Listening to Audio books

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Honeybeetle
Currently Reading: Snow Crash
Bookshelf Size: 318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honeybeetle.html
Latest Review: Loving Well, The Key To Satisfying and Joyful Relationships by Erin K Leonard (Dr Erin Leonard)

Re: Listening to Audio books

Post by Honeybeetle »

If I have time I enjoy reading myself, but as many others in the thread have said, audiobooks are amazing for getting through a commute. Until recently, I was spending around ten hours each week on the road, and could finish a book a week that way. It's a lot more fun than listening to the same 30 crummy songs on the radio every day.
Shireenkha
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Shireenkha »

One of my favorite things these days are audiobooks but along with that I love the whisper sync feature that kindle does where you switch between reading the ebook and listening to the audiobook seamlessly or you can do both at the same time. This has honestly changed my life! I have never been that big into audiobooks but when you are as busy as I am as a full time student-athlete it’s really great to be able to listen to the book and I have really come to enjoy it. I know audiobooks are not for everyone but I urge you to try it out and see for yourself!
Amystl26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amystl26.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Amystl26 »

RachelErmutlu wrote: 13 Jan 2016, 23:21 I have not listened to audiobooks because I feel it would not be the same as reading a book. I am a fast reader and I feel some people read audiobooks too slowly. It is also easier for me to pay attention when I am reading the book myself.
I totally agree! I feel like the speed at which the narrator reads may be too slow for me. I've never listened to a full audio book, but have done snippets, and I remember thinking this exact thing! Plus, one of the reasons I read is because it helps ground me and keep focus with my ADD; If I'm listening to someone else, odds are I probably won't remained focus as much as I would while actually using MY MIND to register the words! Thanks for the response! :techie-reference:
Amystl26
Currently Reading:

Post by Amystl26 »

CrystalSnow wrote: 17 Jan 2017, 11:04 I think Audio books are good in a pinch, and even sometimes to read along with, but nothing is ever going to break the bond I have with paper pages of
Totally agree! Nothing can break the bond between holding those beautiful, great-smelling pages between my two hands! :techie-reference:
Amystl26
Currently Reading:

Post by Amystl26 »

Honeybeetle wrote: 20 Jan 2018, 19:39 If I have time I enjoy reading myself, but as many others in the thread have said, audiobooks are amazing for getting through a commute. Until recently, I was spending around ten hours each week on the road, and could finish a book a week that way. It's a lot more fun than listening to the same 30 crummy songs on the radio every day.
I myself have never listened to an audio book, however, I have several friends that listen during commutes and absolutely love it! And yes, waaay better than listening to the same songs played over and over and over again!
Amystl26
Currently Reading:

Post by Amystl26 »

katmiddlebrook wrote: 19 Dec 2016, 00:42 I don't think that listening to an audiobook can truly compare to the personal emotions of reading the words yourself; this being said, I still find tremendous value in audiobooks. I like to consider audiobooks as having a different purpose as traditional books. For instance, I love listening to audiobooks while sitting in traffic, working on monotonous tasks at work, or going on a long run. Listening to books helps me from getting bored and results in higher motivation or productivity in my days.
Great post, thanks! I agree that listening to audio books cannot truly compare to the personal emotions of reading the words ourselves. I've only listened to a snippet of an audio book (and it was non-ficiton), because I just have not brought myself to do so! Maybe I should give it a try so I don't have to listen to the same songs on the radio over and over and over again! :techie-studyinggray:
sammiereads
Currently Reading: Truthwitch
Bookshelf Size: 546

Post by sammiereads »

Some audiobooks have really cool effects to it like Beautiful Creatures. I prefer books because I like reading but audiobooks are good when you are in a bus, car and subway.
Kdemichael86
Currently Reading: Hidden
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by Kdemichael86 »

I am always on the move and work in a call center, so I have been highly considering audio books so that I can listen to them during down time. I need some insight on if I would need to get an additional device or will my "cheap" tablet work? Maybe just from my phone? I am used to just ready from a book, but with always being on the move, whether it's the bus, car, or walking, it is hard to keep up with reading a book. Not to mention, when I try to calm down at the end of the day to read, my 4 year old wants me to read to her... Lol...
BarryEM
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by BarryEM »

Most phones and tablets are excellent for reading audiobooks. You can listen to them in the Kindle app or the Audible app or the app from any number of other audiobook providers. A nice thing about the Kindle app is that you can read the book or listen to the audiobook and each always begins where you left off with the other, so you can go back and forth easily.

You can buy external players for audiobooks but they're usually geared more for music and most don't give you all the features you need for books. There are a few MP3 players designed with audiobooks in mind, such as the Sansa Clip, but a phone or tablet is usually easier.

Barry
Raksha Rakhecha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raksha-rakhecha.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Raksha Rakhecha »

Honeybeetle wrote: 20 Jan 2018, 19:39 If I have time I enjoy reading myself, but as many others in the thread have said, audiobooks are amazing for getting through a commute. Until recently, I was spending around ten hours each week on the road and could finish a book a week that way. It's a lot more fun than listening to the same 30 crummy songs on the radio every day.
I agree. Listening to audiobooks while travelling is a great idea.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

It's beyond a doubt that listening to books is not half the fun as reading them. However, people hardpressed for time do enjoy it - maybe while jogging in the park or so.

I think it's a matter of preference.
Vintagefaire101
Currently Reading: Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Vintagefaire101 »

I prefer to save audio books for short stories and poems than full novels. I don't get as much out of listening to an audio book, especially if you are driving or working. You just are not paying attention as much. In addition, if I am not driving or working, just sitting and listening to an audio book, I might as well pick up the real thing. However, with short stories and poems, and a good narrator, you can get something extra out of the story than just reading it.
TheRedQueen22
Favorite Book: Fight or Flight
Currently Reading: Breaking Hollywood
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theredqueen22.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by TheRedQueen22 »

I enjoy listening to Audiobooks at night when my eyes are too tired to read or when I'm travelling to avoid motion sickness. I tend to get headaches and feel nauseous whenever I read while in a moving vehicle.

It also helps me in practicing my storytelling skills since I'm around children most of the time.
writtenbetweenthelin
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by writtenbetweenthelin »

I like listening to books, but I forget way faster if I don't read by myself...
Booknerd222
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Booknerd222 »

I have insomnia, so listening to audiobooks when I can't sleep is great. they're also good for long car rides.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”