Schools using tablets instead of books

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
cookiedough
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cookiedough.html
Latest Review: Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben
fav_author_id: 1778

Re: Schools using tablets instead of books

Post by cookiedough »

A combination of both would be a good idea. Using old fashioned books is probably cheaper in the long run as technology updates quickly and machines become obsolete.
Lia A
Favorite Book: Aurora Rising
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lia-a.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by Lia A »

There are many pros and cons to this. The classes that I take often switch between both online and physical textbooks. Honestly, I prefer physical books unless they are too heavy to take around campus. Digital books are more convenient, as I can access many books without having to carry heavy physical books. I find that physical books are easier to look at for long hours, especially when studying. Sometimes, the classes that I take will allow the student to choose between physical and digital copies. In conclusion, I think a variety of both physical and digital books is a good idea.
readsbyarun
Favorite Book: Wilderness Cry
Currently Reading: Spirituality in the 21st Century
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readsbyarun.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by readsbyarun »

I support this initiative. It is good and also helps in controlling the students in a way that they can streamline to portions that need to be learnt.
Lilyflower-x2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilyflower-x2.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Lilyflower-x2 »

Technology is here to stay. It has done a lot of good especially in third-world countries, that otherwise might not have access to the latest books. It provides a cheaper reading option for schools in such countries. You should see the joy of these kids when presented a tablet, opening their minds to the possibilities that exists beyond their borders.
I am a diehard paperback lover, but I cannot deny the positive impact of technology today.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin
shirleym89
Currently Reading: Mirror, Mirror...?
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirleym89.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by shirleym89 »

While there are some benefits associated with schools using tablets instead of textbooks, there are however certain concerns with regards to this. Firstly, students might be distracted from their school work. I still believe that tablets are a reflection of the new era. Schools should therefore adjusts with the modern era.
amandaabend
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by amandaabend »

I used to feel the same way about introducing technology into the classroom, and then I became a teacher. LOL. I once thought that e-books were in danger of replacing paperbacks, but now I can truly see the value in tablets. True, e-readers decrease the sale of paperback books, but that does not mean that books aren't being sold or read. They are being read just as much, only in a different format! There are tons of benefits that come with digital readers now... it makes annotating easier, and there are options for students and teachers to access materials more quickly, both for learning and grading. Paperbacks will never go out of style, collectors and libraries will always have a market for them, but I also cannot dismiss the benefits of e-reading.
prachi29
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prachi29.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by prachi29 »

I am against the use of tablets in schools. It is not fair to the students who come from a economically weak background.
beatrice_mom

Post by beatrice_mom »

As for me, reading from a tablet is not very good. Firstly, the load on vision is greater than from a regular or e-book. Secondly, the tablet will not last long for reading - the battery will be quickly discharged.
A Y reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-y-reviews.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by A Y reviews »

While a tablet provides for the ability to have a myriad of items and stuffs for the convince of a child, as against carrying heavy bags and all, it does provide a challenge. The teacher may not be quite able to monitor the activity of that child on the tablet unlike paper books.
Sirrah Tahir
Favorite Author: Lewis Kempfer
Favorite Book: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
fav_author_id: 179884

Post by Sirrah Tahir »

It's really amazing to involve technology in classroom learning but the books has its own long lasting impact on students brain .I must say classroom learning must be the blend of both tabs and book. Book reading is very necessary for this generation.
marksm121

Post by marksm121 »

I think most schools are using books. some schools are using tablets as well.
63tty
Favorite Author: Tayma Tameem
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 349
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-63tty.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White
fav_author_id: 199293

Post by 63tty »

I think it is a great idea, despite the many disadvantages. Even books do get lost, spoilt, written on. Some children don't learn well with books, some prefer e-learning, while other books. I think they should at least get the option of both so they can choose. Plus, we are evolving technologically, can't live with books forever :lol:
“If love is the answer, could you rephrase the question?”
~Lily Tomlin
Excel 2021
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-excel-2021.html
Latest Review: Trauma by Cynthia Fridsma

Post by Excel 2021 »

Danielsduo wrote: 14 Jul 2014, 18:37 I'm for tablets after a certain age. I swore I would never own a tablet and the only way to read is a good old fashion book. Right now I am on my third nook upgrade. The weight of a childs backpack can be cut down to next to nothing, if text books, reading assignments, and more were on a tablet. It would also cut way back on the cost of updating, and replacing reading material used in schools. I'm an avid reader..I can take my whole library with me where ever I go! Our kids could do he same with all their school books
I can relate with your line of reasoning.
marksm121

Post by marksm121 »

tablets are good as a point of view of Technology
marksm121

Post by marksm121 »

Our pick. Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (10th generation) The best ebook reader for most people.
Also great. Kobo Clara HD. A non-Kindle option.
Upgrade pick. Kobo Libra H2O. Physical page-turn buttons and a larger screen.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”