Listening to Audio books

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Leiden Elwood
Currently Reading: London's Strangest Tales
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Re: Listening to Audio books

Post by Leiden Elwood »

If i don't have much interest on a certain book but would like to give it a try, i listen to the audio book first then i'll decide whether i'll actually read the book or not depending on how i like the flow of the story or content.
I tried it with Pride and Prejudice (read by Elizabeth Klett) because i didn't expect that i would really like the book but as i go on with the story, i was beginning to really enjoy it so i switched to actually reading it.
usef nahg
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-usef-nahg.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by usef nahg »

Listening to an audiobook can definitely be good if youre busy throughout the day. I listened to an audiobook once and zoned out way too many times and could not keep up with the plot.
Bridgette C 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bridgette-c-2.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Bridgette C 2 »

I don't listen to audio books. I can't hear well.
Inge van Tonder
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inge-van-tonder.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Inge van Tonder »

I enjoy listening to audiobooks. It might depend on who is reading it. Sometimes you get an audiobook which sounds awful and might put you off audiobooks. I love listening to Stephen Fry.
Anthonio042
Currently Reading: Sex, Genes and Rock 'n' Roll
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthonio042.html
Latest Review: "INVASIONS: 'Killing og the Indian'" by Don Diehl

Post by Anthonio042 »

Audiobooks are simply a lifesaver. We cannot deny the fact that most of the time, reading voluminous pages of books is mentally taxing, but having this option that allows us to listen to the whole context of what we are reading is just really helpful. I just also find the speakers of audiobooks soothing, and I am grateful that audio books have been invented.
Kidd Essence
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kidd-essence.html
Latest Review: Fast-Starting A Career of Consequence by Fred Sievert

Post by Kidd Essence »

I have only listened to an audiobook once in my life. The book was The Outsiders, by S.E Hinton. I had the same, if not more, excitement from listening to the audiobook in comparison to the paper copy I had also received. In my opinion, audiobooks and hardcover are equally exciting.
Oghenekobaro C
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oghenekobaro-c.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by Oghenekobaro C »

Listening to audiobooks is fun. One can do other activities alongside. It also aids easy understanding, and the book is finished faster.
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
estanlypido12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-estanlypido12.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by estanlypido12 »

I do listen to several audiobooks. It is soothing and made me understand the storyline easily and quickly. This also gives me intact emotion while reading.
Widade Assaly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-widade-assaly.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Widade Assaly »

I don't like listening to books, even though they can be time efficient. I also find the voices annoying and I tend to be less focused on the story than when I read it.
Preye I
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-preye-i.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Preye I »

I'm going to be honest I tried the audiobook and it didn't work for me. I kind of slept off. It was hard to like concentrate but it makes sense because I can never concentrate when people read for me.
Sameena Ansari
Favorite Book: Dracula
Currently Reading: Losing Hope
Bookshelf Size: 50

Post by Sameena Ansari »

I've never listened to an audiobook before. I fear that I'll miss on some important parts if I get distracted by something. And going back and listening to that part again seems like a chore to me.
Helen Akoth
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-akoth.html
Latest Review: A Submissive Journey-Second Semester by Richard Read

Post by Helen Akoth »

Used to reading, at first I found it difficult to concentrate when listening to a book. But nowadays I am okay with audiobooks.
Alexandur Gicov
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandur-gicov.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Alexandur Gicov »

Convenience is good, but with a foreign voice you lose the feeling, the feeling and the idea in your head about the essence of the story. Listening to the audio version, I can't describe the picture and understand the story as I read.
Joan Aturinda
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joan-aturinda.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Joan Aturinda »

I have tried listening to the audio of some books but I can honestly say that i did not enjoy it. I prefer to read for myself.
WriteOn
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writeon.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by WriteOn »

Audio books have been invaluable to me and many people I know, so I am a fan of them.
I know from personal experience that when injury or illness prevents someone from being able to read a visual book then audio books are not just a great alternative, they are therapeutic and wonderfully distracting.
I'll always feel grateful to the hospital librarian who first enabled me to listen to Richard Burton's narration in the BBC's 1963 recording of Under Milk Wood by Dylan Thomas. I highly recommend it for it's humour and the delight of listening to the melodic Welsh accent. It was written for radio broadcast, so perhaps that is one reason it works so well as an audio book.
Richard Burton was a superb narrator and I agree with others here that a good narrator is crucial. Stephen Fry narrates The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams equally well, in my opinion. Another enjoyable listen.
Sorry if I'm 'going on a bit' but lastly, access to audio books for people with visual impairment can be such an asset to rehabilitation and mental health that I can't praise them enough.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”