Listening to Audio books

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Seamstress
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84

Re: Listening to Audio books

Post by Seamstress »

My problem with audio books is voices - I rately encouter ones that don't annoy me on some level.
tman4lwh
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by tman4lwh »

For me listening to Audio Books is great especially, if you are like me and you do not have a lot of time during the during. Especially with various activities in life. I always love listening to Audiobooks in the car on the way to work, or school. I feel that if you the right person reading the book, you still get lost in the story. Although to me there is nothing better than sitting down and reading a book when you have time.
Rikoala

Post by Rikoala »

I am a HUGE fan of Audiobooks. I program on a computer 10+ hours per day. My eyes are often aching by the end of the work day. I love to sit back and close my eyes with my earbuds in and listen to someone tell me a story. Sometimes I play books on my iphone while soaking in a bath. I do agree that the narrator can be a bother sometimes. Once or twice I've stopped reading because of an irritating narrator but, often enough, the new releases have very good voice-over artists performing the narration. Some services are too expensive for me but borrowing from the library through libby or hoopla work very well.
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

I haven't yet tried the audiobooks. But I used to listen to audio tapes on my commute to work and loved them- especially if the reader had a great animated voice.
Ak1412
Currently Reading: Reawakened
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ak1412.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Ak1412 »

I actually love audiobooks! I don't listen to them often but every now and then I will get one to play I the car rather than listening to the radio. It feels so good to listen to a story while driving.
Northiiee

Post by Northiiee »

Personally, I love audiobooks. I listen to them all the time whenever I'm in the car or waiting in line. It's a great way to get through books that I never would before, but a person can lose a sense of connection with a book. I will always try and read a book with my eyes rather than an audiobook, but it's a good time filler for when a person can't actually read.
Chikari
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chikari.html
Latest Review: The Talking Baobab Tree by Nelda LaTeef
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by Chikari »

It really depends on the narrator for me. I have Audible and really enjoy it.
**Always happy to go on a new adventure!**
oliverj16

Post by oliverj16 »

This is just my opinion, but I am not a huge fan of them. There's just something satisfying about opening a physical book and reading out your own pace. Plus you can go back and read a certain part whenever you want at your own reading speed! Not that you cannot do that with an audiobook, but for me , I comprehend things better when I read them myself. :D
onemorechap
Currently Reading: House of Eire
Bookshelf Size: 310
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onemorechap.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B014GCG150

Post by onemorechap »

I used to be a snob without having tried it because I believe it doesnt count exactly as reading. It is more like listening to music or like watching a movie for me. BUT this doesn't mean it isn't awesome! I love listening to audiobooks while in the bus or doing chores and lab work! I love them!
JenJen13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52

Post by JenJen13 »

When I have a busy schedule or taking a road trip I choose an audio book. That way I can listen to the book while doing others things around the house, office or while driving. Although, I do prefer to read the book myself, I do find using an audio book to be helpful/useful.
Choine
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-choine.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by Choine »

I've gotten into it while listening to audiobooks in the car but not as much as when I read them by myself. I feel like reading the book allows me to take the story at my own pace and to create different voices for each character.
Ak1412
Currently Reading: Reawakened
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ak1412.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Ak1412 »

I love to have an audiobook for a long car ride, but otherwise I prefer to read it myself.
lisalynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalynn.html
Latest Review: Sex on every Paige by Graham Spaid

Post by lisalynn »

An audiobook is a different experience. If you're a fast reader, it takes longer. But it also allows you to "read" while doing other things, such as driving on a long trip. Sometimes I feel like I miss a few things in an audiobook, and it's not as easy to skip back and double check what's going on.
Hawkshaw47
Currently Reading: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hawkshaw47.html
Latest Review: Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

Post by Hawkshaw47 »

Audiobooks are great. They are just like reading, but maybe not for everyone. As I'm new here, i wonder if anyone has ever reviewed any audiobooks?

I have narrated a few and i have to say, it is the most challenging thing I've ever done. The goal is to make it sound interesting and that doesn't always work.
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

Most audiobooks are outstanding. They are like movies. You can close your eyes, and they will take you away. However, if you are reviewing such a book, it is difficult in that you cannot just scroll back and see the part you want to quote. It is much easier to review a paper book or an ebook.
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”