Should Kids be reading Ebooks or paperback

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Who killed Chatunga? by Muvhaki Tasu

Re: Should Kids be reading Ebooks or paperback

Post by raikyuu »

LKCooper wrote:Let them read the format of their choice, as long as they're reading. We love paperbacks because we grew up with them, but honestly, if a tablet gets them interested, then great! Frankly, if we are going to preserve the Earth, we need to start embracing tech more, and less cutting down of trees to make more books. Less than 50% are being published on recycled paper... That's over 2 billion books printed on trees in the U.S. alone each year. :(
Interesting. I never thought about this.
-rk
Ama Idim
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ama-idim.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Post by Ama Idim »

Starting with paperbacks I'll say, there's definitely something about this. Ebooks still ok
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Who killed Chatunga? by Muvhaki Tasu

Post by raikyuu »

Ama Idim wrote:Starting with paperbacks I'll say, there's definitely something about this. Ebooks still ok
Why is that, if I may ask.
-rk
Star88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star88.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Star88 »

I think that paper books should be introduced first. The device that you read ebooks on is usually expensive. When the child understands how to treat books with respect, them the child should be introduced to ebooks.
Envision Tressy
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-envision-tressy.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Envision Tressy »

Paperback, because the love of books only grows by that sweet scent of paper you get when you have one in hand
Her eyes were like the sun, glowing red hot in the darkness of light!
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
IanYanny
Currently Reading: The Lovely Bones
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ianyanny.html
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo

Post by IanYanny »

I think paper back. Based on my observation on kids, they enjoy those pop-up books. And I agree with Star88, when the child understands the value of books then go and introduced the ebook versions.
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo
Leyla Ann
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Call Me by Your Name
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla-ann.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Leyla Ann »

I'd rather have my kid reading a paperback version of a book to be honest.
People who read are hiders. They hide who they are. People who hide don't always like who they are.
Glennberg
Currently Reading: Hound-dog Man
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Glennberg »

Paper Please.
When I first began homeschooling our brood, I set them up with online literature. Our book shelves stay full and available. But, I noticed the schools had even the younger grades using screen time for their learning. A short few weeks later into our curriculum, I would hear complaining about eye aches and headaches. I took them all to the eye doctor, where they obtained simple reading glasses to wear as needed, except for one who's sight was a bit more off. Then I rearranged their lessons to screen-readable or printable to allow for choice.
While I see the connection for development of I-hand coordination can include traditional books, I also allowed for personal preference which seemed to help with home-schooling. Low and behold, we spend a significant amount of time and money on paper and ink. Majority of our lessons are requested in tangible paper form. This includes the older tween in our home.
Crystal
books_andpoetri
Currently Reading: The Most Fun We Ever Had
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-books-andpoetri.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Denied by Jack Gold and Marc Debbaudt

Post by books_andpoetri »

I think kids should start reading physical books. The only reason why I read e-copies is because they are cheaper and easier to carry when traveling to work, etc.

Given that kids would probably have more free time than most adults and that they don't have to think about expenses yet, they should be starting with the basic. Nothing beats the feel of a book on your hands. Let them have a feel of the physical ones first before exposing them to digital copies.
Jlblawrence
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jlblawrence.html
Latest Review: We Don't Just Eat Lettuce! by Allyn Raifstanger

Post by Jlblawrence »

I think it's all about balance. I'm letting my kids choose the amount of screentime they want, and for the most part it's working out okay. They play outside just as much as they're on their screens. They can have their tablets during the day and before bed we read a physical book. I think if your kid is able to tell you what's going on in the books they're getting on the tablet, that's fantastic! Learning is learning as far as I'm concerned.
Godomon
Currently Reading: Change How You See Yourself Today
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godomon.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Godomon »

I agree with all of you. I really believe that both paper books and e-books are able to ignite the love of reading among young children.
Amy Murdoch Coleman
Favorite Book: Circe
Currently Reading: Hannah's War
Bookshelf Size: 6988
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-murdoch-coleman.html
Latest Review: Caretaker by George Farrell

Post by Amy Murdoch Coleman »

I love paperback books, but if ebooks are available and safe for kids to use, then I have no problem letting my daughter read them. Both are perfectly good mediums to expose kids to reading.
purvasha__
Currently Reading: The forgotten daughter
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-purvasha.html
Latest Review: Melissa & Kasho by Camilla Chance

Post by purvasha__ »

I think paperback is definitely the better choice for kids because engaging them with screens at a young age is not the best idea. Also, they can read e-books later on in life but their childhood should be memories of holding beautiful, physical books.
Amanda Nicole Newton
Currently Reading: East Wind, 2nd Edition
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nicole-newton.html
Latest Review: Shadow's Adventure Home by Kathy Kovar

Post by Amanda Nicole Newton »

I think it depends on the child. Some kids do very well with e-books and some do better with paper. It's a choice that would have to be made between parent and child on a case by case basis. For me, I'm glad my parents instilled in me a love for physical books, but not all parents may be able to do that.
Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are.”
aruntr2001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aruntr2001.html
Latest Review: Theatre of Racial Conflict by Bunmi Popoola

Post by aruntr2001 »

Kids should always read the paperback books. THe paper books will provide a better eye and mind coordination for the young brains as that is more important for the ids to cultivate their brain first and hence paperbacks are the best things for the kids.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”