Why "either" "or"?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Anita Cheek Moon
Bookshelf Size: 0

Why "either" "or"?

Post by Anita Cheek Moon »

Books and e-readers both have their place in my reading. There are many, many books that haven't been digitized but there are other things that make books something that keep them important. Books typically have better pictures and illustration's, for example and electricity is not a prerequisite to reading them. They also make great paper weights. On the other hand, the size of the e-readers make them so easy to carry along. The volume of material they will hold is astonishing plus they are becoming multitools, calculators, cameras, etc. Finally, I love that they are illuminated and the search features.
Mia Couture
Currently Reading: The Winemakers
Bookshelf Size: 377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mia-couture.html

Post by Mia Couture »

I have the Nook app. The Kindle app. Bluefire reader and Moon reader. I will admit I like the Kindle better, but there are certain books not available in Kindle (e pub for example). If I can get the book for free, it doesn't matter to me whether the book is hard cover, paper back, or electronic. I read them all!
Redfootblue
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redfootblue.html

Post by Redfootblue »

I used to own an ereader and paperbacks. I still use both, though now I've converted to an IPad. I don't understand the idea that we can't have both. Some days I want a nice thick paperback to take with me on a trip. I want to smell the pages and feel something flicking through my fingers. Other days I want something sleek and accessible. I find the argument to be rubbish.
Teresa50
Currently Reading: The Cellist of Sarajevo
Bookshelf Size: 997
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teresa50.html

Post by Teresa50 »

I don't understand why it's supposed to be an either/or situation. Just because I have an e-reader doesn't mean that I have stopped visiting bookshops or the local library. It does mean that I read new authors that I might never have come across before because I can either sample their books or get them free. E-readers are great for reading fiction but terrible for most hobbies. Brilliant for going on holiday and taking a massive selection of books with you, terrible for passing along that latest great find to your best friend once you have finished reading. Each has its place and we should celebrate diversity.
Eustacia Tan
Bookshelf Size: 20
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by Eustacia Tan »

I agree that both have a place. For me, when I'm in Japan, I tend to read more ebooks, purely because it's easier to get ahold of them (though I still do read paper books when I find them). In Singapore, I read more paper books - I basically go to the library every 3 weeks and check out as many books as possible.

For me, ebooks are great for finding specific books that you want to read. Paper books are great when you have nothing specific in mind.
Sadiebdog

Post by Sadiebdog »

What does it really matter. I like to read books.
Be they come from my local library, Internet, or from a friend.
he format doesn't matter to me. Just keep the "books" coming.
tamarah

Post by tamarah »

I like reading some books with my Kindle and others in paper form. I like having the Kindle to try samples of books that I'm not sure about -- perhaps it's by an author I've never read before, or maybe the genre isn't one I often read. Since I'm a musician who often plays for musical theatre, I can read my Kindle in the dark and only need to tap it to turn the page, whereas with a paper book, I have to put a bookmark in it whenever I have to stop reading to play my instrument. However, I like to collect and read the actual paper books from my favorite authors. It's especially relaxing to curl up in front of the fireplace with a good old-fashioned paper book during the cold Minnesota winters!
jward
Currently Reading: What Teachers Are Made Of
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jward.html

Post by jward »

I love both! I have a huge library filled with books of all sorts some well over a hundred years old. I love the smell of old books and the history contained in them. Yet I travel often and it is tremendously inconvenient to carry a lot of books with me. The e-reader is the way to go then. I search free books as well as some classics and have fallen in love with some new authors as well as remembering stories from long ago.
Shelle
Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelle.html
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Shelle »

Me too! Paper books are great, and e-readers are just so dang handy!
ReadDear

Post by ReadDear »

Shelle wrote:Me too! Paper books are great, and e-readers are just so dang handy!
However, the paper book is much more pleasant to the touch. I like to touch it, and I like to see books are on the bookshelf.

During the trip, of course, it is better to have the e-book.
simplysara
Currently Reading: The Biblical Clock
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simplysara.html

Post by simplysara »

I agree completely! I love the convenience of my Kindle Paperwhite, the apps I can use on my Fire, the SUPER handiness of the Kindle app on my phone...BUT, I still enjoy reading physical books, too. Lately I go for free/cheap first, so I look to see which version the library has, then I check the local used book store. If push comes to shove, I buy the book on Kindle. Sometimes I find a better deal on Google Play Books, so I'll get it there instead. It's a TOOL. It doesn't have to be all or nothing in my opinion.
melly811
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melly811.html

Post by melly811 »

For me, ebooks and paper books serve two different purposes. Ebooks are great for sampling new authors and genres, forging ahead into new (to me) territories. Paper books are like coming home to see old friends. Having the physical book in hand, along with the other sensory input, doesn't just transport me to the world in the book, but draws me back to the time in my life I last read it.
ash77atc
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ash77atc.html
Latest Review: "Broken Places" by Rachel Thompson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by ash77atc »

I love paper books for highlighting my favorite passages so I can find them easily. The smell of the pages and the way the book fits into my hands is something I can't get from my Kindle fire. However, there is something really empowering about being able to carry around hundreds of books in an ereader. The choices can be limitless!
Latest Review: "Broken Places" by Rachel Thompson
ronrogers

Post by ronrogers »

I have the Nook app. The Kindle app. Blue fire reader and Moon reader. I will admit I like the Kindle better, but there are certain books not available in Kindle. If I can get the book for free, it doesn't matter to me whether the book is hard cover, paper back, or electronic
ronrogers

Post by ronrogers »

I used to own an ereader and paperbacks. I still use both, though now I've converted to an IPad. I don't understand the idea that we can't have both.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”