Ebook or paper book?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
JVanL
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Re: Ebook or paper book?

Post by JVanL »

I do love a good paperback with it's paper texture and heavy weight in my bag. But as a student I personally find it impossible to bring my physical books with me - my school bag does not have space for anything beyond the thinnest books. I reserve physical books for home.

Ebooks, meanwhile, are easily accessed from my laptop and phone, which I already have to bring anyways, and I can carry around pretty much my whole library in ebook format.

But there's nothing like flipping the pages and getting a good paper cut from it.
Bahar kilic
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Bahar kilic »

as we are becoming the slaves of technology ebooks are great wat to encourage people to read. They are easy to carry and we can reach books anytime by the help of ebooks. Even though it has this great opportunities in my opinion paper books have a unique pleasure
_Delly_01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delly-01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by _Delly_01 »

I used to be so against the idea of a Kindle, but now, I've adjusted. I love reading my Kindle in bed, because I can lay on my side and hold it with one hand without getting that goddawful cramp you get from splaying your fingers to hold the pages apart. But there's nothing quite like a physical book. That rasping sound when you turn the page... The smell that makes your head swim...

Hardback, of course. Paperbacks are too easily scuffed or bent our of shape.
Amina-Ibrahim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amina-ibrahim.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin PhD

Post by Amina-Ibrahim »

I didn't like kindle too, but they are cheaper so I had to adapt. But if I have an option, I'll always choose paperback (cuz Hardback is even more expensive).
ljfricker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ljfricker.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by ljfricker »

Although E-books are a great convenience, especially for travel or when reading books that would otherwise be huge tombs (for example, I love my complete works of Shakespeare in three hardback books - but they are big, heavy and have tiny writing, so not the easier things to curl up with in the evening), I still prefer to read real books. I find reading on screens much harder on the eyes and tiring than print, and love the smell and feeling of old books. I do use the Kindle app on my tablet occasionally, (and it comes in handy when on holidays as I always over-pack, so not having to take loads of books too helps) nothing will ever convince me to give up my collection of real life books.
Amber Nichole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amber-nichole.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas
Reading Device: B01J6RPGKG

Post by Amber Nichole »

I would always choose a physical book over an e-book. HOWEVER, I live in a very small town right now. There is no bookstore. The pharmacy and dollar store carry a small selection, such as romance and westerns, but I'm not a terribly big fan of either genre. We have a library, but I am terrible with returning books on time. It's really in all of our best interests if I don't attempt to borrow from them. Therefore, e-books are more convenient for me at this point. I don't have to wait for it to come in the mail; I just hit "buy" or "download" and it's right there.
lilac_coquelicot
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28

Post by lilac_coquelicot »

I prefer ebook
vaundalyn11

Post by vaundalyn11 »

I love paper. I never get a book from the Library because I want to own the book and then give it to someone I know will love it as much as I do. Readers are great on a holiday. I used to take a suitcase full of books on every holiday and this is hundreds of books that fit in my purse.
yellowducky

Post by yellowducky »

To be honest I do not like the "Kindle" for reading books because it hurts my eyes and the reading speed annoys me. I love reading from a book and some books have either small writing or big letters.I like to see the next chapter while I'm reading. :?
Ekta Kumari
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Humanity Must Survive the 21st Century by Theodore Vornicu
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ekta Kumari »

I also love the pleasure of a paper book but would prefer an ebook because of the convenience of it. Been using e-readers for a long time now. I still have paper books, but ebooks are much more accessible whenever I need.
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant
jjingolia
Currently Reading:

Post by jjingolia »

I will always favor paper books over e-books. There is nothing like reading a book in your hands, the smell, the feel, etc. Just imagine the smell of an old paper book and the crunch of the pages. The wear and tear from reading your favorite book a thousand times is something that an e-book can't replicate. Although e-books are on the rise in popularity, I will forever be a paper book kind of gal.
PepperedPenelope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pepperedpenelope.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by PepperedPenelope »

I love both, but think each has a perfect time and place. Some books I absolutely have to hold them to read them - I'm not sure why I just dont enjoy them as much on my kindle.

I stayed away from getting a kindle for a very long time, until I learned that you can rent library books through it! I love the quick access to any book you want. Also the fact that you can get the kindle app on your phone. It completely changed the way I read because now I really can read anywhere - since its on my phone.

But I am also a traditionalist - if I love a book, you bet its sitting comfortably on my bookshelf.
Cheshire_wolf
Favorite Author: J.R. Ward
Favorite Book: Allison's Adventures in Underland
Currently Reading: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheshire-wolf.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00TXSSXJ0
fav_author_id: 4145

Post by Cheshire_wolf »

waniyaahmed wrote: 23 Feb 2013, 11:10 I know there is this hype around ebooks and readers, but honestly speaking I just don't get it! curling up with a good book, especially after a long day is my favourite thing and you just don't get the same feel with the readers. And who doesn't love a full book shelf anyway? What are your thoughts ebook or the real thing?
Real book all the way. I just bought a copy of Watership Down and I just love the smell of paper. Sometimes when I'm reading a book that describes the food really well I can almost smell the aroma wafting off the pages. On the other hand, being able to bring your entire library with you is sometimes hard to do. That's where the ebook comes in handy. So I mean that's the only good thing about them, however, I hate having to re-pay for the book I already own, that is the only downfall of the ebook. If there was a way to scan the book you have then it would be great.
🌺𝔄𝔰𝔭𝔢𝔫 𝔊𝔞𝔯𝔫𝔢𝔯🌺
Issa2507
Currently Reading: Bear Company (Dark Corps) (Volume 1)
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Issa2507 »

Well I was once a paperbook lover, I loved the smell the picking in the bookshop, taking off the clear wrapping. But then, I got a Kindle Paperwhite present for my birthday and I got the Kindle unlimited account set, and Oh man, my life change, don't get me wrong I still love paper books, buy the Kindle have given me the opportunity to know books that are not selled in my country, I have read more than 60 books in a year that otherwise I wouldn't have afforded. And for last I found very practical that I can take my Kindle everywhere without damaging it in my purse like a book. So when I read a book in my Kindle that I absolutely adore, so I look for it and buy it phisically so I can put it on my house bookshelf collection.
Gharbbs

Post by Gharbbs »

Definitely paper book

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”