Saving you money?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Insomniac07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insomniac07.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Re: Saving you money?

Post by Insomniac07 »

It's been a huge help for me. Since I got into e-reading I've only bought physical copies of books that I know I'll reread or enjoy. I also only buy free or cheap e-books. So it's saved me a ton of money and increased the amount of books I read
barb429
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barb429.html
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by barb429 »

Maybe a little. There are certain books that I am going to buy a physical copy of no matter what. But I have found that having the Kindle has allowed me to read some books through Amazon's Lending Library, that I would not have wanted to spend the money on a physical copy. I will only buy an e-book if it is relatively inexpensive, so it has also given me the opportunity to spend less on books that I have been wanting to read, but I didn't want the physical copy.
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Karen122
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karen122.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by Karen122 »

I think I save. I do spend money on books if I like the series that I'm reading, but I read a lot of free books. Because they are so easy to get, it saves me time and I can read a lot more. It also saves me storage space. I have no room to store all those actual books and trying the resale route was too consuming. I did have to set a limit for myself and use some self discipline not to go crazy spending money on books since its too easy with that 1-click button.
Danee
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Danee »

Yes, it would save me money but I'd pay an amazing amount of money just to have this huge bookshelf full of different storylines.
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

I don't think so. Even if ebooks seem to be cheaper, you end up buying and reading more of them.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Definitely saves me money. It's easier to borrow from the library via kindle than going there, so that helps. I find many free reads on Amazon. And if I am buying, the kindle version is usually cheaper.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

CatInTheHat wrote:Definitely saves me money. It's easier to borrow from the library via kindle than going there, so that helps. I find many free reads on Amazon. And if I am buying, the kindle version is usually cheaper.
Yeah that makes sense. Do you end up reading more as a result of the lower price though?
Genaaa
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-genaaa.html
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera

Post by Genaaa »

I do feel like it saves me money sometimes as it's sometimes cheaper to purchase it as an ebook than as paperback. Plus, I already have a phone to read it on so I didn't have to spend money on an ereader.
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera
ebeth
Currently Reading: The Color of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebeth.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B0097BEFA4

Post by ebeth »

It depends. I don't feel like it does for me, however, what I like about it is if you hear of a book on t.v. you can add it to your list right then and there. You don't have to worry about going to the library and finding out they don't have it available.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

No... I definitely don't think it saves me money. If anything, the convenience of being able to buy a book wherever, whenever with just the click of a button has made me buy more books! To me, the biggest advantage of an ereader is the amount of space you will save on your bookshelves. My house is already overflowing books so I try to only buy ebooks (and borrow them too) unless it is an author or series I really really love.
KNewton
Favorite Author: Not possible to list
Favorite Book: Not possible to list
Currently Reading: A Bone To Pick (Aurora Teagarden, #2)
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-knewton.html

Post by KNewton »

Yes! E-books definitely save me a lot of money. Not only can you find a ton of great books for free, but the e-book versions are normally much cheaper. That and I love going to our local thrift store. They have a HUGE book section and paper backs are only $1.49. The selections they have a great too! I can find almost any book I want to read that's a least 1-2 years old there. I bought a brand new looking Undaunted Courage for $1.49, it's still $25 at normal bookstores. Although, with the amount of books I've purchased there lately...I still spending quite a bit.
[*]How Fear of the Unknown Hinders the Development of Informed Decisions by Dr. Seuss[*][/color]
Kaylin McFarren
Favorite Book: Buried Threads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75

Post by Kaylin McFarren »

I guess ultimately I break even. My e-reader saves me money for books, especially when they're offered at 99 cents, but then I buy twice as many and spend close to the same amount as I would at a brick and mortar book store...but I end up with more books to read!!
queenlea1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by queenlea1 »

NO. I have spent literally thousands of dollars on iBooks (probably because I read over 200 books in a 1 year span....a bit obsessed with one particular author). But I wished I'd have bought the actual printed books because I find when I see them in a flea market or second-hand store I'm still buying them for my shelf even though I've already read them on iBooks. And the iBooks prices seem to be the same as store prices.
queenlea1
SarkeyNZ
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarkeynz.html

Post by SarkeyNZ »

The e-reader I use is the kindle app on my iPad. It has definitely saved me money because electronic copies are cheaper to buy here in New Zealand than it is to buy paperback or hardback copies.
Jasmine M Wardiya
Currently Reading: Darkglass Mountain #2 - The Twisted Citadel
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasmine-m-wardiya.html
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by Jasmine M Wardiya »

I think it depends on your sources for both. I get most of my hard copy books from second hand stores or the library during cleanups - 50c or $1 each often, so the only things cheaper than that are free. Textbooks are generally cheaper online (particularly if online means a library ebook you can loan for the entire length of your degree). If there's postage involved in getting books, I generally find online cheaper as well (certain books are hard to get in certain countries :(). Something like the Obernewtyn Chronicles in cheaper hardcopy for me because I live in the same area the books are published so the stores pay less for them and therefore sell for less. Box sets are another way of saving money on paperbacks when compared to online - never brought a ebook collection persay. I don't actually own a separate e-reader; I read pdfs, or convert epub or mobi into pdf and read them that way.
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”