Page Numbers on Kindle?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
lisalynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalynn.html
Latest Review: Sex on every Paige by Graham Spaid

Re: Page Numbers on Kindle?

Post by lisalynn »

We just have to retrain ourselves to note locations instead of page numbers to return to a particular passage.
srividyag1
Currently Reading: The laws of human nature
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srividyag1.html
Latest Review: The Hungry Heart by Brenda Gayle
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by srividyag1 »

The explanation of "locations" was wonderful. I think we are scared of the unknown, hence we need to have page numbers. If we don't see page numbers, we are not quite sure how far along we are or how much we have accomplished and how far we still have to go. So, we have the abstract sense of a blob rather than the concrete structure of a book. This might probably be the reason why I prefer page numbers and I feel very satisfied when my ebook has page numbers, rather than when there are only locations. It might just be my quirk, though :D
- Srividya Giri
Smile more, it's infectious.
BarryEM
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by BarryEM »

This is a problem that the Android app Moon+ reader has solved best, I think. Instead of trying to ignore the fact that the amount on a screen changes when you change the font or line spacing it uses that. At the bottom of each page it has (n/nn) where n is the number of screens into the chapter and nn is the number of screens in the whole chapter. Then to the right is the percentage through the book.

By using this you get a good feeling for where you are in a chapter and how many screenfulls you have left. I think you can get a reading for the book as a whole or by chapter but I use chapter so this is what I'm used to.

This isn't some abstract number. It's where you are now with this device and this font and this spacing and these margins. I wish Kindle would adopt something like this.

Barry
YL_Eytka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yl-eytka.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by YL_Eytka »

I loathe the 'location' system so much, I do understand how it can be useful, but man the numbers going from a 71 to a 77 really grates on me.
DeniG11
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-denig11.html
Latest Review: Rasputin's Nephew by Marc J. Seifer

Post by DeniG11 »

I agree - I really do wish that there were always page numbers - perhaps they could do this in addition or as an option to location #s?
readsbyarun
Favorite Book: Wilderness Cry
Currently Reading: Spirituality in the 21st Century
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readsbyarun.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by readsbyarun »

There is no standard way to measure the pages in these readers as we have a chosce of selecting how big the text should appear and how many words we need on a screen at any point of time. we can't rely on the page numbers but the location provides somewhat good references to track the progress.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”