Looking to Buy an E Reader. Any Recommendations?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
AJ Bruns
Favorite Author: Marie Lu
Currently Reading: The 5th Wave
Bookshelf Size: 519
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aj-bruns.html
fav_author_id: 6099

Looking to Buy an E Reader. Any Recommendations?

Post by AJ Bruns »

I have never owned an E Reader before, and since so many people love them and Christmas is coming soon, I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations? Which brand should I invest in? Which brands personally hurt your eyes? What are good prices for a Kindle or a Nook?

Any feedback you have is much appreciated! :)
AmandaRuth
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by AmandaRuth »

Namaste, I have owned a kindle and an iPad. I live overseas and having an E reader has been a life line for my reading addiction. Personally, the iPad is a solid option. It is more versatile than a Kindle or Nook. The price is more, but with Apple Care, you have support if there are any technical issues. Good luck!
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I recommend the kindle. I own one and love it. It doesn't hurt the eyes at all. Amazon has deals on Kindle and the prices are reasonable.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
madis-hartte
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4542">Fire and Hemlock</a>
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by madis-hartte »

I would also recommend the Kindle. I was given the Fire HD 7 for my birthday a few years ago. I really enjoy it, although if I had to pick for myself I'd probably go with the Paperwhite, simply because the Fire has LCD screen and it hurts the eyes late at night. I also don't really use my Kindle for anything other than reading books, so the extra bells and whistles that the Fire has is unnecessary for me. Is nice if you're into tablets, though.
mhodgman9
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by mhodgman9 »

I have a Kindle and I absolutely love it! I also have the amazon kindle app on my tablet so I can read from both. Still, there is something I enjoy about turning pages, highlighting, etc. in an actual paper copy of a book. Overall I love the convenience of purchasing on my kindle whenever I want.
zhodgman
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by zhodgman »

I would highly recommend the kindle fire. My wife and I have these and they are just the right size. Not too big yet not too small that ot strains the eyes. With the settings of increasing font sizes and background colors, it makes it worthwhile. If you have a smartphone, you can download the kindle app and log into your account and all of your books will transfer over so that you can read from your phone as well.
bh2win
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bh2win.html

Post by bh2win »

Ask yourself these two questions first before you plan on buying an e-reader.

A) Do you want to read without distractions? If yes, get a Nook or Kindle Paperwhite (I LOVE MY PAPERWHITE).

B) If you want distractions such as e-mail, Web Browsing, FB, should you get a tablet instead? Kindle Fire and iPads would fall under this category.

The big thing about the Paperwhite's is their battery lasts for weeks, you don't have to charge it often if you don't want to. The other devices you probably have to charge every few days.

There's a lot more to the devices and both have pros and cons, you just need to decide how you want to use it.
bh2win
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bh2win.html

Post by bh2win »

You should decide whether or not you want to use your device as a reader or something with distractions. What I mean is that Kindle Paperwhites and Nooks are specifically for reading, they do not have apps like the Kindle Fire's or iPads.

If you want e-mail, FB or other apps you can use on your device then go with a Kindle Fire or iPad; if you solely want to read then go with a Kindle Paperwhite or Nook. I love the Paperwhite, it's incredible. Both of the two types of devices have their pros and cons, it just depends on what you want.
Nina B
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nina-b.html
Reading Device: B00OZTU156

Post by Nina B »

While I love my kindle, I would honestly get something like an Ellipses or some other android tablet (ipads are fine too but I personally dont care for apple). When you have a tablet that isn't specifically nook or kindle you can get both of the apps and have a wider range of books to choose from
DennisK
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Currently Reading: Light in August
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennisk.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
fav_author_id: 3559

Post by DennisK »

I was faced with this same question last month. I had a Nook, but it was one of the first models, and it did not have a very good dictionary. I ended up not getting a reader, but bought a mini Ipad. I loaded the Kindle, Nook, and Ibook applications into it. The Nook App is difficult to use as the touch screen isn't very responsive – when I want to use the dictionary. The Kindle and Ibook Apps work just fine. Its battery doesn't last as long as some of the Kindle readers, but it can do all kinds of kool things like notify me when I get a new Email or brows the internet .. many of the things a regular computer can do. What I really like about these electronic books is that when I come to a word that is new to me, all I have to do is touch the word on the screen, and a pop-up appears with the definition of the word. It also gives me an option to look the word up on the internet, listen to how the word is pronounced, and it even can translate it into another language. I can highlight the word and it will keep a list all the words I highlighted so that I can review them later.
seasickseahorse
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seasickseahorse.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by seasickseahorse »

I bought the first Gen kindle paperwhite three years ago and it's still working beautifully even with daily use. I always recommend it for those who strictly want an eReader rather than a tablet.
TeaAndSpooks
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 50187">The Girl from the Well</a>
Currently Reading: The Bionics
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teaandspooks.html
Latest Review: "Fantasy or Reality" by Ruth Andrews Garnes

Post by TeaAndSpooks »

I personally really like paper books, but I too am considering getting an e-reader for traveling and work. From what I have read on here, people really like Kindle. But I don't want a tablet, like...I JUST want the book part. So is the Kindle Paperwhite a good option for that? I think I heard about one that runs on solar power? Is that true and if so, which one was that? (Or did I just imagine it haha)

Love all the good advice!
Latest Review: "Fantasy or Reality" by Ruth Andrews Garnes
ZeroChill
Currently Reading: 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zerochill.html
Latest Review: "My Boogie board ride to Denmark" by Tedd Wallace

Post by ZeroChill »

I would recommend getting a kindle. It is good for the eyes, you can clearly see and read it even in the sun
Latest Review: "My Boogie board ride to Denmark" by Tedd Wallace
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12473
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

AJ Bruns wrote: 06 Nov 2015, 18:50 I have never owned an E Reader before, and since so many people love them and Christmas is coming soon, I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations? Which brand should I invest in? Which brands personally hurt your eyes? What are good prices for a Kindle or a Nook?

Any feedback you have is much appreciated! :)
If you have a smartphone, you can download ereader Prestigio app on Google Play Store. You don't need to buy another gadget.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

I am a fan of Kindle myself. I'd go for thr Paperwhite if battery life is something you value more.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”