What is your favorite reading app on smartphone ?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
DancingSouls
Currently Reading: The Cult Next Door
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancingsouls.html

Re: What is your favorite reading app on smartphone ?

Post by DancingSouls »

I haven't tried many e-readers on my phone. I do like the kindle app that I did download on my phone. I also have a manga app called manga Bird that is the best option for manga that I have tried. I'm interested in checking other apps out, but nearly all of my e-reader books are on my kindle app and kindle.
heshma_m
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heshma-m.html

Post by heshma_m »

I usually prefer physical book but if I have to read the ebook then I like Aldiko reader for epub books and Kindle app for Kindle books.
Randomgold
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randomgold.html
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by Randomgold »

Like many others here, I use the Kindle app on my phone. Since I don't have an actual Kindle, it does the job perfectly. But I do find it doesn't work for everything. I'm not sure how to get .mobi files onto it, so I often look to PDFs for downloading books for various reasons. Since the Kindle app is sketchy at best for that file type, I find my phone's word processor is great. There are a few formatting issues that pop up from time to time, but it gets the job done. So yeah, Kindle for most of them, but word processor when I need to.
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
BarryEM
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by BarryEM »

Randomgold wrote:Like many others here, I use the Kindle app on my phone. Since I don't have an actual Kindle, it does the job perfectly. But I do find it doesn't work for everything. I'm not sure how to get .mobi files onto it, so I often look to PDFs for downloading books for various reasons. Since the Kindle app is sketchy at best for that file type, I find my phone's word processor is great. There are a few formatting issues that pop up from time to time, but it gets the job done. So yeah, Kindle for most of them, but word processor when I need to.
If you want to get a mobi file into the Kindle app and you have an Amazon account look in the Manage Your Content and Devices page on Amazon to get the email address of your app. There's an email address associated with every Kindle device and app you have. Simply send the mobi file to that email address as an attachment, wait a few minutes for Amazon to send it and then sync your Kindle app. There it is.

Barry
rodidas
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodidas.html

Post by rodidas »

The kindle app actually does really well on my smartphone and I can access all of the same titles that are on my computer and e-reader. Therefore, if I leave off reading on my computer and pick back up during a commute or during downtime when I'm out and about, I can start reading in the same place I left.
Bazaldua
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Bazaldua »

I use Moon reader. Its the first reading app I've used on my phone, so I don't have anything to compare it to except the nook reader on my computer, which blows.

The app is more versatile and customizable. I'm pretty low maintenance when it comes to features - but I really liked the day-night transition, and appreciate the forced timeout the app gives you when you've been on too long. I get a lot of free books however, and have to make transfers manually between my phone and computer. I'm not sure if there's a PC application that would make it easier to sync files, but I probably wouldn't use it anyway. It is a great resource for free books itself, and even syncs to other resources you find on the web (like your library).

I'm thinking of trying out nook or kobo, depending on whichever bears a lighter load on my smartphone (data usage, ads, space). But right now I'm happy with what I have.
BarryEM

Post by BarryEM »

You can use a free Dropbox account and then upload your books to Dropbox. Moon+ will get books from Dropbox so you'll always have them available. You can also use Dropbox to sync your reading position if you're using more than one device.

You don't really need a PC application to do any of that although you can do it with Calibre if you like. I have Calibre but I do it through Dropbox because it's so much easier.

I also have the Kindle app on my phone but I haven't used it enough to have any idea how much data it uses. Moon+ uses very little. I convert my Kindle books to epub with Calibre and read them in Moon+.

I also have a Kindle Voyage I use at home but away from the house I use my phone.

Barry
bigdaddysc
Favorite Author: John Corwin
Currently Reading: Dearest Mother of Mine
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigdaddysc.html
Reading Device: B018YHO3B2
fav_author_id: 4037

Post by bigdaddysc »

I use FullReader+ on my tablet and like it. I have tried Moon+ and forget why I stopped using it. I think I found the FullReader+ one day and just downloaded it.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I guess that I don't see a reason to use anything other than Kindle, Nook, or the Google Play book reader. Those are the only places that I buy my books from (or get free books), so those are the only ones I use. I think I like Kindle the best of those, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Tina R

Post by Tina R »

I have a First Gen Kindle Fire., but on my phone I have the Kindle app and Aldiko. I use the Aldiko app the most because it is easy to use and I like how seamlessly it works with dropbox.
noethe5
Currently Reading: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noethe5.html
Latest Review: The Devil's template by Philip Omoniyi Adetiloye

Post by noethe5 »

I love my Kindle app. because I can shift between my smartphone and my iPad and the app link to my account will keep with me on the right page no matter the device I grab. It is easy to use, easy to adjust preferences, and easy to "mark up" the passages that I love.
Sherb21
Currently Reading: Owned By A Hitman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sherb21.html

Post by Sherb21 »

I personally like Kindle! I have tried Nook, but they have changed the way you download the books and it is a pain and time consuming to download the book. Where Kindle I login and download what I want and it goes both to my iPhone and my Kindle.?
Caleena3
Currently Reading: A Court of Thorns and Roses
Bookshelf Size: 158

Post by Caleena3 »

so far its a toss up between Kobo app and adobr reader. My kobo arc was nice till it shattered.
EmperorOfBooks
Currently Reading: the wicked will rise
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emperorofbooks.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by EmperorOfBooks »

Probably the axis 360 aop. It is compatible with my library so I have access to hundreds of books thorugh that. Another thing that's a plus, is that fact that its very easy to use.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Schullerk
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-schullerk.html

Post by Schullerk »

This was a great discussion, very helpful going to check out these apps ;-)

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”