Saving you money?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Pizzle_183
Bookshelf Size: 0

Saving you money?

Post by Pizzle_183 »

Do you feel like e-reader really save you money?
Explain your thoughts please.
CCtheBrave
Favorite Author: Jorge Luis Borges
Currently Reading: Under Wildwood
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccthebrave.html
Latest Review: "Wild Ozark Nature Journal" by Madison Woods
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2819

Post by CCtheBrave »

Nope! I honestly don't. I know that quite a few ebooks are a couple of bucks cheaper than physical books, but I honestly end up spending more $$ on ebook singles than I would have if I had just bought one, thick hardback book!
read well and write bravely
Latest Review: "Wild Ozark Nature Journal" by Madison Woods
Ljsoso

Post by Ljsoso »

I think that it can save you money if you have self control. Unfortunately I do not. I find that the ease of buying a lot of books and quickly from the ereader store makes me spend more money than if I had to go to the actual bookstore. So our doesn't actually save me money, but it does save me time.
ReadDear

Post by ReadDear »

I save my money and time. I read many free books that do not exist on paper...
"There are many little ways to enlarge your child's world. Love of books is the best of all." – Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

I definitely do feel like ebooks save me money. Not only are the books cheaper than the physical books but I also don't have to worry about shipping costs if I'm buying the books online or driving to a store to buy them. I have been downloading a lot of free books lately too so that's another plus for me.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
Freida Livery
Bookshelf Size: 2897
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Freida Livery »

Amazon's Buy With 1-Click button is pure evil. Makes it too easy for me to go over my book budget. That's a big NO..ereaders do no save me money. :wink2:
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular restaurant filled with odd little waiters who bring you things you never asked for and don't always like."
— Lemony Snicket
Miche11e_is_reading

Post by Miche11e_is_reading »

Yes I save. I only buy books after careful consideration because there are more than enough free books available.
terrilyn_2000
Currently Reading: Getting Unstuck
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-terrilyn-2000.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by terrilyn_2000 »

Actually saving me money and I am actually finding free kindle books that I normally never would have read. I get to read more and cheaper!
Booky_BettyC
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 55482">Hex Hall</a>
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booky-bettyc.html
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel

Post by Booky_BettyC »

In a way it does save money because an ebook is cheaper than the real thing. On the other hand, I find buying ebooks more addicting. Also it's a lot more convenient to sit on my comfy couch and splurge on books!
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
Mad Dub
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2961">The Book Thief</a>
Currently Reading: The Lovely Bones
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mad-dub.html

Post by Mad Dub »

I suppose it depends on the person. I personally saved a lot of money by switching to ebooks due to writing sites I found that allow writers and readers to log on and look around for free at the stories there, and the cheaper rates of the ebooks on Amazon and iTunes alike. On the other hand, if you wanted physical books you could always stop by a library or a secondhand bookstore, though that would most definitely take up more of your time and gas (if, that is, you drove yourself there).
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

I've definitely saved money! I used to spend $30-40 every time I went to the bookstore without blinking an eye, but now I'm reluctant to even spend $15 or more because I know that I could probably find the same thing (or something just as enjoyable!) for less or even for free. Needless to say I don't go to actual bookstores much anymore.
Lerice
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lerice.html

Post by Lerice »

I really don't think it's saved me any money. I love being able to read a paper book.
ellehiltunen
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellehiltunen.html

Post by ellehiltunen »

I honestly don't think so! In my opinion nothing is better then holding a good old thick book instead of a screen.
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 169
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: NOAH by Naazir Aram Musa

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

It does for me because I use it to get a lot of free books. You generally can't go get a free paperback book, but there are a ton of free books For the Nook and other e-readers. I also watch for sales. A lot of times the books will go on sale for 99 cents or a couple dollars. However, if you are wanting specific, popular books, it won't save you that much money.
bookreviewer2016
Currently Reading: The Silent Corner
Bookshelf Size: 2910
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviewer2016.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by bookreviewer2016 »

My e-reader hasn't saved me any money. All the free e-books I have are ones that I wouldn't have bought if they weren't free. I don't count all my e-galleys because I could read those on the computer if I didn't have a Nook. I don't see any way that having the Nook has saved me money. Paper books are still cheaper for me, considering I get a lot of my books used through the Friends of the Library store, Goodwill, and Abe Books.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”