Ebook or paper book?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
yimei1209
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yimei1209.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Re: Ebook or paper book?

Post by yimei1209 »

The time I feel the happiest is when I'm carrying a bag full of books I just bought in my head, walking home and looking forward to taking up the entire couch and reading them. I'm in love with books and for so long, I felt disgusted by the idea of e-books. I find it really hard to read books on a laptop or phone. I read e-books much slower than paper books and it's so time-consuming and tiring. I read e-books only when I'm doing reviews. But e-books are convenient because my back doesn't hurt from carrying an extra book wherever I go.
CEReader
Currently Reading: Restoring Your Child's Mental Health
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cereader.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by CEReader »

While it is nice to not have to wonder if someone sneezed, coughed, or otherwise left a printed book less than hygienic, reading by electronic device is something I prefer to do as a last result or for convenience when traveling. Technology is fantastic at times, but it has its drawbacks. The following reasons are in no particular order of importance:

*I do not like that to my electronic-wired children, it seems like I am playing on my phone when I am reading a book.

*If I do not like how a book ends or something funky happens that disrupts the flow of a story, I cannot throw my phone against the wall in disgust like I would with a physical book.

*There is something special about turning the pages in a book, some feeling of connection or having been part of something.

*I have to make sure that I am plugged into an outlet or have enough juice to fire up my electronic reader.

*My game notifications on my phone, sometimes leads to distracting me from reading my electronic book.

*I am confused whether digital pages are the same as the pages in the printed book.

*If it can be done, I do not know how to hold my page in one place, while going to another place in the electronic book.
Jeni_D19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeni-d19.html
Latest Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Jeni_D19 »

I love the feel and smell of a new book. I love turning pages and running them between my fingers while I read. However, for convenience when traveling or simply waiting in a doctor’s office, you can’t beat an EBook. I used to use my Kindle, but now I download my books to the Kindle app on my IPad mini. I can also use other apps to read from and I can immediately post comments here all from my IPad. Though my love of holding a book will never diminish, I now favor convenience over sentiment.
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

Paper books are very beautiful, and they smell really good. However, e-books are more compact and useful. I can store thousands of books in a laptop and carry them anywhere.
kath13_sake
Currently Reading: A Wrinkle in Time
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kath13-sake.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by kath13_sake »

A book is a book; no matter what form it comes it is still a book. What matters most are the content and the satisfaction you get from it. But somehow there are pros and cons in using e-book and paperback. For an instance, the book you were reading is more than a hundred pages. It is bulky to carry and will take space on your bag. Compare to e-book which was stored on your device, you can carry them and read them anywhere without having much trouble. The inconvenient thing about e-book is what if you were travelling and your device runs out of power, and you don’t have your charger or power bank with you. Both have inconveniences but it doesn’t matter, I use both. As I have said, a book is a book and as long as I am enjoying its content it doesn’t matter what form it comes.
paigegreenpurba
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paigegreenpurba.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by paigegreenpurba »

I much prefer the real deal. The smell, feel and look are all much better than an e-reader. Navigating through the pages is also much easier with a real book. That being said, I read almost exclusively from my e-reader now because I move and travel so much that lugging around a library of books is impractical.

One day I'll settle down and happily stock a room full of bookshelves, but until then I can't live without my e-reader!
jncanard
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jncanard »

My mother taught me to read at 3 years old and since that time I’ve enjoyed almost nothing as much as opening up a new book and beginning that first page. There is just something about holding that physical object in your hands and not knowing what may be inside or where it might take you. Don’t get me wrong I’ve read my fair share of ebooks as well but the little girl inside of me will always want to turn the pages.
Paisleysmama

Post by Paisleysmama »

Paper book's are everything. You can see the thickness and follow the word's a lot better. If you were to read an Ebook the pages would turn when you barley touch the screen. It just is better keep some things "old school".
Eclecticmama
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Currently Reading: Chasing Fireflies
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eclecticmama.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 4314

Post by Eclecticmama »

I grew up with three 8 foot shelves full of storybooks as a teenager, and let me tell you, as an adult with two little kids and a parrot who loves to chew, ebooks are the way to go if you are a big fiction reader like me.
They don’t take up space, I can have all the books I want at my fingertips, and they cannot be destroyed!
Now as far as biographies and non fiction, I prefer a physical copy, because I can easily flip back to a page to see a picture in reference to what a particular passage was discussing.
Hasham

Post by Hasham »

Paper! Definitely want the feeling of a massy object resting on my lap forcing my neck to bend down and my nostrils to smell the perfect scent of paper
DejaDupe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dejadupe.html
Latest Review: Purpose by Gina Bianchini

Post by DejaDupe »

I really do love the feel of books because you know how much of the book is left and it's easier to gauge how long it will take you to read. It's also extremely satisfying to read a book and finish it. But when necessary, I pull out a flashlight to read in the dark. I've read from my family's ipad a couple of times but didn't like how the bright screen hurt my eyes. I only use my phone to read webcomics and such. So overall, books are better.
Anindya W
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anindya-w.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Anindya W »

I prefer paper or physical books because it doesn't strain my eyes and I'd like to think of it as a way to reduce radiation exposure from computers, cell phones or tablets. I read an article once and it is said that cell phones has low level radiation. It might not be harmful but its best to minimise exposure when possible.
Benjatarn George

Post by Benjatarn George »

I honestly really prefer books just because of the feel they have in my hands. When I am reading on my ebook the brightness and the digital screen just takes away from the wholesomeness of the book that I am reading.
Miyah Faith

Post by Miyah Faith »

Quite honestly, I love the feeling of curling up on a bed my favourite book in hand, with a tea next to me . However I do see the interest and practicality of having an ebook . I feel more connected to the story and the characters when I have a book in my hands, an ebook usually strains my eyes and there are far to many distractions so I can't fully emerge into the book .
Brendan Donaghy
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

A hard copy of a book wins for me every time. I can read e books, but I miss the sensory experience of the real thing! There's also something about a book which can trigger memories. Years later, I can still look at a book sitting on my shelf and recall where I was when I was reading it. It's harder to do that with an e book.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”