Why "either" "or"?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Bhaskins
Currently Reading: The Biography of Her
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskins.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Re: Why "either" "or"?

Post by Bhaskins »

I agree it doesn't have to be an either/or situation. I have both and they both serve a purpose. Right now I live in a small house and the kindle saves space. I love a good book sale and will buy paperback and hard cover too. I like the portability of a kindle and that I can switch what I am reading as I am usually in the middle of a few books and will read based on my mood.
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book." -J.K. Rowling
Nimisha_91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimisha-91.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Nimisha_91 »

Exactly! And I've found myself reading so much more because an e-reader is so convenient! And there are so many books to choose from. I've started reading new books on Kindle and then buying a paperback of the ones I love! Works for me..
DD129
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dd129.html
Latest Review: The Message? by Avam Hale

Post by DD129 »

I agree! I love the convenience of e-readers, but I just love the feeling of a paperback book in my hand. They're both good, and I use both. I have an e-reader and multiple physical books. The method doesn't matter to me so long as I can read a story I like!
sunmuth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunmuth.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by sunmuth »

For me, if a book is longer or is fantasy where I may want to reference a map/family tree/glossary, I will always prefer the paper version. Nonfiction as well. I tend to use ebooks only for contemporary books that I would want to read "on the go" like between classes at school or when waiting for someone.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

Ebooks are generally cheaper but I can find second-hand paper books that sometimes are very cheap so for me it depends a lot on price.
Ciao :)
Massimo
Jennashby_87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennashby-87.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B07CZMMQPM

Post by Jennashby_87 »

I definitely see the plus side to both. I prefer reading paperbacks most of the time but there are definitely some times when having an e-reader is a complete blessing.
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

I also like both e-books and paperback books, because they each have their advantages.
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

I like e-books when I am reviewing books because it is easier to note down and highlight errors.
Leyla Ann
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Call Me by Your Name
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla-ann.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Leyla Ann »

Although eBooks have noteworthy advantages, I still prefer the feeling of paper to the digitalized version.
People who read are hiders. They hide who they are. People who hide don't always like who they are.
Falling4Ever
Currently Reading: Titans
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falling4ever.html
Latest Review: G.E.M.S. by Daphne Valcourt

Post by Falling4Ever »

I read paperback books for novels and easily transportable books. When they're bigger, like textbooks, or more expensive, but cheaper for an ebook version, I'll use digital books instead.
Amanda Nicole Newton
Currently Reading: East Wind, 2nd Edition
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nicole-newton.html
Latest Review: Shadow's Adventure Home by Kathy Kovar

Post by Amanda Nicole Newton »

I have never understood that either! I love real physical books, but a Kindle is so easy to carry with you and take on the go. Plus it has a backlight you can read in the dark easier.
Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are.”
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: A Walk Through the Grapes by David Jackson

Post by Honest-reviewer »

I like both! It usually depends on my mood and weather.. If I’m on a vacation or it raining outside then I prefer to read a physical book or else I read in my iPad. The latter is more convenient.
Grace Bela
Currently Reading: Jesus Calling
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-bela.html
Latest Review: Moon Luck by Wayne Scott Harral

Post by Grace Bela »

This is honestly a great question that I've never really thought about. Even though I'm definitely a paper book person, I see the benefit of both.
Xenolyph
Currently Reading: Flowers in the Attic
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xenolyph.html
Latest Review: Shepherds of Destiny by Kiel Barnekov
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by Xenolyph »

I have both hard copy books and ebooks on my Nook and the Kindle app. It really depends on where I can find the book or if I feel like going out to get a hard copy versus just pressing a few buttons and getting the digital. I love all books, so I'm not opposed to either digital or hard copy!
Bri C
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bri-c.html
Latest Review: Shepherds of Destiny by Kiel Barnekov

Post by Bri C »

I used to have both and currently utilize my laptop and phone as e-book readers. We have a pretty robust library system, so at this point, I really only buy books that I'll want to return to year after year, or that I need a hard copy of for a specific purpose. I still love physical books, but with hundreds left in my collection after hardcore decluttering, there had to be a high bar or I'd be utterly buried. There are four book fiends in our house. At least we're good at sharing.

I don't buy e-books. Between the library, Prime Reading, and out-of-copyright classics, I will *never* run out of things to read. I like e-books for nonfiction, particularly self-help, and fiction books that I don't think I'll return to. It's not like I can't buy a book later on.

I do sometimes buy books I might only read once at the semi-annual library book fair. They are incredibly cheap (usually 50 cents), go to a cause I support (the library), and I can donate them right back after I read them if I decide not to keep them. It's a cheap, waste-free way of keeping that physical book experience.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”