Schools using tablets instead of books

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Erik
Currently Reading: Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
Bookshelf Size: 10

Re: Schools using tablets instead of books

Post by Erik »

I see the place for both...

But for situations where the content is very important for retention, I'd sooner have a book. For some reason, I just don't retain what I read on screen the same way as I do when I read it in a book.

Plus, especially for young kids... tablets are costly, and kids are often clumsy, heedless, or irresponsible with items given them by their school (doubly so if the child dislikes school). While it may cost only £10 to replace a commonly used book from the reading list, or £20-50 to replace a primary school textbook, to replace a broken tablet is usually over £150, often far more.
Texts can be used over and over again for years, even decades (I remember some of the books I was using as a kid were published/printed 20 or more years before I got my hands on them), but a tablet only has a relatively short span of useful life before it no longer has the memory or processor speed to run recent programs. It also costs a lot more to repair a tablet than it does a book... clear sellotape is cheap, a brand new screen to replace a cracked one is costly!

And the argument that books are too heavy for kids to drag around really holds zero credit with me. If today's kids are so unfit that they can't carry a backpack full of texts, than they need to skip some screen time and go outside and exercise! Kids always managed carrying texts to and from school before now.. I had between 5 and 7 most of the time, and I was born with back problems. I find it tough to believe that non-disabled kids are now so physically debilitated that they can't do something a disabled kid found easy enough to do 40 years ago. Just because something causes mild effort or discomfort does not mean it is bad. We should not be trying to shelter kids from everything remotely difficult.
EmperorOfBooks
Currently Reading: the wicked will rise
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emperorofbooks.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by EmperorOfBooks »

Tablets are always a plus when textbooks are limited. Although I prefer reading off of a textbook, I'll have to settle for whatever is being used.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I think that it should be optional for students to use tablets if they want. I don't think they should completely take out books though. Physical books are traditional and we have to ensure that it is still something that exists in later generations. I believe in a hybrid classroom where we embrace new technology but still keep some of our traditional ways as well.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
raeryn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raeryn.html
Latest Review: The Prize by Geoffrey M Cooper

Post by raeryn »

I think it depends on the budget of the school. Using tablets can be easier, having more options for books and saves on storage and time sometimes. However, personally, I always find using the hardcopy textbook easier and less distracting, though I like the option of a soft copy (especially when it comes to novels; it makes things easier for quoting and bookmarking).
Chitopogi
Currently Reading: the marvelous adventures of gwendolyn gray
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chitopogi.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Chitopogi »

Hannaa_Campbell wrote - I, for one, hate reading off-of tablets, why not stick to good'ol fashioned books? They're cheaper than tablets, so I don't see the need for the change?
Yes indeed. Books are cheaper than a tablet. But imagine how many books you need to buy. And how many trees were cut down just to make those books? I am sure the lack of those trees is causing havoc on our weather, like floods and El Nino phenomenon. And how heavy those textbooks are? Just imagine lugging around a large heavy bag? Many postural problems were caused by these heavy school bags. In the end it would be far cheaper and more convenient to use tablets for school than it is to buy the books.
ifeoma obike
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ifeoma-obike.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by ifeoma obike »

Books will be much better for kids than tablets mainly because of the fact that kids will be easily distracted with tablets and that will be hard for teachers to manage. A child will be more focused on his studies with books than tablets. Books are much cheaper and easy to manage than tablets; kids are naturally careless and clumsy, so it will difficult for them to manage tablets and much more for parents to keep up with the expenses of buying and repairing. The bottom line is that a huge number of kids will be out of school if it is "strictly tablets", because of the costs and maintenance. What will our society turn into with a huge percentage of our future generation uneducated?
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
lilytepait
Currently Reading: A Haunted Murder (A Lin Coffin Mystery Book 1
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by lilytepait »

It's a good choice, but its not good for kids.
why not just stick to books, be educated like normal students must be.
and admit it, its unfair.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

I think tablets would be a better idea because textbooks are pretty heavy to carry around. I think it would also be a cheaper alternative as well. Textbooks are often worth around $100-$200 while a cheap but good tablet would be around $300. In college, it is often cheaper to get the ebook instead of buying the actual book.
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

I think that students should not use tablet instead of printed books. Tablets can harm their eyes whereas, printed books do not cause any harm and they are much easy to read.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
DarleneCabrera
Currently Reading: Trip to Adele
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darlenecabrera.html
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey

Post by DarleneCabrera »

Its very convenient to use tablets since they can store alot of books ou it. But I'd love for schools to juat stick to actual book reading.
Life has a way of testing a person's will, either by nothing happen at all, or by everything happen at once.

-Paulo Coelho
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey
Daris
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daris.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Daris »

Books are better, the tablets can be use to added to optI miss the books
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
jennyd2003
Currently Reading: Kind Nepenthe
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennyd2003.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler

Post by jennyd2003 »

I like the idea of using tablets in school. I think it should be limited though and not always used. There still is something to be said about holding a real book in your hands, turning the pages, and being able to feel it. Also too much screen time is already causing some to not be able to function without a screen in front of them. I think they still need some books and also there are some clumsy kids who could end up going through tablets really fast if that was all they used.

This is my opinion anyway.
Sin24
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sin24.html
Latest Review: "Marrying a Playboy Billionaire" by H M Irwing

Post by Sin24 »

I am neither for or against this argument. I think that both books and tablets have their advantages and their disadvantages
Latest Review: "Marrying a Playboy Billionaire" by H M Irwing
violet-trey19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37

Post by violet-trey19 »

My opinion is good books.
Papercup
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by Papercup »

I wouldn't want to go to school and stare at the screen all day long. I like reading e-books but its only for leisure.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”