Should ebooks be free or at least much cheaper?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
1ditzyrn
Favorite Book: Desire
Currently Reading: Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1ditzyrn.html
Latest Review: Genesis (The Infinity Series, Vol.2) by Bellamy Westbay
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Should ebooks be free or at least much cheaper?

Post by 1ditzyrn »

I don't mind paying for an e-book, but I feel that the price should reflect the fact that I am not buying a paperback. A book I wanted to read on my Kindle the other day was 10.99, which was around the same price as ordering a new hard copy. I think that there should be an advantage to buying the book without the printing costs included.
HailKingEbi
Currently Reading: The Notebook
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hailkingebi.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by HailKingEbi »

Ebooks shouldn't be free but at least reasonable prices. At the end of the day its the intellectual property of authors and they deserve renumeration, no matter how little.
We're all puppets, Laurie. I'm just a puppet who can see the strings - Doctor Manhattan.
jellybean85
Currently Reading: It's Hard to Be a Vampire
Bookshelf Size: 416
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jellybean85.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by jellybean85 »

The most I would pay for an ebook is $3.99. Anything higher than I can forget about buying the ebook. I’ve seen some publishers that charge $10 for ebooks, when you can get a paperback for the same amount of money.
Louanne Piccolo
Currently Reading: A Judegement in Stone
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-louanne-piccolo.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Louanne Piccolo »

A lot of them are cheaper by definition, but free is impossible. Unless the author is scheduling a giveaway, he/she needs to be paid for the work of writing it.
It's likely I will die next to a pile of things I was meaning to read - Lemony Snicket
Kister Bless
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kister-bless.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Kister Bless »

My own opinion is that e-books shouldn't be free. The authors need to earn a living and be paid for their work. So the e-books shouldn't be completely free. It would be fair if they will be issued at a cheaper price at least. That's the least readers can do to appreciate the good work of the authors, getting the e-books at a small price.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin.
dyamondg
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by dyamondg »

I'm pretty sure a lot of hard work goes into writing books, therefore, they shouldn't be free but the books shouldn't be expensive either.
violetshamrocks
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by violetshamrocks »

I believe the authors should be paid for their work, so free e-books aren't the answer. I've shared the tip with many people (as someone else has above) that libraries often allow you to check out e-books, so you don't have the pay the fee to purchase them. Otherwise, if you want to retain your own copy, it should be for a lower amount than the hardcover or softcover book.
paigegreenpurba
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paigegreenpurba.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by paigegreenpurba »

I don't believe they should be free, since digital content is still there intellectual property of the author and publisher and therefore has some value, but I wholeheartedly agree that they should be much cheaper. I do not understand buying an eBook for $10 when the paperback is the same price it sometimes even cheaper.
Shanza_basheer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shanza-basheer.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Shanza_basheer »

Oh yes, It would be a lot easier for me to buy the book if it was cheaper, or even better free.
But from the author's point of view I disagree, If the books written by him/her were to be given free, and not given much importance all his/her handwork is in vain.I am sure all authors will dream of her book being the bestsellers of the year, not the ones given free!
lisalynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalynn.html
Latest Review: Sex on every Paige by Graham Spaid

Post by lisalynn »

The author does the same amount of work producing an eBook or paperback. The printing and distribution costs for a physical book are a large portion of the amount charged on Amazon. That's why there's so much difference in the price.
colorsparkle
Currently Reading: Becoming
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-colorsparkle.html
Latest Review: The Land of Sunshine and Hell by Maxene Raices

Post by colorsparkle »

Definitely very cheap! No need to pay all that for something just sent at zero cost to a publisher or author!
Chikari
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chikari.html
Latest Review: The Talking Baobab Tree by Nelda LaTeef
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by Chikari »

I mean, most ebooks that I've bought are much cheaper than their hardback or paperback counterparts.... The author still deserves money for their hard work.
**Always happy to go on a new adventure!**
Mai Tran
Currently Reading: What's Your Favorite Color?
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mai-tran.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Mai Tran »

I wouldn't want to derive authors of some returns on their work, but I think ebooks should be free to people who already own a physical copy of the same books.
Mai Tran
Currently Reading: What's Your Favorite Color?
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mai-tran.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Mai Tran »

1ditzyrn wrote: 26 Sep 2018, 13:27 I don't mind paying for an e-book, but I feel that the price should reflect the fact that I am not buying a paperback. A book I wanted to read on my Kindle the other day was 10.99, which was around the same price as ordering a new hard copy. I think that there should be an advantage to buying the book without the printing costs included.
I agree. It doesn't make sense to me when they are about the same price. That's why I choose to buy used paperbacks with minimal markings sometimes because it would be cheaper than the digital copys.
Tiffanyli
Currently Reading: Quiet
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tiffanyli.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Tiffanyli »

I don't think that the books should be free but they definitely should be a lot cheaper than physical copies. The authors still deserve to get paid for their work but they should reduce the price since the production costs of the book are reduced as well.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”