Overdrive

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Bookworm0266
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm0266.html
Latest Review: "Other (This title is supposed to have a checkmark in front of it, but the form disallowed it.)" by Cindy Campopiano

Overdrive

Post by Bookworm0266 »

Has anyone used the Overdrive app to access their local library's electronic books? I have it on my tablet and computer. I love it because you can check out books without ever having to remember to turn it back in. You get a two week time limit and so it returns the book after this time. I really like that I do not incur late fees! You can also link your account to multiple libraries so the collection of e-books can get pretty big. Also, you can place an e-book on hold and you will be emailed when it is ready. I just wanted to know the experiences of others with this and qalso to let others know about it.
Latest Review: "Other (This title is supposed to have a checkmark in front of it, but the form disallowed it.)" by Cindy Campopiano
Little House
Favorite Author: Orson Scott Card
Favorite Book: Enders Game or maybe Enders Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-little-house.html
Latest Review: "Chocolate Chip Chelsy" by Angelina Madison
fav_author_id: 2667

Post by Little House »

I love Overdrive. I like to check out audio books to listen to while I do housework or drive and Overdrive has the awsome feature of being able to speed up the reader. I listen to most books at double speed. (If the reader is naturally fast, I might slow it down a little.)

It is so nice to not have to worry about overdue fines. I always seem to have a running tab at our library (I also check out "real" books on a regular basis). Do you use Digital Downloads to find your books? That is who our library is using and they have a large and growing selection of books. I still can't find everything I want, but there is a lot to choose from.
trkdrvr16
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by trkdrvr16 »

I use Overdrive to download audiobooks all the time, I really like it. Dont have to go to the library I can do it while I am out on the road.
Little House

Post by Little House »

trkdrvr16 wrote:I use Overdrive to download audiobooks all the time, I really like it. Dont have to go to the library I can do it while I am out on the road.
Being able to borrow books from the library while away from home is a great advancement of technology. :) If a friend recommends a book, I can request it right then and not have to wait until I am at the library. If I am out of town, I can still get books. I love this new system.
trkdrvr16

Post by trkdrvr16 »

It is a real nice convenience to be able to download the book on your phone or tablet instead of having a bunch of CD 's scattered all over the cab.
xanadu0324
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xanadu0324.html

Post by xanadu0324 »

I, too love Overdrive. I can't link to any other libraries because I don't have cards anywhere else (they all tell me I need to be a resident there...as if!) I did however notice, that you can go into your settings, and if it's a book you're going to take longer to read, instead of renewing it when the time comes (assuming no one else wants it) you can keep the book for up to a month (or 21 days, something like that.) I know when I get into dry spells once in a while, it takes me longer to read a book even if it's interesting, so it helps knowing that the book isn't going to expire mid-read if I don't get a chance to finish.
Little House

Post by Little House »

xanadu0324 wrote:I, too love Overdrive. I can't link to any other libraries because I don't have cards anywhere else (they all tell me I need to be a resident there...as if!) I did however notice, that you can go into your settings, and if it's a book you're going to take longer to read, instead of renewing it when the time comes (assuming no one else wants it) you can keep the book for up to a month (or 21 days, something like that.) I know when I get into dry spells once in a while, it takes me longer to read a book even if it's interesting, so it helps knowing that the book isn't going to expire mid-read if I don't get a chance to finish.
I know what you mean. I have my settings set to allow me to keep the book as long as possible. Then if I finish early, I return it so that someone else can check it out. Because I usually end up with a bunch of books on hold, I sometimes have several come available at once. I check them out and then try to get to them before I have to return/renew them. There have been a few times where I overestimated how much I could read, but usually it works out well.
xanadu0324
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xanadu0324.html

Post by xanadu0324 »

Oh good! Someone else who realizes they can return the book early, also! It actually took me a while to find that out, I felt bad that I was keeping books that I had been done with for DAYS for weeks or longer.

And yes, the books on hold thing always gets me, too. I almost always end up with having 2 or 3 books become available at the same time, then, not only do I have to read them, but I have to figure out which one I want to read first!
CuriousJorgi
Favorite Author: JRR Tolkien
Favorite Book: The Hobbit
Currently Reading: Dorothy Must Die
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-curiousjorgi.html

Post by CuriousJorgi »

My library has Overdrive but I haven't used it yet. I am glad to see good reviews on it. I will have to check it out.
laureng
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laureng.html

Post by laureng »

I love Overdrive! I prefer it over going to the library, though it is annoying when I have to place a hold on the electronic books. The librarian at my library said that is how the publishers wanted to set up checking out the book. Other than that, I have no problems with it.
malime6

Post by malime6 »

I love overdrive. I use acoustiks too -because my library offers both - but I find I use Overdrive more. Now all my library has to do is increase their ebook section and I'll be good.
staceymarie

Post by staceymarie »

As a librarian I use Overdrive a looooooot. It's a great service for patrons, fun and easy to use. They've improved the interface for the apps greatly over the past year and it's a lot more user friendly now. I also use it to stash my other epubs that don't come from the library's vendor. The only thing is I think non-Overdrive epubs do not sync if you have multiple devices. Still tinkering with it. :3
Crysaniarai

Post by Crysaniarai »

i am ashamed to say i was unaware of overdrive until i read your post. my library participates and i'm super excited to try it out! thank you so much for starting this topic!!!
Keirakay
Favorite Author: MarionZimmer Bradley
Favorite Book: Mists of Avalon
Currently Reading: lots- at any given time
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keirakay.html

Post by Keirakay »

I love it!! I just discovered it myself about two weeks ago and I've already read two books and am working on two more! It's wonderful!!

No overdue fees, no trips to the brick & mortar building, if it's not available, putting a hold is as easy as the click of the mouse and you get an email when it's ready, what's not to love? I feel really bad for people who just can't stand e-books, they're really missing out on some awesome benefits!!
Horselover4511
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-horselover4511.html

Post by Horselover4511 »

I love the Overdrive app! I have had it for years now. I like that I can return it right there from the app. I also like that I can get my college library on it, as well as my local library. I have used it more often because I can check out 10 books and have them all on my iPad, with me, wherever I go. I still love physical books but I would look weird carrying 10 books around with me everywhere I went.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”