Reading ebooks

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Hippykitty
Bookshelf Size: 0

Reading ebooks

Post by Hippykitty »

Does anyone read ebooks? I have some downloaded onto my laptop, but somehow the experience of reading onscreen isn't the same as curling up with a book. Also the glare from the screen makes my eyes ache after a while.
Has anyone successfully mastered this? Or know of any reasonably priced gadgets I can put downloaded books onto which will make the experience more pleasurable.
bibliolatrist

Post by bibliolatrist »

*bump*

I want to know too -- I saw a palm book or whatever it is online; I just don't know if I can give up the experience of buying and holding a book -- does anyone have one of these and can report on the experience? I'd love to know...
notrorygilmore

Post by notrorygilmore »

I don't have any e-books and I don't really plan to purchase any. For me, I love being able to curl up on my bed, in a hammock, or wherever is comfortable at the time, and become enthralled in my book. I don't think sitting at a computer screen and reading would really do much. Sure, the book is still great. I just can't see me sitting at a computer and constantly scrolling. I think it would make me aggravated and annoyed. Granted, if this was the only option I had when it came to reading, I would take it in a heartbeat. I would much rather be uncomfortable and be able to read, than have no written word at all. While I still have multiple options on how I read my books, I'm choosing the actual hard copy of the book itself, in my hands.
lifelongreader

Post by lifelongreader »

I have a Palm and sometimes read books on that - it is not the same as curling up with a book, which I prefer, but it works for me in the summer as I do not have to travel with loads of books.

At the minute I am reading an online book, and that is really cool.
Hippykitty

Post by Hippykitty »

One advantage of ebooks is that many out of copyright books are free, for example from the Gutenberg Project. Rare books are available this way also.

I've begun experimenting with speedreading software. At the moment I'm using a trial version of AceReader, which makes reading ebooks more fun.

Will probably start a thread concerning speedreading.
Weave

Post by Weave »

I never have, but I would like too x
Gangrene

Post by Gangrene »

You now, I have a good program for on screen reading. The main principle is that the text is moving down with the certain speed that you choose. Also, as far as I know the settings are optimized for comfort reading, so you just push the button and the text is flying. You don't need to turn the pages over. You even can eat or listen to music at once. Quite useful thing. I use it for at least 7 years.
Ice Book Reader. Russian program. I could give you the link for download. If you want. :)
sam_clark

Post by sam_clark »

Its certainly not enjoyable reading them on the PC for long lengths of time.
If I just HAVE to read it, I'll print it out.
asiandivergal

Post by asiandivergal »

I read eBooks all the time, compared with physical books, due to my heavy travel schedule and heavy luggage. It's not the same as reading physical books, but it works perfectly for my current lifestyle (i can't lug 1000+ books around in my luggage, but I can on my laptop and PDA.

I also like the privacy of reading electronically - I can now read certain genres on my PDA and not have the whole world know what I'm reading (e.g. erotic romances etc) :wink:

I also love the Irex Iliad - an ebook reader - which uses electronic paper - it reads and feels like paper - and is perfect for those who still prefer the touch and feel of paper - but which now combines the latest technology.
NSUSA

Post by NSUSA »

I only read ebooks that were meant to be ebooks. They are usually short and to the point. I do not read full books that have been transferred to ebook format. It is not comfortable to sit on a computer chair staring at a screen for hours just to read a long story.
booklover85

Post by booklover85 »

I couldn't read an ebook. I like having a book in my hands, laying on my bed or across a chair on campus and flipping the pages. I would have to drag around my laptop any time I wanted to read a book.
AstonWest

Post by AstonWest »

Being a writer, I tend to use my laptop in various different places for that purpose, which entails reading manuscripts on a computer screen for long periods of time. Reading on a screen doesn't bother me.

I once read a manuscript from another author (for whom I was giving a critique) on a PDA. The only trouble I had then was in trying to keep track of where I was when I turned it off.

I'll likely start reading e-books once I get some free time to read again. That might be a while.
knightss

Post by knightss »

i recently received a sony e-book reader =)
it looks like paper, reads like a book. it has a slot for a memory card (i have a 4gb memory card) it can literally hold hundreds and hundreds of books. i recommend it to anyone who travels a lot or desires to have a plethora of books on the go =)
i love it =)
(it can also play music and you can view pictures, txt files, .pdf's, etc.)
"Words can be like x-rays, if you use them properly - they'll go through anything. You read and you're pierced." - Huxely
thejollyroger

Post by thejollyroger »

I usually get so busy during the day that I, regrettably, have a hard time fitting in some time to actually read. So, even though they can never replace the real thing, I really like ebooks. There are these two websites that I've come across that email me books, reminding me to take a couple minutes for myself. I use http://www.dailyreader.net, which is really slick and customizable. I've also used http://www.dailylit.com, which has a ton of different books. Anyways, I think these types of sites are really helpful to me. Has anyone come across any other sites like this?
book_reader

Post by book_reader »

knightss wrote:i recently received a sony e-book reader =)
it looks like paper, reads like a book. it has a slot for a memory card (i have a 4gb memory card) it can literally hold hundreds and hundreds of books. i recommend it to anyone who travels a lot or desires to have a plethora of books on the go =)
i love it =)
(it can also play music and you can view pictures, txt files, .pdf's, etc.)
That's something I would love to have. How heavy is it? And how good is the battery life? Can you highlight certain part of the text? I mean bookmarking etc.?

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”