Schools using tablets instead of books

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Jennz123
Favorite Author: Alastair Reynolds
Favorite Book: Ender’s Game
Currently Reading: The Party Crasher
Bookshelf Size: 2232
fav_author_id: 11570

Re: Schools using tablets instead of books

Post by Jennz123 »

They are convenient and practical. I remember how heavy my school bag was with all those text books.
rodina1709
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by rodina1709 »

yes, schools should use tablets instead of book . now the books are Havier than before because we are in 2019 it means that the education improved so people are getting smarter and discovering more things , all the things that the people discovered are recorded and written on the books . I mentioned that we are in 2019 it means that the world is modern or getting modern so why don't we as a humans get modern too.
jkmalik

Post by jkmalik »

Jennz123 wrote: 02 Jun 2019, 07:15 They are convenient and practical. I remember how heavy my school bag was with all those text books.
I do agree with this, but it does make me sad that a lot of schools have eliminated school libraries altogether. One of my friends is a teacher, and they don't have a school library at her school.
SimalKhan

Post by SimalKhan »

Well, I guess books are more good than a tablets. As school age is a growing age of children and their brain is also developing at this age so the rays coming out from the tablets are not good for them. It is dangerous for their brains. So tablets should be used but after a certain age like colleges and universities as technology development is also necessary for students nowadays.
DD129
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dd129.html
Latest Review: The Message? by Avam Hale

Post by DD129 »

While books have a value that can't be replaced, tablets are just more convenient and accessible. All you need is a connection and the internet or app that the material is stored in. No more hauling books around and having a chance of forgetting them. Of course, tablets have their fair share of drawbacks. They could malfunction and that would be costly, for one. Because of this, I think they should be used when necessary. Not all classes would benefit from tablets, and it would be an enormous expense to stock every classroom with tablets.
Leyla Ann
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Call Me by Your Name
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla-ann.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Leyla Ann »

Truth be told, I don't think of that as a good upgrade.
People who read are hiders. They hide who they are. People who hide don't always like who they are.
Falling4Ever
Currently Reading: Titans
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falling4ever.html
Latest Review: G.E.M.S. by Daphne Valcourt

Post by Falling4Ever »

It really depends of the situation. I know some private schools already implement it. The idea is nice, but many public schools don't have that kind of money.
Amy Murdoch Coleman
Favorite Book: Circe
Currently Reading: Hannah's War
Bookshelf Size: 6988
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-murdoch-coleman.html
Latest Review: Caretaker by George Farrell

Post by Amy Murdoch Coleman »

As a high school teacher, tablets and one-to-one laptops have been absolutely wonderful. Instead of sending kids home with forty pounds of books, they can take home one device. Of course, they have to learn that getting distracted by the device will have consequences, but that's all part of growing up.
mariam_adeks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by mariam_adeks »

Tablets are a good mode of education however it offers more distraction except if uasge is restricted by monitoring. So, books may have to suffice for the kids.
Amanda Nicole Newton
Currently Reading: East Wind, 2nd Edition
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nicole-newton.html
Latest Review: Shadow's Adventure Home by Kathy Kovar

Post by Amanda Nicole Newton »

I think that it depends on the child and the age. For younger kids, definitely paper books. For older kids, some may not have the means to sustain charging the tablet and affording Wi-Fi to connect to. Not everyone has these kind of luxuries. Physical books kind of even the playing field a bit.
Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are.”
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: A Walk Through the Grapes by David Jackson

Post by Honest-reviewer »

I still prefer physical books for writing and that is how I want it to be. For me tablets are good just for reading.
But these days the kids are more comfortable using tablets I guess.
EmmaZ
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmaz.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by EmmaZ »

While I know people who have many complaints against using tablets instead of books, I can find more pros than cons to it. I remember the strain it was to have to walk all the way home with the weight of several heavy books on my back, and I think it an advantage to be able to have all of the books inside a single device. I also think that students, especially young children benefit more from tablets as they are a more visual and interactive way of learning that is more appealable to them.
Xenolyph
Currently Reading: Flowers in the Attic
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xenolyph.html
Latest Review: Shepherds of Destiny by Kiel Barnekov
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by Xenolyph »

The schools around my area are already replacing textbooks with electronic versions. I can see how that method can be useful, given that students don't have to carry heavy books around in their backpacks. However, I did research on a study of learning on a tablet vs. a book and the results were that students tend to learn more when reading from a hard copy. There are benefits to both sides. For the ease of transportation (if students need to carry books to school), I think they should have tablets. However, if they are keeping the books at home, a hard copy would be more beneficial regarding education.
aruntr2001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aruntr2001.html
Latest Review: Theatre of Racial Conflict by Bunmi Popoola

Post by aruntr2001 »

I partially disagree this as kids will lose the art of reading and it also will not help them in keeping the things they read into a long term memory. While it is easy for the school to manage the students by using the e books but it could be done partially and only after a certain age.
yapashley
Currently Reading: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yapashley.html
Latest Review: Oblivion Threshold by J.R. Mabry and B.J. West

Post by yapashley »

It's very convenient to use tablets instead of books for resources. As a student, it's difficult to bring a lot of books to the school campus. Using a tablet, it greatly helps in the load.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”