Should Kids be reading Ebooks or paperback

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
DarthMom25
Currently Reading: Deadly Design
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darthmom25.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
2024 Reading Goal: 364
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Re: Should Kids be reading Ebooks or paperback

Post by DarthMom25 »

I think they should learn to read through print. I hope to instill a love of reading in my son by starting with print books. Once he's older and can appreciate printed books while accepting the functionality of e-readers is when I'll get him an e-reader.
Genaaa
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-genaaa.html
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera

Post by Genaaa »

I think it's a preference. Some people read better or quicker on a paperback, while the same applies to some kids with ebooks. If a kid can read and understand things better when reading them in ebook form, there shouldn't really be anything wrong with it.
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera
Kaylin McFarren
Favorite Book: Buried Threads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75

Post by Kaylin McFarren »

I recommend a good paperback for kids, but if they're into computers and iPads, any means to get them to read is the best answer.
ebeth
Currently Reading: The Color of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebeth.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B0097BEFA4

Post by ebeth »

Honestly, when I see my niece and nephew on their nabby it frustrates me. I'm surprised their mom lets them be on one at such a young age. We never had one and used our imagination to find things to do. So in my opinion I do not think they should. I got frustrated one of the times I was there they were on it and were ignoring their time with me.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
BeckyM
Currently Reading: Nos4A2
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beckym.html

Post by BeckyM »

I think paperback, definitely. My daughters are avid readers, and I don't think that would have happened with e-books. There is something to be said for the sensory stimulation that paper books provide - not only are you seeing the words, but the smell of the paper and the sound of the pages turning also help to enhance the experience.
DiverseSpirit
Currently Reading: Last Train to Istanbul
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diversespirit.html

Post by DiverseSpirit »

I currently work at an elementary school library. The students love books of all types and all genres!

When I was in elementary school...about 15 years ago or so...books were a necessity in our backpacks. We had to have them, we were assigned strict reading assignments, and we were motivated to read read read! In third grade, I enjoyed reading. My elementary school had funds to allow us to use the computer lab about once or twice a month to learn about Microsoft Office. About that same time-frame, my mother pointed out something that was on the back of a Reader's Digest issue: It was a boy sitting in a chair at a desk. He was looking at a computer screen, which had the screen cut out and a book was propped up where the screen is supposed to be. I remember my mother telling me, "they are going to have these things called E-books one day."

My elementary school that I work at does not necessarily need a computer lab anymore. Every class has a set of laptops/Chromebooks. They are convenient because teachers do not need to worry about making copies of numerous worksheets. They are also elements of communication for the teacher-student relationship. However, they still use books of some physical nature in the classroom.

Nowadays, everyone has an electronic device. Whether wearable or not, electronic devices are imbedded in today's society now. Consider the timeline of E-books. We now have companies like Amazon and Barnes and Noble offering an E-reader. Future generations will most likely be reading E-books more than paperback. I still prefer paperback.
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

I do not think that it matters. As long as they are reading, it is fine. I though read paperback during the old days.
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
Ashley 1820
Currently Reading: Rebecca
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-1820.html

Post by Ashley 1820 »

I think paper book is best as e books can harm their eyesight.
kissnmatt
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kissnmatt.html

Post by kissnmatt »

I really love my Kindle and after careful consideration, I bought my son one, too. He was 12 at the time. He is now 16 and still reads paperback and uses the kindle more for games than anything, although he does read some on it. I raised my son with a respect for books and tried to instill a love for reading in him. He doesn't love reading, but he still does once in a while. I tell you, when I see my son open up a book, my heart just melts!
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Post by bluegreenmarina »

I think it largely depends on the age of the child. As a child is first coming to learn and love reading, he or she should be exposed to real books primarily. However once a love of reading has been established, I think it's much more important that reading takes place rather than the means by which it does.
Celticlady
Currently Reading: Josephine Baker's Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 3435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-celticlady.html
Latest Review: Betrayal in Blue by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Celticlady »

I don't think it really matters as long as the parent has looked the book over and approves of it.
SparklingOne
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: A Breath of Snow and Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklingone.html
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by SparklingOne »

I think that whatever gets them reading is the important thing. But I agree smaller kids should be reading actual books easier to replace a paper book than a device, when they destroy it or leave it somewhere.
Our lives are defined by opportunities, even the ones we miss.
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
MunsterEater
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-munstereater.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by MunsterEater »

I think it really depends.

For kids with dyslexia, electronic is the best way to go because you are able to change the font, a feature not offered by paperbacks. there was even a font created by a man who was dyslexic, I think it is called 'Dyslexie'(?)

My personal preference is either one as long as my child is reading, then I am happy.
StephThyng
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephthyng.html

Post by StephThyng »

I feel that everything is being desensitized with movies and technology. I strongly prefer to read from a paperback or hard cover novel and I have my kids do the same. It gives them a chance to break free from technology and submerge themselves into a different reality. At school my kids use iPads or other tablets or most of their learning so I like to limit their electronic use at home to give their eyes a break.
the_booktator
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-booktator.html

Post by the_booktator »

Paperbacks are definately the way to go for children. While there are benefits to technology, such as conveniance in the ability to pack a ton of books with you wherever you go, as well as educational apps for kids, nothing can beat the warmth associated with curling up with a good book. If any of my future children dislike reading (God forbid), then I would definately use technology to show them how fun it can be. But once they're hooked, then it'll be only paperback books for them (unless on vacation with limited space). Books have made my childhood wonderful, and I hope my children will have the same experience.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”