Listening to Audio books

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
starshipsaga
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 2024
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starshipsaga.html
Latest Review: Secrets of the Dead by Murray Bailey

Re: Listening to Audio books

Post by starshipsaga »

I've been so busy lately that if it weren't for audiobooks, I probably wouldn't be finishing as many books these days! Right before bed is usually my prime reading time, but I've been so exhausted these days. It feels so much more relaxing to be able to pop in a couple earbuds, put on an audiobook and let someone else do the reading for me :D
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I have just started listening to an audiobook. It is just an experiment to see whether I like it or not. I started with one of my all time favourite books- Harry potter and the Philosopher's Stone. And my review is this- at times when it is impossible for me to read a printed book or an ebook (in a dark room for developing photo films, or in a too crowded bus, or when my eyes are simply too tired), an audiobook does great! But otherwise, it can never give you the feel you get from reading books. I have listened to stories narrated by readers in a radio program before, but those were with good sound effects and proper expressions and voice modulaions and I liked those. On the contrary, this audiobook sounds a bit boring. Of course, I can not comment on all the audiobooks in the world on the basis of a single one, and that too my favourite book; I would probably feel very different when I start listening to one with an unknown story. And I am planning on listening to more audiobooks before commenting further.
Aixa Miller
Currently Reading: Wicked Designs
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aixa-miller.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Aixa Miller »

I've never tried it before, but I don't think I would get the same satisfaction as actually reading.
Rumbly
Favorite Book: Warlock of the Magus World Series
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by Rumbly »

I am digging audiobooks, and lately been using a text-to-speech voice reader for novels I read. I am able to multitask and listen to novels as I work so it's really great. Also I have been trying to put less strain on my eyes, so with audiobooks I don't have to sacrifice my eyes to enjoy the stories I want to read.
valsephine
Currently Reading: Walden
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by valsephine »

I'm glad to see this topic explored in a forum about e-readers. The Kindle vs. paperback debate rages on, while fans of audiobooks just stay in the shadows... :D

As an avid crocheter, I love listening to audiobooks as they allow me to be productive while I listen. I also listen to them often while exercising or driving, and my husband voraciously consumed audiobooks when he had a grocery stocking job.

All that to say: I find the people that have the most success with audiobooks are those that have a relaxing or mindless activity to do while they listen. I have tried playing video games while listening to an audiobook, but even a low-key game like Minecraft proved too distracting for me, and gave me a headache. Your mileage may vary, though; I believe any reader could benefit from experimenting with the medium.
faceadventure
Currently Reading: Randy Love...at your service
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faceadventure.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by faceadventure »

I have listened to a lot of audiobooks and I still do sometimes. For me it depends on the person reading it if the audiobook is enjoyable or not. But they mostly are. Audiobooks are good for when you are doing something that doesn't require a lot of brainpower like doing the dishes, folding laundry, taking a walk, colouring in a colouring book or just laying on your bed staring at the ceiling.
chipmunck
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chipmunck.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by chipmunck »

I get audio books from my local library and so I don't feel bad if a book isn't what I want to hear vs reading. I realize I like non-fiction books the most. Especially if they are fairly easy to listen to. I am most recently on my 3rd audio book that I have listened to. This is fairly new to me, and it is great to listen to in the car when I cannot do anything else but drive. I also listen to them at work when the project I work on is able to not require a lot of focused attention (read: Doing more button pushing on the computer). I did listen to a non-fiction of a true story and it was okay but find more non-fiction books to keep me engaged. I am currently listening to Carrie Fisher's last book read by her. I think I get more out of it than if I read it. I love listening to her tell her story.
chisom_ikeogu
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by chisom_ikeogu »

this is very relatable because I find that audio books help me concentrate more and I can go on for hours listening and digesting every word from the specific book
oluchi159
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by oluchi159 »

I love listening to audio,it's easier understood.
rave_2
Currently Reading: A Word so Fitly Spoken
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rave-2.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by rave_2 »

I've never listened to an audio book since I prefer ebooks or printed books. I'm sure that it might be a great experience for some people, though.
Just reading... :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyinggray:
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
BookishCoffeeBlog
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcoffeeblog.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by BookishCoffeeBlog »

I often listen to audiobooks. I love listening to them while I am doing other, mindless activities like cleaning, driving, and painting. However, I find that I need to listen to light, contemporary reads. I have a hard time connecting with the characters and I don't focus as much on the world-building. I will read the physical book of a story that I want to cherish and stories that will make me emotional.
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: Fate Won't Compromise by Catherine Blakely

Post by Morgan Jones »

I prefer reading the words instead of listening to them because I often get distracted from listening and I'll have to repeat the audio all over again.
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon
HGreenfield04
Currently Reading: Nerd Gone Wild
Bookshelf Size: 2122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hgreenfield04.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by HGreenfield04 »

I love listening to books! First I can change the speed, for some reason at the regular speed my mind wanders so much and I can't focus on the book as well. Second I get so much done while I am listening to a book. Not just boring car rides but just around the house stuff too, like laundry yuck lol. I pop my earbud in and go! (and yes just one earbud I have a three-year-old so I have to be able to hear him as well :D )
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

I really enjoy audio books when I am in the car or somewhere that I cannot read an actual book. The only bad thing about audio books is that you can't easily flip back and forth in them as in a paper book or an e-book - mainly because for whatever reason, your hands or otherwise occupied. Besides that, they are great.
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
ahmaria
Currently Reading: Beloved
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahmaria.html
Latest Review: Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry by Kaviru Gayathri Samarawickrama

Post by ahmaria »

I don't really enjoy audiobooks as much. Even with talented narrators who do voices and other cool things, there's something a lot more comforting and satisfying about turning pages, physically seeing your progress, closing a book at the end, etc.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”