Reading ebooks

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
seymmarc
Currently Reading: The Nun
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seymmarc.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Re: Reading ebooks

Post by seymmarc »

Since joining OBC and having access to the eBooks on here, I've begun downloading them on my Kobo Glo. I prefer it much more than my laptop because I can turn the backlight off so it doesn't hurt my eyes. I also have a little case on it that has a light attached to make reading easier. It's made me a lot more comfortable with eBooks.
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 773
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

I feel ya! I certainly experiencing similar issues. 8)
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
Amanda Nixon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nixon.html
Latest Review: Saving Grace by Kathryn Garten

Post by Amanda Nixon »

The only thing I've come up with is to read on the e reader for a while and then before my eyes can get tired and itchy, I switch to a hard copy of another book for a while and then go back
Amanda Nixon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nixon.html
Latest Review: Saving Grace by Kathryn Garten

Post by Amanda Nixon »

booklover85 wrote: 28 Nov 2007, 19:27 I couldn't read an ebook. I like having a book in my hands, laying on my bed or across a chair on campus and flipping the pages. I would have to drag around my laptop any time I wanted to read a book.
I also love just having a book in hand. Although I have to admit that I find ebooks convenient and do love them as well. But I don't think I will ever love them as much as print books
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I get books on my Kindle when I want to listen to the book while working around the house. The computer voice drives my husband crazy, but I don't mind. Most books I still like to hold in my hand though.
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

I love the feel of a paper book. I always purchase hard copies of my favorites. However, if I can't sleep and want to read, I don't want to turn on a light and disturb my husband. I've gotten in the habit of setting my kindle screen to white on black and setting the brightness really low. This way, it doesn't hurt my eyes, it's not horribly bright in the room, and I can still enjoy reading a good book in the middle of the night. During the daytime, I set my kindle to Sepia and the brightness isn't too jarring.
catherinecsoto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catherinecsoto.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by catherinecsoto »

I have been reading ebooks for three years now. I rarely get my hands on physical copies because I get so much comfort from reading through my phone! There are no hard reading positions, no need for bookmarks, you can highlight for your notes (which is something I would never do to my physical copy just because!), and you can read at night with the lights off (bye bye lampshades!)

I used to not like the idea of reading ebooks since it takes away the experience of holding an actual book, even smelling it (omg), and all that stuff about collecting them. But then you’ll never know which way you prefer to read a book until you’ve tried both.
Northernbird84
Currently Reading: The Crossing
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-northernbird84.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Post by Northernbird84 »

I prefer ebooks now. I have a kindle and my phone so I can take my books everywhere I go. You can carry literally hundreds and always have access to more. A literal library in your pocket.

The initial draw for me was since breaking my wrist in 2007 I've struggled to hold books for long periods of time making it. My kindle is so lightweight it really doesn't bother me.

However I still have two book shelves crammed full of books and collections that I wont ever get rid of.

I don't think the format matters, it is the words that are important :idea:
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
Oulababe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oulababe.html
Latest Review: Invisible Me by H M Irwing

Post by Oulababe »

I would also like to know because it's hard to curl up in a bed with a laptop.
ems2
Currently Reading: Political Dirty Trick
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ems2.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by ems2 »

I read all kinds of books on my tablet. I think once you get used to it, it might change the way you feel. There is a significant amount of literature out there i.e., classics to the present day.
Jronald
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jronald »

I have read a lot of it but i stop when i feel that my eyes always teary... Feels like its damage... So maybe books are better but today gadgets are always used!
Ruthy Bisieri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ruthy Bisieri »

Yes, some of us actually use kindleand wattpad pretty much :lol: . Personally I find e-books much affordable than a Hardcopy Book. I know a couple of students and young people in Kenya who prefer ebooks to buying a Book. I personally think it's because you can get free books especially when you are broke and a lower price if you decide to buy one.
They may not be the most comfortable to read since your eyes get tired with time, but they sure are affordable. I am so used to reading ebooks nowadays and honestly, I actually enjoy each read. :techie-studyinggray:
lisalynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalynn.html
Latest Review: Sex on every Paige by Graham Spaid

Post by lisalynn »

I am used to reading and writing on my computer, so the Kindle wasn't a big jump for me. I like it, but I like reading eBooks on my iPad the best. It's a little bigger and brighter.
imSunshine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imsunshine.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by imSunshine »

yes because they are easy to access
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Yeah. They're easier on my eyes and somehow I read faster with them? I can't really explain that one.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”