Listening to Audio books

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
JosephTee
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Listening to Audio books

Post by JosephTee »

Not at all. I don't like Audio books. E-book is better
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Post by ayoomisope »

For me it's more of an attention thing. I prefer to look at what I'm reading as that will keep my mind from drifting away from the sound of someone reading to me. Besides, I find audio books too slow for my reading pace.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Post by Camille Turner »

Audiobooks are great for me when I'm doing more mindless tasks like cleaning or simple crafts such as knitting!
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I oddly have trouble with regulating volume with audio books. I can easily zone out and not hear my book and the pauses between words can be completely silent. I find it hard to multitask with audio books.
Ameesa
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading: Fish Wielder
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Ameesa »

I love audio books! But then I worked alone at night for many years and needed to sound while I did my work, and music didn't do it for me. I also enjoy having one gong while I fall asleep. A lot does depend on the reader though. Some are wonderful, some are...cringe worthy.
EllieA
Currently Reading: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elliea.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by EllieA »

I prefer reading to listening to audio books, but audio books can be great when you are otherwise occupied- like driving, cooking, etc. Kind of like listening to the radio :)
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 773
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

minnieminx wrote: 09 Jan 2016, 14:21 Hi i have a voucher for audio books but i have never listened to one before and i was wondering if you get the same satisfaction listening to a book rather than reading it. Or i would like to know if you listened to audio books what did you think of it
Hello: I think you would enjoy an audio book with the similar feel of reading it. I find that it's all about using the same senses compared to when I read.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
BarryEM
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by BarryEM »

A lot of people enjoy audiobooks. A lot of people don't like them. The only way to find out is to try one.

I suggest listening to samples before you buy one. The narrator makes a big difference. Not only are some narrators better than others, some narrators fit a particular book better than other narrators.

Nobody can really help you get a good narrator. Everybody's tastes vary a lot. You have to find one you like and that's where samples help.

Barry
Aituaje
Currently Reading: Heaven and Earth
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aituaje.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Aituaje »

I prefer reading books myself; I can go back and reread a favorite passage, or if I didn't quite understand the sentence the first time, I can quickly reread it until I understand it. I find that it's too easy to tune out an audiobook, and the imagery just isn't the same; I find that I can imagine what's going on better when I'm reading rather than when I'm listening to an audiobook.
mshogrider67
Favorite Book: The Haunting of Dove Cote house
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67

Post by mshogrider67 »

I love audiobooks, in fact I have one playing now. For me a bad narrator can destroy a good story. if they read a horror book to me like they are reading a children's book, I turn it off and move on. Their voices can sometimes ruin a book for me as well.

Sometimes a great narrator can get me into a not so good story also. A truly great narrator to me is one you can hear the emotion. You can hear and feel when they are smiling and so on.

There have been several books I have stopped what I was doing to listen to the book. The story and the narrator get my attention so well I feel like I crawl into the book.

I make 8 hour car trips to visit my daughter a few times a year and am usually by myself a audiobook really pays off during these times. It keeps my mind busy while driving but yet is not distracting to me. My husband also listens to audiobooks and we find we can both listen to for car trips we take together.
See_B00kReaDs
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-see-b00kreads.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by See_B00kReaDs »

There are pros and cons in listening to audio books. You can do other things while listening, but there's also a tendency where you lose focus, unlike when your reading them.
“Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don’t really matter.”
– Francis Chan

God bless you! :D
See_B00kReaDs
Currently Reading:

Post by See_B00kReaDs »

Aituaje wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 07:13 I find that I can imagine what's going on better when I'm reading rather than when I'm listening to an audiobook.
I agree with you it's not the same when your actually reading the book.
“Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don’t really matter.”
– Francis Chan

See_B00kReaDs
Currently Reading:

Post by See_B00kReaDs »

ayoomisope wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 03:01 For me it's more of an attention thing. I prefer to look at what I'm reading as that will keep my mind from drifting away from the sound of someone reading to me. Besides, I find audio books too slow for my reading pace.
Yes, you can get easily distracted when listening rather than when you read it.
– Francis Chan

See_B00kReaDs
Currently Reading:

Post by See_B00kReaDs »

Amystl26 wrote: 30 Jan 2018, 06:46
RachelErmutlu wrote: 13 Jan 2016, 23:21 I have not listened to audiobooks because I feel it would not be the same as reading a book. I am a fast reader and I feel some people read audiobooks too slowly. It is also easier for me to pay attention when I am reading the book myself.
I totally agree! I feel like the speed at which the narrator reads may be too slow for me. I've never listened to a full audio book, but have done snippets, and I remember thinking this exact thing! Plus, one of the reasons I read is because it helps ground me and keep focus with my ADD; If I'm listening to someone else, odds are I probably won't remained focus as much as I would while actually using MY MIND to register the words! Thanks for the response! :techie-reference:
I totally agree on this one. Reading is so much better than listening. :D
– Francis Chan

Amanda Nixon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nixon.html
Latest Review: Saving Grace by Kathryn Garten

Post by Amanda Nixon »

I much prefer reading a book rather than listening to it. I just find that by listening to it I don't usually follow as well. I'm more of a read it myself type of person

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”