Schools using tablets instead of books

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
HailKingEbi
Currently Reading: The Notebook
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hailkingebi.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Re: Schools using tablets instead of books

Post by HailKingEbi »

the world is Global, technology has taken over. it's a good idea to incorporate the knowledge into children. The use of tablets in schools is a good idea. and it'll be more fun for the kids.
We're all puppets, Laurie. I'm just a puppet who can see the strings - Doctor Manhattan.
prayz_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by prayz_ »

I think tablets are a distraction, they should stick to books but also teach technology
Choine
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-choine.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by Choine »

There have been studies on learning from electronic sources versus printed books. It has been proven that people retain more information when reading words on paper rather than on a screen. Kids today already have electronics 24/7. It won't hurt to make them read from textbooks instead of iPads and such. Plus, textbooks don't have batteries to worry about.
langenbrat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-langenbrat.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Post by langenbrat »

I will always have both. Technology advances and kids need to know how to maneuver it. However, there's nothing like your child in your lap while you read a classic from your childhood to them. It's a current issue as I have a first grader who is addicted to screens.
Ak1412
Currently Reading: Reawakened
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ak1412.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Ak1412 »

My instinctive reaction to stand up for paper books. Three big issues do make we sway towards ebooks though.
1.) They can help people save money.
2.) They are lighter and won't strain the backs of students as much.
3.) We need to stop using so many paper products to help protect the environment.
TopaAzul062
Favorite Book: Cartouches, Field Guide and Identification Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topaazul062.html
Latest Review: Basic Training for the Self-Publishing Battlefields by Lewis Kempfer

Post by TopaAzul062 »

I prefer paper books and don't mind tablets, to an extent, being used in school. Yes tablets help make learning fun but there are some kids that are a little to clever for their own good and will find a way around safe guards to keep them on track.
Doris Hudson
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Doris Hudson »

With economies like those in Africa,tablets are a huge punch.Sticking to paper books would be the help needed to gratify academics.
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

I am old-fashioned. I believe that kids should have books. While computers are nice to write with and make corrections on written papers, there is nothing that can take the place of a real book.
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
Eclecticmama
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Currently Reading: Chasing Fireflies
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eclecticmama.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 4314

Post by Eclecticmama »

When I was in elementary school, around '95-2000, it was mandatory for us to do computer classes, and with our world being run by technology today, I am grateful that I was able to learn at a young age instead of having to adapt like my parents and grandparents. I think schools will never totally get rid of books, it would be impractical. But kids learning how to use the technology available to us is crucial in their development today, in my opinion. If they were able to use tablets instead of having to haul around heavy text books, more power to them. That was the worst part of school, having to carry several large textbooks on my back everyday.
colorsparkle
Currently Reading: Becoming
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-colorsparkle.html
Latest Review: The Land of Sunshine and Hell by Maxene Raices

Post by colorsparkle »

My school does this, and even though I love having all my files together and easy to carry, I wouldn’t say we need to always use them. Some situations that bother me are when we get a pdf copy of a book for English or do our math on the screen.
Julie Petitbon
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Currently Reading: Becoming Michele Obama
Bookshelf Size: 699
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-petitbon.html
Latest Review: Sophia Violet and the Fiery Orb by Evangeline Greene
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Julie Petitbon »

Using tablets is a good way to introduce students to the tech savvy society they live in. On top of that, tablets are way lighter than traditional textbooks, and they can do more. I think there are a lot more advantages than disadvantages to having students use tablets.
Jlprince26
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jlprince26.html
Latest Review: A Kingdom Forgotten by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by Jlprince26 »

I haven't seen my children bring home a book in a long time.. They have basically converted to tablets, and computers. Where we live you are just about required to have a computer or tablet at home with internet access for them to do their homework. Frankly, it is aggravating. Not everyone can afford such things. I have been on that side of the tracks. When I first moved here, I had no clue how my children would do their homework. They basically had to get done what they could while they were still at school.

I really feel like it is setting up a lot of children for failure, simply because not everyone can afford to have the internet and provide devices capable of accessing the school's site. That being said, books absolutely should be continued in schools for educational purposes!!!
- "Our children learn from us, teach them well, teach them to read, let them be free, and most importantly let them be children." Jamie Prince
magnoparisi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnoparisi.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's Aftermath of War by Greg Kater

Post by magnoparisi »

Tablets are completely un-necessary and terrible to kids' health. Tablet PCs are a huge distraction, and cannot be controlled. Anything that you could do to an Android or IOS tablet to limit it's usage can easily be undone. I fully support the traditional method of teaching.
ChillyBookworm
Currently Reading: Dangerous Liaisons
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by ChillyBookworm »

I think there are pros and cons of both.

For children, books are ideal because if they drop them or get them a bit wet it doesn't matter. They're much less expensive too and don't need to be charged. However, tablets can hold many books in very little physical space, and in a technology-driven world it's probably beneficial for the children to get used to using such devices.

Personally, like many others here, I prefer real books. My high school actually got rid of its library a few years ago while my younger brother was still there and part of me died inside :cry2:
Lady-of-Literature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-of-literature.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Lady-of-Literature »

I think it is a good idea. Its replacement of updated books can be done smoothly and quickly, and if students need to travel with the textbook I imagine they would appreciate it not being so heavy. Plus, it introduces how to navigate new technology early on. I'm in favor of it.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”