Schools using tablets instead of books

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 169
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: NOAH by Naazir Aram Musa

Re: Schools using tablets instead of books

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

I like the idea of tablets in the classroom, but not to replace books. I think paper books are really important for young students. It's not the same to read on a tablet. However, tablets are great learning tools in other ways.
StaceyB
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-staceyb.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by StaceyB »

I think tablets have a place in schools, but they should not replace all books. The extended screen time leads to poorer vision and most research shows that comprehension and retention of materials are better with a traditional book. But for a reluctant reader a tablet can be the hook to get them interested. As much as screen time harms vision, for students with vision problems a tablet allows them to control text size and contrast allowing them to increase their reading time without eye fatigue. For students who aren't reading at grade level, they can read without peers seeing their book choice. A tablet removes the"stigma" of reading being uncool. So while I value an actual book more than an e-reader, I value developing a love of reading more over with choice. Schools should have multiple options available for students.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

I'm still a fan of the good old fashion textbooks for school, but if the students seemed disciplined enough to manage having a tablet and using it for what they are supposed to, this would probably be a good idea. Possibly would be good as something to introduce to students who are taking Honors classes. That would prove to be a good test.
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
ZandraLynn
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zandralynn.html

Post by ZandraLynn »

I was a senior when they started this trend. I completely disagree with the idea of tablets being used instead of books. I don't think it is good for the brain. I believe that kids learn better and the information sticks better when they have to be hands on while searching though a history book for an answer to homework. Everytihng is technology now which is why they are doing it, I understand maybe on or two techno classes for basic knowledge, but to replace libraries and books in school? Proposterous. It made me hate school.
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

My primary school just introduced tablets!! For kids who are like 5 years old!! Thats extreme. It's understandable in High school, but primary school?!
13Vulpes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-13vulpes.html
Latest Review: 28 Disastrous Dates: A (Mostly True) Humourous Memoir by Poppy Mortimer

Post by 13Vulpes »

I think that tablets can be good thing for school children but there are many additional conditions. And I don´t think that books should be completely replaced by tablets. It will be a long road before everything will be OK.
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

Well...i am a student and have gotten bored of staring into the dull textbooks. But if you want to know which one is better for the students then that will be textbooks. Textbooks are cheaper and tablets may cause a lot of distraction. In short there are pros and cons of both.
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
Ashley 1820
Currently Reading: Rebecca
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-1820.html

Post by Ashley 1820 »

I am gonna go with the traditional books.Tablets may harm the eyesight of the studentss.I personally love the paper books.Brings a different feeling in me.....:)
Genaaa
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-genaaa.html
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera

Post by Genaaa »

Again, I think it's all preference as tere are positives and negatives to both sides of the argument. Having all the books on tablets helps the students keep track of them all and lessens the chance of damaging them(ripped pages, ect.)
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera
writing45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writing45.html

Post by writing45 »

A natural evolution :arrow:
Jsaman

Post by Jsaman »

My daughter's school uses both, which I'm fine with. Regular books can be very heavy for student's to carry, but tablets can offer a lot of distractions. I feel as long as good safeguards are in place, they should be fine.
Arechols12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arechols12.html

Post by Arechols12 »

I use to teach at a school that gave iPads to our students. It worked really good (aside from lost/stolen/damage issues) in many subjects. However in English it was not useful at all. I spent more time teaching my kids how to use the features than discussing the book. I prefer an actual book in the classroom.
ebeth
Currently Reading: The Color of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebeth.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B0097BEFA4

Post by ebeth »

I think it's a tossup because yes kids should learn how to use a tablet but with strict rules of course, however, with also still keeping the old tradition of them reading a book.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
dovilearlikeviciute
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dovilearlikeviciute.html

Post by dovilearlikeviciute »

To my mind adding tablets to students life has two sides - the good one and the bad one. The advantages of the tablet in daily usage is that children has less books to carry, they can't forget their books at home, they can read whenever they want and where they want, they are introducing themeselves to the IT age. But there are much more disadvantages. Like the time that student is spending with devices like tablet, kindle, phone, pc, ipods and other electronic things. One more bad thing is that the teacher will not see if the student is really reading what she told, he can be playing games, or watching something in silence. There can also be problems with charging the tablets, when half of the school will be charging them, will it still be ok with electricity in the building? The cost of the tablet and the books. The school will not buy neither. So if the kid comes from poor family, what can he do? Be dissmissed, have no friend, be bullied? It is just sad.
Yes we are saving trees, but we should also save our electricity, other recourses. So I think that it would be bad to take tablets to school.
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks »

I know tablets are more lightweight but I think that schools should stick to regular books because I think it helps with retention.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”