle format on Amazon and I tried downloading the Kindle app but it's not available for my Country'Nigeria' on playstore...Ps.I am using a Samsung phone.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Teeolulope wrote: 04 Apr 2019, 06:23 I can't download the book I want , it keeps taking me to kindle format on Amazon and I tried downloading the Kindle app but it's not available for my Country'Nigeria' on playstore...Ps.I am using a Samsung phone.
In that case, you need to quit the book via your Update tab.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
FariDa Arif
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-farida-arif.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by FariDa Arif »

Mobi
Kindle for Android
No
Can't open the file
coffee_with_lacey

Post by coffee_with_lacey »

1. PDF
2. Kindle (on iPad)
3. I have successfully downloaded PDFs and open in Kindle before
4. It is saying that the PDF is not compatible with the Kindle. Is it because I need KU?
5. The step that is giving me the problem is it will not download at all to Kindle
6. Yes. The error message is “not compatible with Kindle”
7. Yes
gali

Post by gali »

coffee_with_lacey wrote: 07 Apr 2019, 21:16 1. PDF
2. Kindle (on iPad)
3. I have successfully downloaded PDFs and open in Kindle before
4. It is saying that the PDF is not compatible with the Kindle. Is it because I need KU?
5. The step that is giving me the problem is it will not download at all to Kindle
6. Yes. The error message is “not compatible with Kindle”
7. Yes
Kindle read mobi only, so you need to convert the file to mobi. You can do that via the free Calibre App.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
gali

Post by gali »

FariDa Arif wrote: 07 Apr 2019, 05:04 Mobi
Kindle for Android
No
Can't open the file
If you have the Kindle App and can't open it, you should submit an error report about it via your Update tab.
A retired Admin/Mod

Ellris

Post by Ellris »

1.epub
2.i'm using my pc.
4.the answer's still no.
5.still the same as question 3.

7.yes
gali

Post by gali »

Ellris wrote: 11 Apr 2019, 10:38 1.epub
2.i'm using my pc.
4.the answer's still no.
5.still the same as question 3.

7.yes
You need an App to open it. Another option is to convert the file to PDF via the free Calibre App.
A retired Admin/Mod

Emjopin
Favorite Author: E.W. Johnson M.D.
Favorite Book: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Currently Reading: Lost Secret of the Ancient Ones
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emjopin.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight
fav_author_id: 196577

Post by Emjopin »

1. In what file format is the ebook (e.g. epub, mobi, PDF, etc.)?
epub
2. What device are using to try to open it?
netbook windows 10
3. Have you ever successfully opened a file in that format on that device before?
No.
4. If your answer to question 3 is "yes", please describe the steps you usually take to successfully open a file in that format on your device. If your answer to question 3 is "no" then please describe what steps you did try to open the file.
n/a
5. When following the usual process you use to open that kind of file on your device, or the "Top Tips" listed at the beginning of this post, at what step does it uniquely go wrong with this file? In other words, on which step, of the steps you listed as your response to question #4, do you run into trouble with this file but not other files of the same file type?
I tried downloading calibre instead of epub that flashed a warning " not safe...may alter data"
6. Do you get an error message? If so, what is the exact wording of the error message?
not safe...may alter data"
7. Did you read and try the "Top Tips" listed at the beginning of this post? If not, please do that before replying. Please name which apps your tried from the suggested apps.
May I read the epub file on calibre or may you refresh bec. I've seen a downloadable pdf.
Thank you.
gali

Post by gali »

Emjopin wrote: 14 Apr 2019, 22:41 1. In what file format is the ebook (e.g. epub, mobi, PDF, etc.)?
epub
2. What device are using to try to open it?
netbook windows 10
3. Have you ever successfully opened a file in that format on that device before?
No.
4. If your answer to question 3 is "yes", please describe the steps you usually take to successfully open a file in that format on your device. If your answer to question 3 is "no" then please describe what steps you did try to open the file.
n/a
5. When following the usual process you use to open that kind of file on your device, or the "Top Tips" listed at the beginning of this post, at what step does it uniquely go wrong with this file? In other words, on which step, of the steps you listed as your response to question #4, do you run into trouble with this file but not other files of the same file type?
I tried downloading calibre instead of epub that flashed a warning " not safe...may alter data"
6. Do you get an error message? If so, what is the exact wording of the error message?
not safe...may alter data"
7. Did you read and try the "Top Tips" listed at the beginning of this post? If not, please do that before replying. Please name which apps your tried from the suggested apps.
May I read the epub file on calibre or may you refresh bec. I've seen a downloadable pdf.
Thank you.
I use the free Calibre App and have no issues with it or my PC. You don't read the file on Calibre, just convert it to the format you want.

Once chosen, the format can't be changed. If you don't want to use Calibre App to convert the file, you will have to quit the book.
A retired Admin/Mod

Sammy11

Post by Sammy11 »

1. mobi

2. Android mobile

3. I don't think so

4. If your answer to question 3 is "no" then please describe what steps you did try to open the file. I clicked 'download' on the website on my mobile device. I was then informed that I needed to install an app to enable opening (I had thought I already had one), so I installed eReader Prestigio, but then had trouble getting the downloaded file to open through it.

5. I attempted to open the file via the recently installed eReader Prestigio app to no avail. I then managaed to delete the downloaded file from my phone, and I can't seem to find a was to try again.

6. No

7. Yes. I have installed eReader Prestigio
gali

Post by gali »

Sammy11 wrote: 21 Apr 2019, 10:52 1. mobi

2. Android mobile

3. I don't think so

4. If your answer to question 3 is "no" then please describe what steps you did try to open the file. I clicked 'download' on the website on my mobile device. I was then informed that I needed to install an app to enable opening (I had thought I already had one), so I installed eReader Prestigio, but then had trouble getting the downloaded file to open through it.

5. I attempted to open the file via the recently installed eReader Prestigio app to no avail. I then managaed to delete the downloaded file from my phone, and I can't seem to find a was to try again.

6. No

7. Yes. I have installed eReader Prestigio
You need the Kindle App for mobi files. If you need another copy, you should ask for one via your Update tab.
A retired Admin/Mod

Emily_Ann13
Currently Reading:

Post by Emily_Ann13 »

1. kindle unlimited

2. MacBook

3. yes, however, my issue was with downloading in the first place not reading it.

4. I usually go to Amazon and press download kindle unlimited book and it delivers it to my mobile app.

5. This time, though, the issue was that the book, Nanomorphogus, was not listed online as a kindle unlimited book and now that I have already submitted to you that I was using kindle unlimited that is the only way I can download it, but it's not a kindle unlimited book, so it would cost me money to download.

6. No

7. Yes, I did. But they do not cover this issue.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Emily_Ann13 wrote: 23 Apr 2019, 17:30 1. kindle unlimited

2. MacBook

3. yes, however, my issue was with downloading in the first place not reading it.

4. I usually go to Amazon and press download kindle unlimited book and it delivers it to my mobile app.

5. This time, though, the issue was that the book, Nanomorphogus, was not listed online as a kindle unlimited book and now that I have already submitted to you that I was using kindle unlimited that is the only way I can download it, but it's not a kindle unlimited book, so it would cost me money to download.

6. No

7. Yes, I did. But they do not cover this issue.
You need to submit an error report via your Review Team page explaining that it isn't available through KU. :tiphat:

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Adri14
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adri14.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by Adri14 »

1 file is compatible with kindle only
2 phone
3 no
4 I was unable to open file as my device isn't compatible with kindle. No other file option were displayed.
5 I could not attempt to open the file because I cannot use kindle.
6 No error message was displayed.
7 yes

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”